Anna Nichole Smith's grave

Caribbean Allan

I know this sounds ridiculous, but my girlfriend really wants to see Anna Nichole Smith's grave in the Bahamas. I agreed that I'd go if she would agree to go with me to sit under the flight path in St Marteen. Can anyone tell me if the grave site is open for visits? I've read posts from 2007 that said guards won't let people in the cemetery unless you are visiting a (deceased) relative. I also read you can bribe a taxi driver to get you in. He'll lie for you.. :) But that was 7 years ago. Has that changed? How can we get inside?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but my girlfriend really wants to see Anna Nichole Smith's grave in the Bahamas. I agreed that I'd go if she would agree to go with me to sit under the flight path in St Marteen. Can anyone tell me if the grave site is open for visits? I've read posts from 2007 that said guards won't let people in the cemetery unless you are visiting a (deceased) relative. I also read you can bribe a taxi driver to get you in. He'll lie for you.. :) But that was 7 years ago. Has that changed? How can we get inside?

It's not open to the public. Some unscrupulous taxi drivers will take you out there and point to a tomb and tell you it's anna nicole.. but it's not.

She's buried in the back of the property and security will not let you thru.

Security is not only for anna nicole (she's just not that important) but other dignitaries and influential families are buried there as well.

My nephew is buried there and I have a tough time going to visit.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give an update to anyone that might be searching with keywords for Anna Nichole Smith or Anna Nichole Smith's grave:

We did end up seeing her grave! After doing lots of research online, reading comments on cruise Critic, and even making a phone call to the Bahamas, this is what I found out, or confirmed what I had previously learned:

1. People are not allowed to go to the grave unless at least one person in the party is a relative of someone that's buried there.

2. Some unscrupulous taxi drivers will take you there, and then go "oops...I'm sorry, they won' t let us in" and "it's not my fault they won't let us in". (But then the taxi driver has you captive and will ask where else do you want to go.)

3. There are a few taxi drivers that ARE allowed to go in, because they have a relative buried there, but then they don't believe in you visiting Anna Nichole Smith's grave, so they will show you to another grave and tell you that's her's.

So I did my research and came prepared, and was persistant! This is what I did and what I recommend you do:

1. I brought with me an 8-1/2" x 11" photo of Anna Nichole Smith's grave that I found on the Internet.

2. When I got off the ship, and walked up to the taxi drivers, I told them exactly what I wanted in no uncertain terms. I pointed to the picture and said "I want to see this. If you take me there and we get in, and I see THIS, I'll give you $100. If we don't get in, then I will give you $15." MOST of the drivers would say something like, "I will do it, but only if you give me $25 (or more), if we don't get in. I don't have the control. They might not let us in. So I have to charge at least the $25 (or more) in case they won't let us in." I politely said, "no thank you, I'm looking for someone that will get us in for sure." They would then start trying to tell me how it's impossible to know if we will get in....etc.... Blah Blah Blah....

In the back of my mind, I knew that there could be only be ONE reason they wanted more money just to make the attempt. It's because they KNEW, or at least suspected, that we wouldn't end up getting in.

I had made my decision, before I got off the ship, that I would just keep on asking different taxi drivers until I found one that could GUARANTEE that he would get us in. And by him accepting my offer of only $15, I knew that it was a confirmation that we really would get in!

It worked! Although my family was starting to get embarrassed, (but later glad that I persisted), and after going through about 15 taxi drivers, I came across one that was EXTREMELY confident that we'd get in. He didn't even want to talk about the $15. It was a non-issue for him. He said for a hundred dollars he will get me in NO PROBLEM! Again, he didn't even entertain the idea of us not going in and paying the $15. He was so positive. He DID get us in, and he waited while we were there or about 10 or 15 minutes. This taxi driver was also very humorous, and fun to be with. After we were done at the cemetery, he dropped us off at the Atlantis. I'm glad we caught up with him later when we we needed a ride from the Atlantis back to the ship.

You might want to look for him. I know it's a long shot, but he said he's been a taxi driver right there at the dock for the past (7?) years. (I forgot how many years.) He is black, a husky guy in his 30's, and drives a nicer, not beat up, shiny black Ford SUV. Maybe an Escalade. Probably an Expedition. His name is "little Rich" or "little Richard." I bet if you go up to one of the people that are trying to herd to into a taxi, tell him that you are looking for Little Rich, then they would point him out to you (if he is there.)

The negotiating for the trip was SO fun. Little Rich called us the "royal family" (probably because of the $100 fare for a relatively short trip.) He called my girlfriend the Bahama Mama. He was so fun. He pointed out the historical buildings along the way.

If you go, and want to put flowers on the grave, be forewarned: There are no flowers to be had. There were none on the side of the road. None for sale. I told Little Rich that I would pay him $30 if he could find us one flower. Even on the side of the road, or from the front of his house, or in a store. He didn't even want to try to look. He said "you will never find a flower. There aren't any." And by God, there wasn't a single flower in sight anywhere we went on that island. So bring a plastic one!

Note: We went in May, 2015 on a Sunday.

Good Luck!

Edited by Caribbean Allan