Room Choice/Upgrade dilemna

alibabacruisers

Hi all,

I am wondering your thoughts. We booked an obstructed OV on QE, deck 4 and were upgraded to a Deluxe Inside, deck 8; which would you prefer? Anyone with this experience?

Secondly, if you had the Deluxe Inside, and were to be upgraded, what do you think an upgrade from that would be? Regular OV? or what?

Trying to decide what to keep or what to try for. I know that it is hit or miss and can never be truly figured out but I thought I would ask your opinions. This cruise is far enough away that I like fantasizing about possibilities....I know, I know....but it makes the time go by.

Thank you for your input!

Hi, Barbara!

I am very surprised that an inside (even if it is "Deluxe") is considered an upgrade from an obstructed view stateroom. I would have thought it would be the other way round.

Do you know what the inside is under? I found deck 8 much noisier in 2015 than my deck 7 in 2014. At least once a day all the furniture above me was moved around on the pool deck (and this was January on the North Atlantic).

Kathi

Hi all,

I am wondering your thoughts. We booked an obstructed OV on QE, deck 4 and were upgraded to a Deluxe Inside, deck 8; which would you prefer? Anyone with this experience?

Secondly, if you had the Deluxe Inside, and were to be upgraded, what do you think an upgrade from that would be? Regular OV? or what?

Trying to decide what to keep or what to try for. I know that it is hit or miss and can never be truly figured out but I thought I would ask your opinions. This cruise is far enough away that I like fantasizing about possibilities....I know, I know....but it makes the time go by.

In my book that's a 'downgrade'.

While natural light is very important to me at least there is a chance of the 'obstruction' not being that great.

Ii always thought that when you booked a cabin grade....guarantees included ...that would be the minimum grade that you would receive. When looking at the QE deck plans the grades go down in descending order and even the highest deluxe grade inside is lower than the lowest grade OV. I find it slightly disconcerting that Cunard can do that...give a down grade and pass it off as an "upgrade"

I'd agree with Jannette - did they automatically move you or did they call you to ask you to switch? Honestly I'd be upset if they just moved me without checking on a switch like this. It's totally up to you but I don't think this kind of move should have happened without your consent

Hi, Barbara!

I am very surprised that an inside (even if it is "Deluxe") is considered an upgrade from an obstructed view stateroom. I would have thought it would be the other way round.

Do you know what the inside is under? I found deck 8 much noisier in 2015 than my deck 7 in 2014. At least once a day all the furniture above me was moved around on the pool deck (and this was January on the North Atlantic).

Kathi

Hi Kathi! I know we thought it was strange too as we just booked two days prior and just happened to be checking to see if the VP was working when I noticed this change. We picked the Obstructed OV because it was at a price we liked and the grades above (OV, BAL) were a bit too pricy for us. I did not specify upgrade or no as I had forgotten to mention anything, one way or another, to the TA. I also wondered about the noise from the above pool area, but remember when we were on QE the last time we never saw anyone at that pool...I think if my memory serves it was a shallow pool. Plus this Deluxe Inside is next to, with a small "white" zone between, the laundry. Will have to check with the TA.

In my book that's a 'downgrade'.

While natural light is very important to me at least there is a chance of the 'obstruction' not being that great.

I was kind of thinking that too Richard. As I was saying to Kathi, we booked the obstructed because it was a price we could live with and the higher categories (OV, BALC) were a bit too much for us. But then I when I looked at the size of the room supposedly the Deluxe Inside is 18 sq compared to the Inside 14 sq and OV 16 sq. and that was the only way I could figure that could be an upgrade. Who knows how they define it?

Ii always thought that when you booked a cabin grade....guarantees included ...that would be the minimum grade that you would receive. When looking at the QE deck plans the grades go down in descending order and even the highest deluxe grade inside is lower than the lowest grade OV. I find it slightly disconcerting that Cunard can do that...give a down grade and pass it off as an "upgrade"

Yes J, I tried looking at it that way too....that maybe their "upgrade" idea went by the way the rooms are listed and in that case it would be considered a downgrade. I have ready so many posts over the years and it seems that in some cases the cruise line's idea of upgrade may be something we will never quite understand. When I booked I did not remember to let the TA know whether we wanted to be upgraded or not because we thought we had time to think about that more, but I only booked several days earlier and when I happen to check the VP, there it was. I will have to consider the possibilities and pros and cons and speak to the TA.

I'd agree with Jannette - did they automatically move you or did they call you to ask you to switch? Honestly I'd be upset if they just moved me without checking on a switch like this. It's totally up to you but I don't think this kind of move should have happened without your consent

Hi Kit, I had booked several days earlier and did not say one way or another, at the time, whether we wanted to be considered for an upgrade and I can't think of any other time when it happened this fast. After we have a think about it, we will contact the TA to try and deal with it. Guess I should have decided and made the comment to the TA when we booked, but as I said we did not remember to let her know.

Indeed, by what stretch of the imagination can moving passengers from a balcony cabin to an inside be considered an upgrade? Even with an obstructed view, there is still plenty of light and the availability of fresh air. If that happened to me I would be telling Cunard - via my TA - that if I wanted to travel in a "cupboard" I would have booked an inside, not a balcony stateroom.

Indeed, by what stretch of the imagination can moving passengers from a balcony cabin to an inside be considered an upgrade? Even with an obstructed view, there is still plenty of light and the availability of fresh air. If that happened to me I would be telling Cunard - via my TA - that if I wanted to travel in a "cupboard" I would have booked an inside, not a balcony stateroom.

The original booking was for an obstructed ocean view, not balcony. If that had been the case I would have already called them because there would have been no way they could say that was an upgrade!

It is definitely a downgrade. An OV is an higher grade than any inside cabin. I wouldn't be hesitating in contacting Cunard for an explanation of the downgrade and if no feasible explanation is given then what in the form of compensation are they offering...that is if you are willing to accept an inside cabin.

What if you were claustrophobic and couldn't cruise in an inside cabin.

I haven't cruised with Cunard but was seriously considering them but I am not sure now . As I said in my earlier post the grades are listed in descending order so anything offered below the grade ....or type....of cabin booked is a downgrade. If you don't ask the question you may never know if it was a genuine error and that they meant to upgrade you to an unobstructed view cabin Mistakes do happen

The original booking was for an obstructed ocean view, not balcony. If that had been the case I would have already called them because there would have been no way they could say that was an upgrade!

Thanks, I read that too quickly and misinterpreted it. But I agree with others that an inside is a downgrade.

Hi all,

Upgrades (I suppose) are based on the cost of the cruise and indeed Deluxe Insides GA GB GC can be more expensive than Obstructed Ocean views FB FC for example. Deluxe Insides are very good and pretty spacious, personally I have booked one in the past and been upgraded to a BE balcony which of course was very nice, (thank you Cunard).

Deluxe Inside or Ocean View Obstructed ? It is a close call and may depend on the specific cruise for me.

Just to update you all (thanks for all of your input on this thread!):)

The original booking was correct (Obstructed OV). The other booking we are guessing (Cunard, TA and us) was an overzealous agent who we got a quote from for this cruise in the early stages of our research. We got quite a few quotes (none were told to hold or given a down payment) so I still don't understanding how they were able to get Cunard to issue a booking number without a down payment or anything, but annyywwaayy.......That booking has disappeared now thereby dissolving the need for me to get upset and try to figure out upgrade vs downgrade, etc.

Whew! Now I can just enjoy the process of anticipating our cruise!:)

So glad that was resolved. When I did the 12 days Southampton to FLL in 2015, I called Cunard instead of having my TA do so. After they gave me all the information I told them I needed to think about it. They gave me a booking number although I did not give them any money. Next day I booked through my TA with that booking number. The person you talked to must have been able to do something similar.

It is definitely a downgrade. An OV is an higher grade than any inside cabin. I wouldn't be hesitating in contacting Cunard for an explanation of the downgrade and if no feasible explanation is given then what in the form of compensation are they offering...that is if you are willing to accept an inside cabin.

What if you were claustrophobic and couldn't cruise in an inside cabin.

I haven't cruised with Cunard but was seriously considering them but I am not sure now . As I said in my earlier post the grades are listed in descending order so anything offered below the grade ....or type....of cabin booked is a downgrade. If you don't ask the question you may never know if it was a genuine error and that they meant to upgrade you to an unobstructed view cabin Mistakes do happen

IMO hardly a reason not to book something on one's wishlist.

Simple really. Book what you want and make the statement 'NO UPGRADE".

This would depend what type of fare was booked at the time and which country it was booked in as UK booking options are Cunard Fare ,Early Saver or Saver only the Cunard Fare can be specified as no upgrade and were you can specify a specific stateroom number.

Luckily it all worked out well for the OP.

Edited by Pennbank

My point for having to consider whether I want to cruise with a particular cruise line is not about an upgrade but booking a particular grade and being downgraded to a lower grade than booked....

I do know that when I book a particular cabin to say no upgrade but at times I have booked a guarantee cabin of a certain grade/style. Would I think it alright to book a guarantee balcony cabin and end up with an OV cabin....no I would not