20/20 Cruise Ship Confidential: Should We Watch

stevenr597

I will be honest. I do not usually watch 20/20 (ABC) and I would have completely missed the episode on cruise ships if I had not been reading the Carnival Cruise Boards. Because of the comments I decided to review this episode.

Please note that my wife and family are big time cruisers, we have cruised more than 20 times on many of the cruise lines including Carnival, RCCL, Disney, Princess, and Celebrity. We are booked for Azamara.

We are also big time fans of the cruise industry and we do feel that taking a cruise is one of the best values for the money.

With that being said, we do feel that the 20/20 episode "Cruise Confidential" gives one much to think about. Questions we do feel that the cruise industry should answer will include:

1) How did such an incompetent individual as the Captain of the MS Costa Condordia ever get promited to such a high position?

2) Why were the safety mechanisms on the ship not working?

2) In an attempt to improve their profit margins, is the cruise industry overly promoting alcohol intake?

3) Are we seeing in increasing numbers groups of passengers (even gangs) becomming more disorderly, ruining the cruise for everyone else.

3) Is there enough security on these ships?

4) Are Mega-Cruiseliners as safe as they could be

5) Are the work conditions for the crew condusive to a safe ship?

I would suggest that people do watch the ABC 20/20 episode. I have taken the liberty of posting it on the website.

http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55165067/2020-120-cruise-ship-confidential/?cid=syndvid_yidio

I watched it, have been on 10 cruises and have never seen the kind of behavior they displayed, and I find it hard to believe all that can go on in the crew area...It just appeared to be a total slam on industry.. I do believe a little more security could be in order...

I think you raise interesting questions to ponder. And although I find it hard to believe the situation with the crew, everyone who writes about it tells about the same story. Which leads me to think that it is not inaccurate.

I have never seen the kind of passenger behaviour either, but then I am rarely wandering the ship late at night and don't think I have ever been in the disco. And always take at least 7 day trips, which also tend to be a bit less frenetic. I have seen a bit in port- some of the bar scenes there are pretty over the top.

As far as security- hmm. The statistics suggest that there is NOT a problem- the crime rate on cruise ships is very significantly lower than even small towns.

I didn't see the entire episode but what I did watch of it was nothing but overblown and over-hyped sensationalism. :rolleyes: I also think it is in rather poor taste of the network to use the Costa tragedy to their own benefit (Re: owned by Disney).

Do I think he cruise lines have some issues that need to be addressed? Yes. But after taking 6 cruises and spending more than 40 nights at sea on a Carnival ship I have NEVER seen anything like the behaviour displayed on the show. Not saying it didn't happen. Just saying it is no where near as bad as they tried to make it out to be by stringing together every you tube clip they could find with the word "cruise" in the title. :rolleyes:

This is the only thing I can reply too since I have not seen it yet but I did tape it.

1) How did such an incompetent individual as the Captain of the MS Costa Condordia ever get promited to such a high position? Management. IMO you cannot go that far along w/o someone promoting someone and not seeing the signs. They all should fall like blocks into the same cell he is in just like the the people in the Penn state scandal unless proven otherwise.

How long has he been deviating from the course and no one said anything? I cannot believe this is the first time he did this. I think the crew saw this but what could they say or did they think it was okay?

I watched it and, with the exception of the all-too-brief segment on Concordia (and I agree, there are a lot of unanswered questions there), I thought the rest of the program was a lot of rubbish. In 15 cruises, the worst "fight" I've ever seen was two women in an argument over a deck chair. As for alcohol - sure, they promote "drinks of the day" and "beer by the bucket" - but I've never had anyone trying to pour booze down my throat. In fact, we've had cruises where we've had trouble getting bar service in the dining room to order a cocktail before dinner.

i don't get offended when i see shows with udercover cameras with auto service shops, locksmiths, and tsa/airliners.

but i'm sure those industries are just as po'd when they are featured on these tabloid news shows.

no, i have yet to see any of this type of behavior on board, but it's funny how many are getting upset and posting about it.

i don't get offended when i see shows with udercover cameras with auto service shops, locksmiths, and tsa/airliners.

but i'm sure those industries are just as po'd when they are featured on these tabloid news shows.

no, i have yet to see any of this type of behavior on board, but it's funny how many are getting upset and posting about it.

And how many stories I have read on CC about battles and drunks. All of a sudden all those stories are forgotten?

I was able to watch part of this show last night and many of the "worst case scenarios" were portrayed. However, I think it has to be taken with a grain of salt just like everything else. I don't think anything was blatant lies, because it has happened at one time or another. They just didn't make it as clear that it doesn't happen a lot more than it does happen.

I will be leaving on the Conquest at the end of February and have been reading quite a few books that I came across including, "Cruise Confidential", "Working on Cruise Ships", and "Cruise Ship Blues"-all about the underside of the cruise ship industry. Many of the same accusations are in these books. It's definitely an eye-opener and makes you think.

I will be honest. I do not usually watch 20/20 (ABC) and I would have completely missed the episode on cruise ships if I had not been reading the Carnival Cruise Boards. Because of the comments I decided to review this episode.

Please note that my wife and family are big time cruisers, we have cruised more than 20 times on many of the cruise lines including Carnival, RCCL, Disney, Princess, and Celebrity. We are booked for Azamara.

We are also big time fans of the cruise industry and we do feel that taking a cruise is one of the best values for the money.

With that being said, we do feel that the 20/20 episode "Cruise Confidential" gives one much to think about. Questions we do feel that the cruise industry should answer will include:

1) How did such an incompetent individual as the Captain of the MS Costa Condordia ever get promited to such a high position?

2) In an attempt to improve their profit margins, is the cruise industry overly promoting alcohol intake?

3) Are we seeing in increasing numbers groups of passengers (even gangs) becomming more disorderly, ruining the cruise for everyone else.

I would suggest that people do watch the ABC 20/20 episode. I have taken the liberty of posting it on the website.

http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55165067/2020-120-cruise-ship-confidential/?cid=syndvid_yidio

Ok just watched it. Here are my thoughts.

2) Why were the safety mechanisms on the ship not working? Everything seemed to be working. What was not working? Ladders, people, and boats were going down but not at the appropriate time. If the so called Caption called time to go instead of an electrical problem then both sides of the ships boats could of been used.

2) In an attempt to improve their profit margins, is the cruise industry overly promoting alcohol intake? I don't think they promote it. I can get the same stuff here in tally. It is there and people just go for it. It is their vacation.

3) Are we seeing in increasing numbers groups of passengers (even gangs) becoming more disorderly, ruining the cruise for everyone else. No, never seen a gang or fights on a ship. I see more looking out my work window.

3) Is there enough security on these ships? Yes and I can prove it by them snooping into my bags.

4) Are Mega-Cruiseliners as safe as they could be? No, but this is a big wake up call to everyone to improve on who they hire.

5) Are the work conditions for the crew condusive to a safe ship? How they sleep or play is ok with me. If there is a problem w/ an employee then I would hope that management would know about it. I believe it goes back to management.

I rather disagree about the alcohol promotion. Part of being on a ship. Yes, of course I can get whatever I want here on land. But I don't personally have a dozen bars in my house with waiters dropping by whenever I am sitting around. .Nor are there any wandering around the local pool. Or theater. And cruiselines are open about the fact that it is alcohol sales that usually make or break the profit. And to read many many posts on CC, there is a signficant focus on drinking onboard.

While this is fine for most people, there are some who cannot handle the alcohol and over do it. Some very signficantly. I for one know that I drink more onboard than I do at home. A drink after lunch? Virtually never at home but gee those umbrella drinks look nice after a pleasant lunch. Or sitting by the pool. And I don't have to move, or give them money- just hand them the card and they will deliver it up to e. So to my mind a part of it is the situation and a part of it is being encouraged.

I watched it, have been on 10 cruises and have never seen the kind of behavior they displayed, and I find it hard to believe all that can go on in the crew area...It just appeared to be a total slam on industry.. I do believe a little more security could be in order...

Like all other TV shows, 20/20 has to have some element of entertainment. I agree that I have not seen over the top behavior before in the cruises I have been on. I know I can only speak from my experiences and it is not beyond imagination that inappropriate behavior does happen by passengers. At the end of the day though 20/20 needs to entertain and keep viewers interest. Slamming the cruise industry gets more viewers so sensationalizing events I guess is their job.

On another note, I am truly sorry for all who have found loss from the events that happened on the Costa ship.

I rather disagree about the alcohol promotion. Part of being on a ship. Yes, of course I can get whatever I want here on land. But I don't personally have a dozen bars in my house with waiters dropping by whenever I am sitting around. .Nor are there any wandering around the local pool. Or theater. And cruiselines are open about the fact that it is alcohol sales that usually make or break the profit. And to read many many posts on CC, there is a signficant focus on drinking onboard.

While this is fine for most people, there are some who cannot handle the alcohol and over do it. Some very signficantly. I for one know that I drink more onboard than I do at home. A drink after lunch? Virtually never at home but gee those umbrella drinks look nice after a pleasant lunch. Or sitting by the pool. And I don't have to move, or give them money- just hand them the card and they will deliver it up to e. So to my mind a part of it is the situation and a part of it is being encouraged.

Yep, I take back my statement there! They are there at every turn.

Thank you for sharing the post for 20/20. I have yet to see the episode. However, I had the opportunity to cruise with Carnival to Mexican Riviera, the moment the cruise took off, the alcohol was flowing. The first night, there were vomit along the hallway to the room! St Patrick day fell on one of the cruise night, it was mayhem! I have witnessed the following:

1. Bottle of beer was in the hand of teenagers who were clearly underage, barely walking straight in their heels! It wasn't just one teenagers, there were many of them in a drunken state

2. A drunk passenger (approximately age early 30's) was harassing a group of teenagers who were clearly scared out of their wits until a passenger intervene.

3. One of the drunk passenger pushed my kid when he was walking by

Incidents such as this brought question into mind:

- Were they checking ID before you serve alcohol to people especially when they are at a questionable age?

- Is there a age restriction for alcohol in international water?

- Should they not stop serving alcohol to passenger when they are clearly drunk?

We are aware that they make alot of money from alcohol, but surely they should take some responsiblility when they serve their passengers? Or is that asking too much?

We were at the security office after my child got pushed by another drunk passenger, the poor security office were very busy with lots of incoming call with passengers causing mayhem.

On another note, after the Costa incident, we called Carnival to find out the name of our captain for the upcoming cruise. Then we found out that all the captains on Carnival are Italians. We are trying to figure why?

These are account of my personal experience, having said that, the crew that worked on Carnival are excellent. We are going to another Carnival cruise in March.

I have been on 7 cruises with my family which includes my 73 and 75 year old parents. I would not include them in this family vacation if there was crazy and drunk people all over the ship. Yes there are alot of people having fun but I have never seen any one so drunk that there were fights or falling over the place. There is security everywhere on the ship and the person recording the fight in the club on 20/20 was probably recording his own friends for entertainment for You Tube. Yes they pulled videos off You Tube where people post because they think its funny to act foolish to remind them about their actions later. Why didnt 20/20 post videos on You Tube that celebrated weddings, honeymoons, birthday an anniversary celebrations which I just celebrated my 30th and the Maitre D sang to us in front of the whole dining room and made us feel really special. I am a fortunate one to still have my parents around and they also commented if people dont want to see dancing and people carrying on in the Clubs dont walk in there. There are alot of memories on all of my cruises more positive than negative. The only negative thing I have to say about my cruises is that I have to pack and go home after 5 to 7 wonderful days without worries and phones and stress. The crew are hard workers and I personally spoke to them and they are happy making people happy and my 21 year old daughter made alot of friends on my last cruise and they all had respect for her and she said there were some language barriers but they were awesome people to meet and get to know. They never crossed the line and had fun in the clubs dancing with her and her friend. I drank tea every dinner and all day long and never had a problem saying no thanks if any body asked me if I wanted a drink. So the bottom line is that they should of reported all the good things about cruising like having fun, being treated right and the great memories.

:):):):)

I watched it and some of it was over the top. I commend the president of CLIA to say that cruising is safe and that in 30+ years there have only been 16 deaths related to ships and that would include balcony jumpers until the Cost Concordia.

Crew parties--I have done the Behind the Fun tour and I tend to not believe that the stories of wild, crazy parties that go on in the crew lounge. The crew lounge is not large and probably could comfortably hold maybe 50 people at the max.

Ship captain's--He *beeped* up, but when it gets right down to it the captains are promoted based on seamanship skills, years at sea, and the vessel license they hold. He proved his skills and was promoted, but perhaps they need to question captains on judgement calls, such as would you break a maratime and cruise line rule if you thought nothing could happen? If the answer is YES, don't promote and remind them that the not every inch of the sea floor is mapped and no one knows where hidden dangers lie!!!!!

Thank you for sharing the post for 20/20. I have yet to see the episode. However, I had the opportunity to cruise with Carnival to Mexican Riviera, the moment the cruise took off, the alcohol was flowing. The first night, there were vomit along the hallway to the room! St Patrick day fell on one of the cruise night, it was mayhem! I have witnessed the following:

1. Bottle of beer was in the hand of teenagers who were clearly underage, barely walking straight in their heels! It wasn't just one teenagers, there were many of them in a drunken state

2. A drunk passenger (approximately age early 30's) was harassing a group of teenagers who were clearly scared out of their wits until a passenger intervene.

3. One of the drunk passenger pushed my kid when he was walking by

Incidents such as this brought question into mind:

- Were they checking ID before you serve alcohol to people especially when they are at a questionable age?

- Is there a age restriction for alcohol in international water?

- Should they not stop serving alcohol to passenger when they are clearly drunk?

We are aware that they make alot of money from alcohol, but surely they should take some responsiblility when they serve their passengers? Or is that asking too much?

We were at the security office after my child got pushed by another drunk passenger, the poor security office were very busy with lots of incoming call with passengers causing mayhem.

On another note, after the Costa incident, we called Carnival to find out the name of our captain for the upcoming cruise. Then we found out that all the captains on Carnival are Italians. We are trying to figure why?

These are account of my personal experience, having said that, the crew that worked on Carnival are excellent. We are going to another Carnival cruise in March.

When your sail and sign card is swiped in the FSS machine, if you are under 21 it comes up red and states your age! Bartenders are not supposed to charge minors cards for alcohol purchases!!!! Hope this helps!!!

Crew parties--I have done the Behind the Fun tour and I tend to not believe that the stories of wild, crazy parties that go on in the crew lounge. The crew lounge is not large and probably could comfortably hold maybe 50 people at the max.

I'm wondering whether some of those videos of "wild and crazy" parties come from some of the repositioning cruises when there are no pax aboard.

So my BF and I met a couple 2 years ago (they were sitting next to our Your Time table at dinner), and she seemed to be a rather friendly type and having a good time. She was a little tipsy most of the time when we saw her, but not a problem in my opinion. By the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, she had been cut off, her card alerted the bar staff that she was not allowed any more alcohol. My BF stated he saw a little box attached to the door of their cabin. We saw the husband one time after that and then didn't see them for the rest of the 8 day cruise. I think Carnival went above and beyond to protect that passenger and all other passengers from what didn't seem to be but might have become a problem. Whether they were confined to their cabin or if they did debark at the next port, we never found out. None of our business.

Just finished watching the episode and I think it is comical that EVERY SINGLE NEGATIVE story had to with a Carnival ship. Suggesting that nothing bad happens on any other cruise line…and ABC just happens to be owned by the Disney Corporation. And was I suppose to feel bad for the drunk guy that fell overboard and was in the water for 17 hours? How about a little self restraint and taking responsibility for your actions? I have cruised with Carnival multiple times and have NEVER had a problem. I will continue to cruise, with Carnival, and whatever other cruise line gives me a great deal!!

I didnt get to watch this episode but I am finding it hard to believe the media sensationalizing of this tragic event on all fronts..

If you have seen one of the "Entertainment" shows lately they are doing a run of Concordia video and scenes from the movie Titanic. They are doing the episodes in such a way that it is hard for the viewer to tell which is which. And of course everything is "eerily" similar according to the hype.:rolleyes:

And getting the stars to comment on how these poor people must have felt:confused: And apparently a movie is already in the works! Unreal..

When your sail and sign card is swiped in the FSS machine, if you are under 21 it comes up red and states your age! Bartenders are not supposed to charge minors cards for alcohol purchases!!!! Hope this helps!!!

Thank you for the clarification,

Archived