More ships on the way

Pyroforyou

Saw this morning that Viking signed for 2 more cruise ships and may opt for 2 more. This makes 7 ocean cruise ships on order. I saw it on USA Today but cant link it since I am on my cell but I am sure someone will write the whole story soon. Hopefully they will free up some rooms with all these ships.

I guess with 3 to five ships yet to be named they need some suggestions. So far, they have chosen names for Star, Sea, Sky, Sun and Spirit. I have been expecting them to name one of the ships Saga and was expecting it to be number six and when they didn't name number 6 along with 4 and 5 I was surprised. Now I think they are holding off on the name until they name the others.

So, what other names can they choose for the last 5 ships besides Saga?

I like it! Sister ship to Viking Spirit. And Viking Song would be the Sister ship to Viking Saga.

The 6th ship has already been announced as Song, so we are actually talking about names for #7-10.

Wasn't there a Celebrity Horizon along with Zenith, Summit and Century?

Yes, only the Summit is still part of the Celebrity fleet.

My very first cruise was on the Century out of Barcelona in 2008. I was hooked on cruising after that sailing.

Sweet! Have they started building her? When is she due to start sailing?

Here is the full list, with dates:

Star (April 2015)

Sea (April 2016)

Sky (early 2017)

Sun (late 2017)

Spirit (2018)

Song (Sept. 2020)

[unnamed] (2021)

[unnamed] (2022)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=203

I agree that I would prefer Viking not choose names that are currently sailing on other lines. For those of us who read multiple Cruise Critic forums, it would be confusing when people use shorthand to say e.g. "Solstice" without specifying whether it is Celebrity or Viking. It's bad enough with current ships that share names with dearly departed ones. Maybe Renaissance was on to something when they named their ships R1, R2, etc.!

I like Solstice but someone already snagged it, so although it fits the pattern, it might be confusing.

Good point! When you stop and think about it there really are a lot of names that have been used already. It seems like Viking is focused (like a laser) on names beginning with "S". Has Sanctuary been used yet?

They definitely should use Saga. (it fits their pattern)

Good point! When you stop and think about it there really are a lot of names that have been used already. It seems like Viking is focused (like a laser) on names beginning with "S". Has Sanctuary been used yet?

They definitely should use Saga. (it fits their pattern)

My guess is that Saga will be number 10. I expected it to be number six but now that there are to be 10 ships...

They did a survey (through another firm so you weren't supposed to know what company was asking) and Saga and Saturn were two of the names on the lists we were shown. I'm not thrilled with Saturn but it is celestial --like Sun, Sky, Star.

You are right Perigina, Saga is excellent and links perfectly with Song

I did think of Spring and Summer but that might get a bit confusing. Imagine saying: "I am going on the Spring next Summer and have booked the Spring for Fall"

Shield and Sword are a bit warlike.

How about Viking Sleet and Viking Snow - OK maybe not :confused:

You are right Perigina, Saga is excellent and links perfectly with Song

I did think of Spring and Summer but that might get a bit confusing. Imagine saying: "I am going on the Spring next Summer and have booked the Spring for Fall"

Shield and Sword are a bit warlike.

How about Viking Sleet and Viking Snow - OK maybe not :confused:

Spring, Summer, Sleet and Snow do fit the natural phenomenom theme. Good thing Tsunami doesn't start with S.