Traveling with a Drive Medical Phoenix 3 electric scoter.

CrusingJoe

We will be traveling with a Drive Medical Phoenix 3 electric scoter that can be disassembled into four pieces: seat, front section, rear section and the battery pack and will be flying on Aer Lingus from Boston to Barcelona and changing planes in Dublin with a one hour layover.

My questions: Should I take the battery pack and key on the plane or leave it them the scooter? Also how is Barcelona sidewalks for traveling with this type of scooter?

We have flown on Aer Lingus twice and changed planes both times in Dublin. Ruth has a Drive Medical Pheonix and I use a Buzz Around. Do not disassemble the scooter, but take your key. With such a short layover, they will probably check the scooter all the way through to Barcelona. Just show the person that takes you scooter in Boston where the knob is for the free wheel and impress upon them to reset it. Most luggage handlers already know how to handle the scooters.

Barcelona is probably the best city in Europe for getting around. You should not have any problems there. Also, most of the public transportation (buses, metro, funicular, etc.) is accessible. If you have time, you can see almost all of Barcelona on your own. However, Rome could be a challenge for you.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

We will be traveling with a Drive Medical Phoenix 3 electric scoter that can be disassembled into four pieces: seat, front section, rear section and the battery pack and will be flying on Aer Lingus from Boston to Barcelona and changing planes in Dublin with a one hour layover.

My questions: Should I take the battery pack and key on the plane or leave it them the scooter? Also how is Barcelona sidewalks for traveling with this type of scooter?

• Do not remove the battery pack
  • Yes remove the key. In fact make certain you bring an extra key with you just to be safe.
  • Would tape an instruction sheet to the scooter advising where the free wheel (neutral ) control lever is so that it can be safetly rolled. Also include in the instruction sheet that once the scooter is loaded on the plane that the free wheel ( neutral) control lever must be returned to the Drive Position so the scooter will no roll around in the luggage hold. Include in large bold letters and highlight ... DO NOT FORCE THE SCOOTER TO ROLL . SCOOTER MUST BE PLACED IN FREE ROLL NEUTRAL POSITION BEFORE PUSHING THE SCOOTER OTHERWISE THE MOTOR WILL BE DAMAGED. Remember different there will be different people unloading the scooter at your final destination that you will not have spoken too so it's important that you have instructions clearly afixed to the scooter.

Betty thank you so very much for your help. You have made our trip less worry free about the scooter. This is our first time traveling with a scooter.

We have flown on Aer Lingus twice and changed planes both times in Dublin. Ruth has a Drive Medical Pheonix and I use a Buzz Around. Do not disassemble the scooter, but take your key. I won’t and will take my key.

With such a short layover, they will probably check the scooter all the way through to Barcelona. We will gate check the scooter on the breezeway or should we check it in at the counter?

Just show the person that takes you scooter in Boston where the knob is for the free wheel and impress upon them to reset it. Most luggage handlers already know how to handle the scooters. I didn’t think of that, great idea.

Barcelona is probably the best city in Europe for getting around. You should not have any problems there. Also, most of the public transportation (buses, metro, funicular, etc.) is accessible. Do you mean we can take the scooter on them? What's the best way to get from the airport to our hotel with the scooter and luggage? I have read there is a bus that is much cheaper than a cab.

If you have time, you can see almost all of Barcelona on your own. However, Rome could be a challenge for you. Oh no, we were planning on doing Rome own our own, should we take one of the ship tours?

Betty, with all the helpful information you have given me, do you mind if I can pick your brain a little more? Our ports of call are; Cannes, France, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy, Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey, Athens (Piraeus) Greece, Mykonos, Greece and Naples (Salerno) Italy. If you have been there can you tell me if they are scooter friendly? And what to do and not do. Should I take a ship tour or do it on our own?

Best Regards,

Joe

Archived