Salerno to Herculaneum

Wiltonian

This is based on my research (meaning I haven't actually done it) but you should be able to get off the train (Salerno-Naples line) at a stop called Portici-Ercolano, which is about 8 minutes or so before you'd reach Naples.

From there, it's a bit more of a walk to the ruins (and apparently not signposted) than from the Ercolano Scavi stop on the Circumvesuviana line, but perhaps you can make a Google map and figure out a route. I did read somewhere not to count on a taxi at the station.

Edited to add: Here's a Google map I created: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Piazza+S.+Pasquale,+8,+Portici,+Napoli,+Italy&daddr=Ercolano+Scavi,+Ercolano,+Naples,+Italy&hl=en&ll=40.808125,14.342823&spn=0.00981,0.024719&sll=40.810089,14.342905&sspn=0.009809,0.024719&geocode=FaS1bgIdgMHaACmV80AI46Y7EzHebIS7ZMJ59A%3BFcimbgIdXvPaACGKe0R4m1GuLCmljKOx7qY7EzGKe0R4m1GuLA&oq=Ercolano+Scavi&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=16

Looks like about a 25-30 minute walk.

Edited by cruisemom42

Cruisemom is correct; the closest Trenitalia station is Portici-Ercolano. It's located at Piazza S. Pasquale, Portici and is a little over a mile from the entrance to the excavations, which is located at the intersection of Corso Resina and Via 4 Novembre, Ercolano. That should give you enough information to map it out.

The train from Salerno takes between 40 minutes to one hour, depending on the number of stops. When I took it last year (in the other direction, from Naples to Salerno) it was absolutely packed with students who all got off at Nocera, I think.

It's all down hill going to the ruins but on the walk back I would count on working up a sweat in August. Luckily there are a few gelato stands along the way to catch your breath ;)

That's true from the Circumvesuviana, but it's the other way around from Trenitalia. The ruins are uphill from the station, which is quite near the coast.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Our cruise stop at Salerno and I want to visit Herculaneum and Mount Vesuvius (I already visited Pompeii before).

I saw there is a train that goes from Salerno to Naples, and that there is a train station "Portici-Ercolano" near the Herculaneum.

But I cannot find how to book a train from Salerno to Portici-Ercolano. When I look on the "trenitalia" website, it always suggest a two steps routes, Salerno to Naples by train then Naples to Ercolano by bus !

Can someone confirm me that it is possible to take the train from Salerno to Portici-Ercolano ?

And do you have any idea how much would cost a taxi from Herculaneum to Mount Vesuvius with a 2 hours wait there ?

Thanks

I saw there is a train that goes from Salerno to Naples, and that there is a train station "Portici-Ercolano" near the Herculaneum.

But I cannot find how to book a train from Salerno to Portici-Ercolano. When I look on the "trenitalia" website, it always suggest a two steps routes, Salerno to Naples by train then Naples to Ercolano by bus !

Can someone confirm me that it is possible to take the train from Salerno to Portici-Ercolano ?

And do you have any idea how much would cost a taxi from Herculaneum to Mount Vesuvius with a 2 hours wait there ?

It took a little research to come up with the answer for you.

There was a partial collapse of a building onto the tracks at Portici on February 5th of this year, resulting in the closure of the station while they determine if the area is stable. As a result, there are no trains stopping here until further notice. All service has been replaced by buses.

In any event, you would not be able to purchase tickets in advance as this is a regional line.

Are you up for a little walking? If so, you could take Trenitalia from Salerno to Pompei and walk from there to the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana station and get to Ercolano that way. The walk between the two stations is 1.1 miles, almost entirely on one road, and is flat. I've done it before when there was a train strike and I had to get from the one that was on strike to the one that wasn't.

You could probably get a taxi to take you if you'd rather not walk.

While this may sound a bit convoluted, I think it's the simplest and probably fastest solution, rather than going all the way to Naples and turning around to come back.

• 1 year later...
Thanks! It'll be in October, so the walk shouldn't be the issue it might be in a hot August.

Stuart

Good morning Wilts...

What date will you doing the train journey to Herculanium please as we are there later this month after docking at Salerno on the Queen Vic.

If you could email me, that would be great.

Many Thanks.

Paul

Anyorderonline@live.co.uk

Good morning Wilts...

What date will you doing the train journey to Herculanium please as we are there later this month after docking at Salerno on the Queen Vic.

If you could email me, that would be great.

Many Thanks.

Paul

Anyorderonline@live.co.uk

You seem to have missed that Wiltonian posted this question in January 2014