international driver's license?

kac911

Hi Kelly,

The main purpose of an international driving licence is that it's a translation of a subject's home licence, usually (eg many Asian countries) one that doesn't use the Roman alphabet, sometimes one that doesn't use English.

So a US licence is usually adequate, and my Brit licence has been good for renting in Greece.

But to be on the safe side, if their website doesn't specify one way or the other perhaps it'd be wise to e-mail and ask them.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The quick answer to the OP is No....you do not need that document in Corfu (or most other places within Europe). But lets talk about the "document" It is NOT an "International Drivers License" but rather an "International Drivers Permit!" There is a huge difference. When you travel you need a valid drivers license to rent a car.....and that is NOT an International Drivers Permit. You still must present your regular drivers license...which is the document recorded or copied by the rental car agency.

So, what is the International Drivers Permit. It is merely a simple language translator which translates some key info from your regular drivers license to multiple language. It also complies with certain international treaties. But it does not replace your drivers license. In over forty years of renting cars all over Europe, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia....we have never been asked to see that International Drivers Permit (which we no longer carry) when we rented a car.

Does that mean you should not pay AAA (or AA) the money for the near useless document? No...because technically it is still required in some countries (such as Italy) where it is unlikely anyone will ever ask to see the thing. Get stopped by a cop in Italy and he/she will ask for your "drivers license." Sure, they could ask for your "International Drivers Permit" and perhaps you would be the one unlucky person (in the last 50 years) that was asked? So if you are very risk adverse and prefer to spend your time and money....head to your nearby AAA, CAA, AA, etc. and pay for your Passport Picture (glued into the International Drivers Permit) and the Permit.

For those who are truly risk adverse and always follow the LAW, here is the list of countries that do technically require the IDP,

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our current international drivers license has no expirey date.

In tw may plus years of renting cars we have never been asked for our international drivers lic. Last fall we rent d cars in five different locations in Greece. It was never requested. We have it just in case we are stopp d by the police. We were in Turkey but they did not ask for it.

Our current international drivers license has no expirey date.

In tw may plus years of renting cars we have never been asked for our international drivers lic. Last fall we rent d cars in five different locations in Greece. It was never requested. We have it just in case we are stopp d by the police. We were in Turkey but they did not ask for it.

Too funny, We also have one of those (never expires) because the AAA clerk "forgot" to put the date on the front page :). That being said, when properly completed the permit does expire in 1 year. DW always wondered if we could fill in a date, very quickly, if we get pulled over by the Police in Italy (where they technically require the document). But an Italian friend once told me he suspects that the Italian Police probably are not even aware they require that document :). After all, ITS ITALY :)

Hank

Mine is in tatters. Just looked at it...back page says good for one year. It was issued in 2011. Handwritten. Would be very easy to change either of those 1's in a pinch. On one or two of our island rentals last fall they hardly even bothered with our D/L, let alone the international one. My guess is that most of them would not even know what an international drivers license is let alone what it looks like. I never offer up mine for inspection.

I figure the one year expirey is just an auto club scam to increase revenue. In any event mine will do for now unless it get mashed again in my day pack zipper.

You have received incorrect advice. No matter what you've been told, DO NOT go to Greece without first getting the IDP from your local AAA office. What are you going to do if you get in an accident and don't have one when the police ask you for it, are you going to say "I don't have one because someone on an internet travel advice website told me it's OK to be here without it".......??? That will go over like a lead balloon. Remember: You'll be in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and where your rights vs. those of a local resident will be secondary, at best. Be smart. The IDP is only $15 if you bring your own 2 passport photos. No test or membership required.

Yes, sometimes it’s possible to rent a car, ATV or scooter just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.

BUT....................

If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any _and all_ damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)

AND...................

Your insurance, including what your credit card supposedly provides, will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.

And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjuster handy.

Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.

You have received incorrect advice. No matter what you've been told, DO NOT go to Greece without first getting the IDP from your local AAA office. What are you going to do if you get in an accident and don't have one when the police ask you for it, are you going to say "I don't have one because someone on an internet travel advice website told me it's OK to be here without it".......??? That will go over like a lead balloon. Remember: You'll be in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and where your rights vs. those of a local resident will be secondary, at best. Be smart. The IDP is only $15 if you bring your own 2 passport photos. No test or membership required.

Yes, sometimes it’s possible to rent a car, ATV or scooter just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.

BUT....................

If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any _and all_ damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)

AND...................

Your insurance, including what your credit card supposedly provides, will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.

And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjuster handy.

Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.

I don't see where Greece is on the list in the link in Post #4? That said, we are renting a car in Rhodes and will be getting an IDP. A lot of people here are using the term International Drivers License, that is incorrect as stated in post #4, it is indeed an International Driving Permit.

BUT....................

AND...................

We Brits & other EU citizens aren't required to have an international permit - that's the law, not just convention.

But I've checked and yes, although I've never known of Americans being asked to produce by rental agencies, they are supposed to have one.

The OP is from CA, so your advice is correct ;)

Here's my source

http://athens.usembassy.gov/driving_in_greece.html

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from renting cars in Greece and Italy and both locations did not want to see the IDP. I asked whether they were needed and they said only if I run into a police situation. I've been known to have a lead foot so I don't need the stress.

We were looking at a trip recently where we would rent a car in France. Checking rates and conditions on the Avis site, an International Drivers Permit was required to rent the car. DH got one before we rented in London, but the Avis site didn't require it there and he wasn't asked for it. Bottom line, it definitely seems to vary by country.

We have been stopped by the Carbinieri in Italy and Dh drivers license did not cut it, thankfully we also had the IDP. They have machine guns and do not smile so to be on the safe side we just always get one. Though I think it is ridiculous that they are good for only a year!