Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

This item brings to mind the many times on our balcony we have looked out to sea to see a small craft only to wonder if the occupants therein were in some form of trouble. Do we say something? No. Do we bring it to anyone's attention? No. We do not want to be seen as alarmists. But this report makes us realize that it is better to be in error than to be negligent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/17/cruise-company-ship-fishing-boat

This item brings to mind the many times on our balcony we have looked out to sea to see a small craft only to wonder if the occupants therein were in some form of trouble. Do we say something? No. Do we bring it to anyone's attention? No. We do not want to be seen as alarmists. But this report makes us realize that it is better to be in error than to be negligent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/17/cruise-company-ship-fishing-boat

Here is a more detailed report, very sad and the captain should have charges pressed against him, broke laws and now two people are dead because of it.

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20120413184536993

At least alert someone to get them help....the system failed including the us coast guard.

Here is a more detailed report, very sad and the captain should have charges pressed against him, broke laws and now two people are dead because of it.

Princess is usually very responsive when it comes to small ships in distress and have been involved in many rescues. Before we arrest the Captain, I'd like to hear both sides of the story.

Princess is usually very responsive when it comes to small ships in distress and have been involved in many rescues. Before we arrest the Captain, I'd like to hear both sides of the story.

Maybe you missed this part....here is Princess side

Judy Contacted Princess Cruise Lines:

• "I CONTACTED PRINCESS CRUISES when I read the news articles and asked them what the ship log showed for that day as I was concerned that the ship had ignored our request to check on the boat and that we had seen a boat in distress and that it could have been the Fifty Cents and Adrian Vasquez and his friends. It took several days but Princess got back to me and claimed that they were going through a fishing fleet at the time that we reported it. They told me that they sent my report higher up at Princess and did a full investigation that found that Princess had taken action about the time of our report. That they were in communication with the fishing boats and that the boat waving at us was thanking the ship for getting out of his way, that the ship moved to the west of him to get out of the path of his nets. I just don't know if this is the complete story or if it is true.
  • I thought if someone in Panama could follow up on any of it that the truth would be sorted out. So that is why I am asking if it is possible to get a photo of the Fifty Cents or a boat that is just like it. The boat we photographed looked bigger than 10 feet. If it was an active fishing boat and their story is true that is something. If it was a boat in distress, if Adrian saw a cruise ship on March 10th and it went sailing by him, that is important. Cruise ships are supposed to respond to emergencies at sea. Perhaps one of the families has an older photo of the Fifty Cents. If it was a small fishing 10 foot boat without a little roof in the middle then it probably was NOT the boat we saw.
  • It just keeps bothering me though, if we saw them and the boat kept going past, one of his buddies died that day and one 5 days later, and he was finally rescued 2 weeks after. I saw that you did two local stories on the boat and Adrian returning and I hoped you would have the time and interest to follow up and that you might be able to contact someone in their village and find out about the boat etc."

So, The Captain Was Lying: It's pretty clear at this point the Captain of the Star Princess lied about his contact with the "Fifty Cent" that day. He was not, in fact, "in contact" via radio with a fishing fleet - because they didn't have a radio. There was no need to maneuver to the West to avoid their fishing nets, because they were not fishing. They were waving their shirts and life preservers up and down, trying to be spotted, asking to be rescued. And, the captain blew them off. He made the fatal assumption that they were "just fishing." He turned slightly to avoid them, and he went on his merry way.

Like any story that gets in the news, it is often a good idea to wait for the facts before a rush to judgment. There have been quite a few posts on this sad story on the Princess Facebook page. Here is the latest Princess response - "We’re aware of the allegations that Star Princess supposedly passed by a boat in distress that was carrying three Panamanian fishermen on March 10, 2012. At this time we cannot verify the facts as reported, and we are currently conducting an internal investigation on the matter.

We were very saddened to learn that two lives were lost aboard the boat, and our thoughts and prayers are with the families involved.

Princess Cruises is dedicated to the highest standards of seamanship wherever our ships sail, and we understand it is our duty to assist any vessel in distress. We have come to the aid of many people at sea, and we will continue to do so."

Like Pam in the previous post we were also on this cruise. We never heard of anything or noticed anything unusual on that day.

We did see many many small fishing boats on this part of the cruise.

It's a tragedy, but if the Captain (and bridge crew) did not believe that there was an emergency, why would they stop? Having been on a few ships that have responded to emergencies at sea, I truly believe that the Captain did not act with malice nor negligence (I guess we'll see what the investigation turns up), but must have thought that everything was okay with the crew of the little boat. Otherwise, IMHO, they would have stopped and rendered assistance. This is one of the fundamental laws of the sea...

I can't believe the captain would not stop. Last time we were talking about stopping to help people and the captain stated that they have to. On our last two cruises, we have been invited to the bridge and there are always two staff that constantly watch the water. There is a voice recorder there so if they discussed it, it is on tape and I'm sure the coast guard will listen to it.

Maybe you missed this part....here is Princess side

Judy Contacted Princess Cruise Lines:

• "I CONTACTED PRINCESS CRUISES when I read the news articles and asked them what the ship log showed for that day as I was concerned that the ship had ignored our request to check on the boat and that we had seen a boat in distress and that it could have been the Fifty Cents and Adrian Vasquez and his friends. It took several days but Princess got back to me and claimed that they were going through a fishing fleet at the time that we reported it. They told me that they sent my report higher up at Princess and did a full investigation that found that Princess had taken action about the time of our report. That they were in communication with the fishing boats and that the boat waving at us was thanking the ship for getting out of his way, that the ship moved to the west of him to get out of the path of his nets. I just don't know if this is the complete story or if it is true.
  • I thought if someone in Panama could follow up on any of it that the truth would be sorted out. So that is why I am asking if it is possible to get a photo of the Fifty Cents or a boat that is just like it. The boat we photographed looked bigger than 10 feet. If it was an active fishing boat and their story is true that is something. If it was a boat in distress, if Adrian saw a cruise ship on March 10th and it went sailing by him, that is important. Cruise ships are supposed to respond to emergencies at sea. Perhaps one of the families has an older photo of the Fifty Cents. If it was a small fishing 10 foot boat without a little roof in the middle then it probably was NOT the boat we saw.
  • It just keeps bothering me though, if we saw them and the boat kept going past, one of his buddies died that day and one 5 days later, and he was finally rescued 2 weeks after. I saw that you did two local stories on the boat and Adrian returning and I hoped you would have the time and interest to follow up and that you might be able to contact someone in their village and find out about the boat etc."

So, The Captain Was Lying: It's pretty clear at this point the Captain of the Star Princess lied about his contact with the "Fifty Cent" that day. He was not, in fact, "in contact" via radio with a fishing fleet - because they didn't have a radio. There was no need to maneuver to the West to avoid their fishing nets, because they were not fishing. They were waving their shirts and life preservers up and down, trying to be spotted, asking to be rescued. And, the captain blew them off. He made the fatal assumption that they were "just fishing." He turned slightly to avoid them, and he went on his merry way.

That's a big ouch on the Princess name.

Boy, cruiselines sure are getting their share of bad press -- deserved or not.

I will wait to pass judgement when I hear the entire story from both sides. Not just a reporters version of it. I wonder who they reported this to aboard ship? I wouldnt even know who to contact to insure that they listened to me if I saw something like that. By the time you contact someone the boat has moved quite a ways away and they stated they were looking through very powerful binoculars.

I will wait to pass judgement when I hear the entire story from both sides. Not just a reporters version of it. I wonder who they reported this to aboard ship? I wouldnt even know who to contact to insure that they listened to me if I saw something like that. By the time you contact someone the boat has moved quite a ways away and they stated they were looking through very powerful binoculars.

I agree. The press is out for cruise line blood right now. I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

It's a tragedy however it's much too early for me to pass judgment on the actions of the crew of the Star Princess...I can't believe that anyone at sea would ignore anyone in distress.

They need to take their time to get all of the facts before blaming this tragedy on anyone. If the preliminary story turns out to be accurate, then I'll blame those responsible but not before hearing all sides of this tragedy.

I've heard too many 'factual' stories that turn out to not be as originally told...so I'll wait for the results of the investigation before accusing anyone of negligence.

I certainly believe that the Captain did not recognize the fact that the fishing boat was in trouble or he would have changed course and headed towards them to help. It was an extreme distance off and did not exhibit any standard recognized distress signals. I am sure that he feels terrible about this tragic loss of life. Like previously noted, Princess and, in fact, all major ships on the ocean are quick to respond to a distress signal, and history proves this fact.

Hindsight is always 20-20..

Let's not jump to conclusions about Capt Perrin's actions, we should be waiting for the outcome of an enquiry. I have sailed several times with Capt Perrin and I find it hard to believe that he would deliberately leave a stricken boat. He has many years experience and in a conversation with him a few years ago we were discussing problems at sea and he said that all captains were obliged to change course and go to the aid of any boat that may be in difficulties.

With all the problems that Carnival seems to be having this year, it seems like retraining and better PR should be top on the list. It is a Captain's legal resonsiblity to give aid to vessels! This Captain appears to have failed. I agree that we need to wait and see, but all to often things just seem to disappear with nothing is ever done to those responsible. Companies like Carnival/Princes just want the news cycle to pass and its back to business as usual. We the crusing public can not let this pass, with more than a white wash from the cruise operator. This seems to involve several pasasangers reporting to ship's officers about a vessel in distress and an ineffective ships leadership doing nothing.

A run around on something that happened more than 30 days ago must not slide away from the light of day. If the light of day was on the actions of the Concordia, perhaps all those who lost their lives, would be enjoying happy memories...

Lets Keep the pressure on...People and Companies need to take responsibility for their actions, if they did we would have a better world...

Archived