Tour Offer - no catches

Firstly let me say that I am NOT a tour operator, I am a teacher. For the offer I am about to make I want no money at all - not even expenses.

Here it is ...

If you are in England last week of July or the first two weeks of August, would you like a tour of the beautiful Northamptonshire Uplands? I would like to show somebody (up to 4) around for a day.

All you have to do is get a train to Northampton. I will collect you and return you to the station.

This is an honest offer - one CC'er to another.

Why am I doing it - yes, I would like to do this sometime in the future, in a few years when my children have been through university so this is an early bit of research but I would never dream of using these boards if it were to become a reality so please don't remove this post hosts!

This is just an honest offer. I also have a bit of pride in where I live and feel it is as a vastly over-looked area which tourists by-pass in their hurry to get to the Cotswolds.

I've thought about this for a while, I may be mad ... but here goes!

Hi There,

Do not worry you are not mad. or if you are you are not alone, have often helped out lost folk in the Stirling area, no point in trying to tell some one who is lost directions as they will just get lost again, better to say follow me.

I blame the Dutch for this as many many years ago while touring Europe by bike I got lost a priest on a bike came past on his bike stopped as he could see me holding a map, I told him where I wanted to go and he said follow me, he must have lead me for about an hour to get me to a point I could make my own way

yours Shogun

• 3 weeks later...

What a nice gesture. I wish I could take you up on your offer, We will be visiting your country for the first time this year, but not until September. And at that, we wont have much time to venture out from London.

I hope that you will find some nice people to take your generous offer.

Gail

What a lovely gesture.

Wish I could get there. It's definately on my list of places to visit.

I must admit when I read forums about Sydney (I live there) I have thought about it but thought people might think there was a catch.

My hubby refuses to drive to places on the outskirts of Sydney (he drives for a living) and it's so beautiful up in the blue mountains etc.

When I was in San Francisco a lovely lady I had been chatting to on a chat site invited us to her place for dinner. We had a fantastic time.

I have met many people from the Bali forum I frequent (as I go to Bali often).

• 1 month later...

Jane, I also work in a school, a high school in California. I will be in Liverpool next summer. Is that anywhere close by to you? My son and I are planning to attend the Open and then tour the surrounding areas. I would be happy for any advice you might have as to where we should go and what we should see in that part of the country. Judy:)

Thank-you for your kind words however, I've had no takers so I'm just enjoying my holiday (I'm a Primary School teacher).

Jane

x

Hi Judy,

Liverpool is about a 3 hour drive from me and I have to admit that I have never been there! I know that Chester is very beautiful - it is not too far away - www.visitchester.com .

If you firm up your plans, let me know and I will make some more suggestions if I can.

Also, if you do decide to come south, I would be happy to show you around.

Jane

x

jane.cartlidge@btopenworld.com

• 6 months later...

My 18 year old son and I will be traveling from London, through Wales, into Liverpool and on to Edinburgh. Our dates are from July 12 -26 and we will have a car. Will we be passing you on the way? I would love a tour. You can email me directly at jluvvs2trvl@aol.com Judy:)

Firstly let me say that I am NOT a tour operator, I am a teacher. For the offer I am about to make I want no money at all - not even expenses.

Here it is ...

If you are in England last week of July or the first two weeks of August, would you like a tour of the beautiful Northamptonshire Uplands? I would like to show somebody (up to 4) around for a day.

All you have to do is get a train to Northampton. I will collect you and return you to the station.

This is an honest offer - one CC'er to another.

Why am I doing it - yes, I would like to do this sometime in the future, in a few years when my children have been through university so this is an early bit of research but I would never dream of using these boards if it were to become a reality so please don't remove this post hosts!

This is just an honest offer. I also have a bit of pride in where I live and feel it is as a vastly over-looked area which tourists by-pass in their hurry to get to the Cotswolds.

I've thought about this for a while, I may be mad ... but here goes!

Don't worry - I'm completely normal!:D

Jane

x

Thats news to me Jane!!!!:D

Hope your tour will include showing my house round the corner! Just out of interest, what sort of places were you thinking of going to? I know Naseby is just up the road and I suppose Althorp (if its the right time of the year). How about the 'castles' on Kilsby tunnel? or are you just going to adjourn to the Crown! Hope you get some takers, it should be quite interesting.

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hi Jane,

That is a very generous offer. I would absolutely offer you a similar tour if you ever came to Houston! Unfortunately, we are zipping in and zipping out. I do have a question though about how to pronounce Harwich. I've heard the "w" is silent, but never having heard the word, I'm not sure of the rest of it.

So Har rhymes with "war" or sounds like "hair"

Silent W?

Then ich like "ick" or "itch"?

Is this the silliest question you have ever heard?

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Why not try: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch?!

It's the name of a small town in North Wales!

I can't get past the first syllable! However, I DO have on a bracelet today that has Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious engraved on it! Does this town have a nickname? Maybe GoGo?

The name is Welsh and actually means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave". Bit of a mouthful in any language so is known by the locals as 'Llanfair' for short. That is pronounced as 'Thir-lan-fair' and said quickly. Welsh is not an easy language! :confused:

Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to offer my tour idea to Judy as we couldn't tie-up times.

I'm available almost all of August if anyone is interested?

Jane

x

Your offer sounds fantastic! We will be in London (August 12-15) BUT there are 6 of us. This is a first trip for all of us. We leave Michigan August 11th and arrive in London August 12th (my birthday!) We are staying at City Inn Westminster until the 15th when we will go to Harwich to board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas! We have made no real plans while we are there, other than requesting tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. We may try to catch a play and we want to do sightseeing. We tried to request a private tour in London, but were told they were booked for the time we are there. We need to do some more exploring and determine what we want to do/how we can best do it. Yours is such a generous offer. Thanks for making the offer.

Deb

I can't get past the first syllable! However, I DO have on a bracelet today that has Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious engraved on it! Does this town have a nickname? Maybe GoGo?

Hi

Its often known as Llanfair-PG for short!

The name is Welsh and actually means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave". Bit of a mouthful in any language so is known by the locals as 'Llanfair' for short. That is pronounced as 'Thir-lan-fair' and said quickly. Welsh is not an easy language! :confused:

THIR! I have never heard that description, but how clever!

I think I would have said "um, put your teeth together and your tongue on the roof of your mouth and then, um, try to whistle?"

THIR! I love it!

Jana <<--Jones, heh heh

Archived