Arriving YVR, going to RCI ship -- customs wait?

Two 65+ adults arriving at YVR at 10:00am on a Wed (5?17) coming from Denver. What wait time can I probably expect to get through customs and head toward the train Canada Line to go to Waterfront St, then walking to Canada Place to check in to board ship? We plan to wait for and meet up with another couple arriving from Seattle on Alaska Air at 10:59am (one hour later after we arrive). Would it be better to wait for them before or after customs?

As long as the weather is nice is it a better walk from Waterfront Station going outside to Cordova St a couple blocks to Howe St.? If it's raining I suppose it would be better to go through the station to Howe st exit?

Easiest first - it's never better to head for the Howe St exit from Canada Line, because there is no Howe St exit from the Canada Line. You have to schlep your suitcases up & down internal levels to access the Expo Line platform - unless it's literally torrential rain not worth the grief (and if it is torrential rain, the block on Howe will get you soaked anyway!)

However you should probably just take a cab instead - it's not quite cheaper for four of you, since at least 2 are eligible for Concession fares, but the price difference is negligible (fixed rate CAD$35 in a cab vs. $31 if you're all Seniors).

Wait for them after immigration and customs. YVR website suggests the International Arrivals Lobby, but frankly if you are on time I'd suggest completely leaving the secure area and going for a coffee or something in the food court so you can get a seat more easily.

How long will Immigration/Customs take? Depends - partly on you, partly on volume, party on luck.

US citizens, no criminal record, no unusual declared items, not taken for secondary questioning - I'd guess you should be looking at 45mins or less from plane door opening via bag collection to getting through C&I. Your buddies should have a similar experience - so you can expect to be on your way to the cab queue or SkyTrain platform by noon, perhaps earlier depending how fast they collect their checked bags.

NB: this means you're arriving at absolutely the WORST embarkation time. Further, May 17th is a three-ship day and early in the season - that means huge queues, some inexperienced staff, possibly new processes still being mastered even by the experienced ones. It will likely be a big stinking mess - so meet your buddies, get downtown, drop your suitcases with the Longshoremen then go a wander and have lunch. Wait until 3pm before you come back to minimise queue time.

Thoughts....

• customs looks busy... but I found I can be with my luggage at the taxi stand 30 minutes after wheels down. You will be slower if you get randomly sent to secondary.
  • you want to meet your friends AFTER customs. This gives you a chance to retrieve your luggage off the belt. The longer luggage remains on the belt.... there's a greater chance it can be taken by mistake.
  • Depending on how much luggage you have.... you might want to ride the cab in together for $35 carload (USD$27) for all 4 of you.

I typically get a Canadian customs declaration card handed to me just before the plane lands.

If they run out or you don't get a card.... you can get a card just before seeing the customs officer.

Do we get a declaration card at the airport?

Right now, it's as xlxo says - but that's changing as of last month. The new 'kiosks for all pax' are already in place at Ottawa for live trials, and will roll out to all major Canadian airports over the next year-ish - not sure when they will launch at YVR, but there will probably be some publicity about it. So if you don't get a card on the plane, it may simply be the new process kicking in. Details of which airports it's rolled out to will appear here (not sure why they're putting an 'all travelers' info on the NEXUS pages, but they are).