cheap 1way air from Australia to US

senior49

DH and I will be returning from Australia back to US the end of Nov. 2012. Anyone know of any decent 1way airlines from Sydney back to US. I'm also looking into trying to find a cruise back to the US from somewhere in that area. Can't find anything on that either.

Thanks for your help

Senior49:)

There aren't going to be any ships leaving Austrailia until spring. They are going TO there in November.

What were the rates like when you booked this cruise??? If they are climbing, then perhaps you need to book sooner, rather than later.

Los Angeles to Sydney is amongst the longest flights in the world. The amount of fuel needed alone means your ticket isn't going to be "cheap". Add to that a one-way fare, which almost always means it will be more expensive. For a coach, one-way, I would GUESS (just guess) US$2,000 per person, but it might be more. That's for Los Angeles to Sydney only (not counting a start from somewhere else).

We flew JetStar to Honolulu, stayed there for a few nights, then flew domestic to the US. Keep a close eye on JetStar, because they usually have "sales" this time of year. If the price is right, I highly recommend their business class, as the seats are very comfy.

Breaking up the flight and staying in Honolulu was a very relaxing way to get home, and we got a budget hotel so the extra $$ were minimal. Better than suffering a really, really long flight, IMO.

Hawaiian Air also flys between HNL and SYD and to many cities on the US west coast. Also, they have a partnership with AA; so you can fly transcon on AA and then on Hawaiian to HNL connecting to a SYD flight (or reverse). I've heard their SYD flights are attractive because their time is different and often more convenient than other US-Oz flights...but it might involve an overnight in HNL like Jetstar does.

Another little-known possibility is CO. They fly between HNL and Cairns via Guam.

My experience has been that one way tickets can be quite reasonable when purchased through the cruise line.

We flew back to the US last December following a cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. I had purchased RT tickets on Alaska Airlines for the Honolulu to Fairbanks segments. We then needed oneway tickets from Sydney to Honolulu. I checked numerous websites and so forth, and found that air purchased through the cruise line was by far cheaper than any other source. I have also purchased one way air from Europe through the cruise line on transatlantic cruises since the one way was so much cheaper through the cruise line. I scheduled the flights so that after we flew from Sydney to Honolulu we spent several more days in Hawaii before returning home to Alaska.

If you do purchase air through the cruise line do your research, ask questions and read the fine print carefully.

Florida to Houston/Denver/San Francisco/LA to Honolulu to Guam to Cairns to Sydney? Kill me now...

Keyword, "possibility". I forget if it was here or another board, but I suggested CO and it worked perfectly with one person's plans.

Los Angeles to Sydney is amongst the longest flights in the world. The amount of fuel needed alone means your ticket isn't going to be "cheap". Add to that a one-way fare, which almost always means it will be more expensive. For a coach, one-way, I would GUESS (just guess) US$2,000 per person, but it might be more. That's for Los Angeles to Sydney only (not counting a start from somewhere else).

Lol.

No no no no

$2.000. More like $600-$800 one way from the West Coast.

Most airlines these days price by sector. It doesn't matter if your doing a return journey it's not cheaper. They will quote you on their website Lax-Syd/Mel and give you a fare then Syd/Mel- Lax and give you another and you just add them together. Has been this way for a long time.

Archived