Not a Fan!!!

Kat1824

I recently wrote a review on Escape but it seems they won't post it so here goes. We have been on to other cruise lines and enjoy them both this was our first time ncl.

I kind of felt during the trip there was never enough space anywhere wall-to-wall people and we did not really enjoy it . The area was extremely disappointing due to the size of the pool not enough pools and no tables to sit down and it's overcrowded we never even got a chance to go in the pool . We got off the ship before the hurricane Was to hit.

I also felt like it was the please bring your extra checkbook cuz there are extras everywhere -charges. !!!! Pay extra for shows glow cups etc. I mean really even Starbucks n bake shop was extra to and hardly ever open.

They said they would pro rate our unused days well the amount we got back is very disappointing! They also want to give us 25% towards another cruise u have to book it in one year and well this is not possible since our schedules for work are very hard.

So disappointed in NCL.

I recently wrote a review on Escape but it seems they won't post it so here goes. We have been on to other cruise lines and enjoy them both this was our first time ncl.

I kind of felt during the trip there was never enough space anywhere wall-to-wall people and we did not really enjoy it . The area was extremely disappointing due to the size of the pool not enough pools and no tables to sit down and it's overcrowded we never even got a chance to go in the pool . We got off the ship before the hurricane Was to hit.

I also felt like it was the please bring your extra checkbook cuz there are extras everywhere -charges. !!!! Pay extra for shows glow cups etc. I mean really even Starbucks n bake shop was extra to and hardly ever open.

They said they would pro rate our unused days well the amount we got back is very disappointing! They also want to give us 25% towards another cruise u have to book it in one year and well this is not possible since our schedules for work are very hard.

So disappointed in NCL.

What cruise lines do you usually sail that give you free Starbucks, specialty cupcakes, and "glow cups"? I'm on a RC cruise right now and I assure you they charge for all of that. They also have people hounding you when you're trying to eat in the buffet or relax elsewhere on the ship to buy dining packages, something that doesn't happen on NCL.

As for paying for shows on NCL, that's only shows that include a specialty meal.

If you're just annoyed that the cruise was interrupted by weather, that's no one's fault.

Last poster made some good points.

Also - as to reviews being posted. They do seem to take time. I do not think they refused assuming it was a balanced review.

Epic is a bit different than most NCL ships in layout.

ALL cruise ships have extra charges, except those that charge way more to begin with.

I've been on Escape and while I agree that some areas are crowded, there are also plenty of areas that are not. The Waterfront is usually calm, quiet, and mostly empty. Deck 20 usually has plenty of loungers even on sea days.

If you constantly try to walk through the busiest parts of the ship, it will be wall to wall people while the savy people find ways to get around while avoiding the congestion.

There is free coffee, there is "pay extra" coffee. There are free desserts, there are "pay extra" desserts. Same with restaurants, water, adult-only area, pool, etc. The choice is yours.

Last poster made some good points.

Also - as to reviews being posted. They do seem to take time. I do not think they refused assuming it was a balanced review.

Epic is a bit different than most NCL ships in layout.

ALL cruise ships have extra charges, except those that charge way more to begin with.

I believe the original post was about the Escape and not Epic.

What cruise lines do you usually sail that give you free Starbucks, specialty cupcakes, and "glow cups"? I'm on a RC cruise right now and I assure you they charge for all of that. They also have people hounding you when you're trying to eat in the buffet or relax elsewhere on the ship to buy dining packages, something that doesn't happen on NCL.

As for paying for shows on NCL, that's only shows that include a specialty meal.

If you're just annoyed that the cruise was interrupted by weather, that's no one's fault.

Celebrity includes specialty coffees from Cafe Al Bacio if you select the drink package as a perk, and the pastries(muffins, cookies, cakes, donuts) from there are included for everyone so they could be referring to a "Starbucks" type place. I've never seen any special glow cups on any cruise so I don't know what that means though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We've encountered crowds on a cruise ship, but those are usually in the main areas. Oftentimes we would go stern, find a bar/area where there is nobody, sit and enjoy the scenery.

As for pool chairs, anyone can have ours. We don't pay $3,000-$5,000 for a cruise to fight for a deck chair and sit by a pool....we can do that at home for free.

There are upcharges on any cruise however, nobody puts a gun to my head and forces us to pay for them...if we don't like the price we just decline.

We've encountered crowds on a cruise ship, but those are usually in the main areas. Oftentimes we would go stern, find a bar/area where there is nobody, sit and enjoy the scenery.

As for pool chairs, anyone can have ours. We don't pay $3,000-$5,000 for a cruise to fight for a deck chair and sit by a pool....we can do that at home for free.

There are upcharges on any cruise however, nobody puts a gun to my head and forces us to pay for them...if we don't like the price we just decline.

I agree with this. We just took our first Celebrity cruise, and had some things we liked, and some we didn't. Often, the things we didn't like were things that didn't have a good alternative (lack of alternatives for embarkation day lunch, for instance, and the poor breakfast offerings in all the venues). If they had a crowded area, but a less crowded one was available, then having the alternative available, even if we didn't use it, increased our feeling of satisfaction.

We saw as much upselling and "nickle and diming" on Celebrity as we do on our NCL cruises.

So disappointed in NCL.

In response to crowds, as other posters have said, yes, this is a common problem around the pools and in the elevators on the larger NCL ships. I remember about losing my sh!t because our first time on the Escape I was hangry and the boarding chaos once inside the ship was nuts. Luckily we were experienced cruisers, and knew where to go for food. It just took patience to muddle through the first 10 minutes of people. Same after the life boat drill. NCL deserves some flack for traffic flow issues, but know it's also a small city on a ship when you choose a mega ship.

I wonder if this is your first cruise, and you weren't prepared with what to expect related to extra costs. There are probably posts about this every five pages on here. :-) Any main stream cruise line approaches "extras" this way. There is PLENTY included in your cruise price. It just stinks to see something you think is included, only to find out it's not. I get that. Now, next time you cruise, whatever mainstream line (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal, Princess, Celebrity), you'll be more prepared. In fact, NCL is nice that it has some of the best options at sea, especially on the mega ships. So while there might not be as much "upcharging" on a smaller Princess ship, you have more options on the Norwegian Escape. So it might feel like the Escape nickels and dimes, but your fare-included items really include pretty much the same things across lines.

I hope you give cruising another shot!

My only cruising experience outside of NCL was three with RCCI.

RCCI charges extra for specialty bakery, Starbucks coffee, ice cream treats and milkshakes at Johnny Rockets. Try getting into the Ice Bar just for a look-see. Not!

As said before, the only NCL shows that cost extra are the ones that include dinner.

Not a big fan of the huge ships due to the crowds, but I will sail prepared to deal with them.

I suspect O.P. would find the same on all but the premium lines.

Sorry you felt this way. We loved the Escape so much that we got off and booked two more cruises on the Escape! Yes, it is a HUGE ship but we never felt over crowded and always found somewhere to sit and relax around the ship. We also never felt like we had to "bring our checkbooks", except for normal things that most all the cruise lines charge for. Going back next weekend and cant wait!

reviews seem to be taking longer than usual to post. i posted mine for the Jewel sailing on the 2nd and it isnt up yet. most recent reviews are from 4 weeks ago. CC must be behind.

i agree with PPs. celebrity may give you free specialty coffee, but your cruise fare is also a lot higher. id rather sail NCL and pay less since i dont drink specialty coffee and dont need bottled water. i also prefer the age demographic and activities on board NCL to the older crowd that the luxury lines attract. yes,t eh pools are small, but there are plenty of chairs. most people just want to be 2 feet from the pool. if you go up a deck, plenty of seating.

reviews seem to be taking longer than usual to post. i posted mine for the Jewel sailing on the 2nd and it isnt up yet. most recent reviews are from 4 weeks ago. CC must be behind.

i agree with PPs. celebrity may give you free specialty coffee, but your cruise fare is also a lot higher. id rather sail NCL and pay less since i dont drink specialty coffee and dont need bottled water. i also prefer the age demographic and activities on board NCL to the older crowd that the luxury lines attract. yes,t eh pools are small, but there are plenty of chairs. most people just want to be 2 feet from the pool. if you go up a deck, plenty of seating.

I don't agree with that statement at all that Celebrity is a lot higher in price. I'm currently looking at cruises to Asia and NCL is thousands more for a similar itinerary and an inferior drink package.

Last year I did a cruise to Israel and Turkey on Celebrity which was $899 for a 12 night cruise in a Concierge Class cabin that included pre paid gratuities and a drink package. The 11 night on NCL at the same time was $1500 per person standard balcony, didn't include Turkey, and if I selected the drink package I would have had to pay that additional gratuity and not gotten specialty coffee or bottled water included.

I know there is evidence to show the other way too, but all in all the major cruise lines are all pretty similar in pricing when all is said and done.

oh my, another I want I want poster. I do agree one of the problems with NCL especially the mega ships is the pool area and size of pools. And the location of the elevators is a royal pain, but certainly I would never base a cruise on these 2 factors.

Where did the OP get the idea shows cost extra> We have been to shows on all the NCL ships, only pay if there is a meal, just like other lines. And as for nickel and diming, there is not one thing you are required to pay extra for and lots of actities that cost nothing. If you choose to pay for specialty coffee for instance,that is your choice. I am not about to do so, but many others do. The same, as I am not a lover of mega ships, but not just NCL. I have been on Princess and totally disliked the ship.

OP, I look at your post this way, you felt you needed to vent, fine, you didn't help anyone, didn't give any positive suggestions and you made it clear NCL isn't for you. As for what you were or were not offered due to misisng a little time on your cruise, is it NCLs fault you can not work another cruise into your busy schedule? It is obvious NCL isn't your friend and I doubt you arfe theirs either. Hope you find a cruise that meets your expecations. Be thankful you made it back home before there was any serious damage done to the ship and you are safe.

So disappointed in NCL.

What was the amount that they should have pro-rated? If they didn't pro-rate you for the unused days, you should write a letter to them outlining how it should have been paid. Also, with regard to the 25%, could you ask them if you can book it within a year and then change it, if needed?

I haven't been on Escape but the small pool / limited pool seating does seem a common complain with the newer ships.

The must not have tried spice h20 while there is no pool there is an awesome waterfall feature/ grotto that I enjoyed and it is adults only there lots of seating when I sailed Escape including tables to sit at by the bar and food was close by

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol. McDonald's coffee is better than Starbucks. Plus it's a buck for a 20oz cup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I agree especially iced around 1pm.

I have a hard time with Starbucks prices or any expensive coffee house....give me my 100% dark roast Columbian and trusty Bodum French Press and I'm all set.