Greek Isles Priorities for 20's/Young Group??!!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section this week, they have this headline: "20 places to travel in your 20s" with these opening/set-up highlights: "There’s no better way to change your perception of the world — and maybe yourself — than travel. You’ll experience different cultures, meet new friends and make lifelong memories. But traveling poses challenges: financial constraints, limited time off. So think of this selection as a checklist and starter kit to world travel."

One top suggestion was for: "A Greek island that’s not Mykonos, Ios or Santorini. The Cyclades — the islands south of Athens — offer unrivaled beauty and relaxation, particularly if you stay away from the party destinations. There’s nothing wrong with them, of course (Santorini is particularly gorgeous), but less-visited islands like Naxos and Folegandros offer fewer tourists and more intact culture. Spend your days swimming, eating amazing grilled seafood and exploring ancient ruins. Evenings are for music, more food and ouzo"

It's been a long time since I have been in my 20's, but I started out in December 1970 doing a month-long, six-country Eurorail adventure with a college roommate for doing a large segment of Europe highlights. Sorry, did not make it to Greece or nearby at that time. That initial international trip helped to launch my interests for exploring and history/culture learning at an early age.

Personally, I am not sure that I would suggest skipping Mykonos. Or that those in their 20's will want to skip certain of these "young destinations". BUT, the NY Times writer only had twenty slots from all of the world to fill. What other Greek Isle sites/stars should they have mentioned for those in their 20's to see and experience?

In 2006 when we did Athens, Mykonos, Peloponnesian Peninsula and other locations, we also visited Patmos and Milos. Both were nice, but not sure that many of the young would appreciate those locations and their unique history as much for their priority interests. Other opinions and viewpoints to share?

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/travel/places-to-travel-in-your-20s.html?_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 15,111 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well we will still be in our twenties when we do our Greek isles cruise (santorini, Mykonos, Corfu, Ravenna with a few pre-cruise days in Venice) next year. Mind you I will only be in my twenties for a few more days after we get back :eek:

And for us any Greek isles are sure to be great, yes there are probably more beautiful and authentic experiences on other isles but I don't have unlimited vacation time or money to explore them. Many of my friends had time to do study abroad in college. I regret not getting to study abroad, but I did a science program that was designed to be 4+1 in four years instead. Now I have money and some time (I get a lot of vacation time at work but am limited to taking 14 days at a time) to travel and most of my friends that did study abroad have the time but not the money. We look at the travel we have done so far as dipping our feet in and seeing what and where interests us most for other trips. For example, we visited Belize on our last cruise and loved it and are thinking of planning a land trip for 2018

• 1 month later...

Mykonos.

But in Mykonos you've got to go to some certain beaches with the parties, and need transportation for that. The beaches are about half an hour away from the port by car (depending on the beach) and mind that people in Mykonos wake up at 12 and later! So, the parties start after 16:00 for sure, slowly slowly. And, they take place usually in July-August. Do not wait for parties in May or October