Fresh ideas needed-Venice

kadey

We are leaving out of Venice (in 2 weeks!!) and arrive the early morning the day before the ship leaves. We love Venice but have been there quite a few time and I just started wondering….besides the typical Murano,Burano,Lido,ect.is there somewhere else we should spend our time that would be new to us? We are willing to stay overnight and train back in the day of embarkment. When we were in Florence we were able to go overnight into Tuscany and it was easy to get back to Florence for our trip. Don't get me wrong…if this isn't possible, we are still thrilled to be in Venice!! Thanks! Kade

Have you done the Peggy Guggenheim Museum (Gallery) on the Grand Canal .

Also we like the Behind the scenes Doges Palace Tour which you can only access those areas with the tour . For both pre book to avoid the queues via tickitaly website .

We also loved taking in an Opera in a private Palace beside the Grand Canal. Small audience only 80 persons . Book on line via classictic website. Enter Italy , Venice your date and venue is Palazzo Barbarigo Minotto . Operas performed nightly . You get there down the Grand Canal to the designated Vaporetto stop then walk to the entry 100m or so. Plenty of restaurants near by .

Although we are very adventurous DIYers, not sure we would recommend going anywhere for just one night. The problem is that you are there a bit early for the Lake District (i.e. Lake Garda) or even Verona (best to go there for the amazing Opera season...which does not begin until June 20). We have also been to Venice many times (on cruises and land trips) and we like to seek out new parts of the city we have not previously visited. Just wondering the back streets can be fun. If you have not yet gone over to Lido, that is certainly a place you can explore for a few hours. We also like exploring the small streets around the Campo Santa Margherita and will sometimes walk in the University neighborhood. Many visitors just go to San Marks Sq, the Rialto Bridge and then think they have seen Venice. NOT! We also agree with the recommendation to visit the Peggy Guggenheim Museum...and while you are there you can explore the neighborhood where we have stumbled on some nice shops and cafes.

Hank

I did some cc research on this in January and found the following post:

"We have done several cruises leaving from Venice and considered going to Verona last Oct. We had already been to Murano and Burano and wanted somewhere different. I did a lot of research and felt for the cost of the train ticket and trying to catch trains that we really didn't want to see another Italian town with churches and museums. We landed up taking the vaporetto and bus to Chioggia the last island in the Venice lagoon. We have always been interested in the Moses project and wanted to see how it would be possible to "close off" the lagoon. We took the vaporetto to Lido and rode a bus to the end of that island. The bus goes onto a ferry for a short ride to the next island, Pellestrina, and then drives to the end of that island. From there you take another vaporetto to Chioggia. It was quite an adventure. Chioggia is a very nice fishing town with lots of good restaurants. It is connected to the mainland by a short bridge. You can take a bus back to Plazzale Roma or reverse your trip back. We went back the same way we came and stopped at Pellestrina for a while. All the transportation is covered with a vaporetto pass."

Definitely sounds like an adventure. We have an extra full day in Venice this September. I had been considering the poster's first idea of going to Verona by train and haven't completely decided yet what we'll do. We're also not into (most) museums and churches in a big way but love picturesque places that are pedestrian friendly. (Hank, have you been to Chioggia?)

No, we have never gone to Chioggia although in the olden days when I loved to walk many miles...I did walk to that end of Lido (but never took the ferry). In fact, although we have heard about Chioggia....we have never met anyone who went to Chioggia. Your post really got my interest...so I guess we will have to make the trek the next time we are in Venice. Sounds like fun. I should mention that the last time we were in Venice we noticed that the construction on the so-called "Moses" project (the floodgates) seemed to be moving along. We had a pretty good view of some of the construction as we cruised though the Lagoon.

Hank

No, we have never gone to Chioggia although in the olden days when I loved to walk many miles...I did walk to that end of Lido (but never took the ferry). In fact, although we have heard about Chioggia....we have never met anyone who went to Chioggia. Your post really got my interest...so I guess we will have to make the trek the next time we are in Venice. Sounds like fun. I should mention that the last time we were in Venice we noticed that the construction on the so-called "Moses" project (the floodgates) seemed to be moving along. We had a pretty good view of some of the construction as we cruised though the Lagoon.

Hank

Hank, thanks for your reply.

We had a lunch stop in Verona many years ago on a coach tour. I just wonder which excursion might be more interesting (to us:confused:). Of course, only we can answer (that) but, dang, I hate to miss good things!