Long shot lost and found, money clip with $$

kujobie

I sailed on the Sept. 12th Legend cruise. We were in cabin 5236. In the safe, tucked in the corner, I found a money clip with a large amount of money in it, over $100. The money clip was monogrammed and had an engraved dedication on it including the name of the giver and a date. It would be easily identifiable and I would like to make sure it gets back to the owner. I sent an email to the Carnival lost and found dept a week ago and have not heard back from them. I thought long and hard about taking it to guest services while on the cruise, but I felt more comfortable holding on to it and trying to get it back to the owner myself. I guess I'm a pessimist. Anyways, if you own this, e-mail me..

I sailed on the Sept. 12th Legend cruise. We were in cabin 5236. In the safe, tucked in the corner, I found a money clip with a large amount of money in it, over $100. The money clip was monogrammed and had an engraved dedication on it including the name of the giver and a date. It would be easily identifiable and I would like to make sure it gets back to the owner. I sent an email to the Carnival lost and found dept a week ago and have not heard back from them. I thought long and hard about taking it to guest services while on the cruise, but I felt more comfortable holding on to it and trying to get it back to the owner myself. I guess I'm a pessimist. Anyways, if you own this, e-mail me..

Personally, I would have photographed it, counted it, and then turned it into to Carnival with documentation that this was done. There is almost no chance of finding owner on this board. The money would eventually be turned over to you if done properly.

Personally, I would have photographed it, counted it, and then turned it into to Carnival with documentation that this was done. There is almost no chance of finding owner on this board. The money would eventually be turned over to you if done properly.

See the post below yours. If no one claims it, it is mine for sure. I have already emailed Carnival so if it's been reported as lost, I'm guaranteeing it's getting back to them. If I gave it to Carnival, there's no guarantee that would happen.. If you could read the dedication engraved on it, there's no way that it won't be reported as missing. I'm sure it will get back to the rightful owner.

You could contact Carnival and explain the situation. They know who was in the room prior to you. Ask Carnival to contact the previous tenants on your behalf (not likely they'll give you the info, nor should they). This seems a reasonable approach.

Your a stand up guy/gal! Glad to see there is still some honest people in this world. They are far and few but its nice to see they do still exist. Like you...I wouldnt have gave it to guest services either as I am sure they would have pocketing the cash anyway.

Thanks. I've been called many things. Dishonest is not one of them. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't try to get this back to the owner. It was obviously given from and to someone who is very much in love.

You could contact Carnival and explain the situation. They know who was in the room prior to you. Ask Carnival to contact the previous tenants on your behalf (not likely they'll give you the info, nor should they). This seems a reasonable approach.

That's my next step. Haven't called yet, but I did send an email giving them permission to give my contact info to anyone who may have lost this.

That's my next step. Haven't called yet, but I did send an email giving them permission to give my contact info to anyone who may have lost this.

There ya go. I would hope that they are willing to do so.

Character is how you proceed, knowing that you cannot get caught!

Well, thanks anyway for your honesty!

It is so good to know there are honest people around! I was going to my stateroom on the Conquest a couple of weeks ago & our dear room steward Ninja said someone had found my debit card & turned it in to guest services...I didn't even know it was missing - must have slipped out of my camera bag after a day in the Bahamas...still, so grateful for the honest person, hope this situation turns out for the best!

To the OP: I would have done EXACTLY what you did.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I am 50% sure that if I brought this to the pursers desk, that the clip would be in the garbage and the $$ would be split 3 ways. I hate that I am that distrusting of other people, but I can't help it.

See the post below yours. If no one claims it, it is mine for sure. I have already emailed Carnival so if it's been reported as lost, I'm guaranteeing it's getting back to them. If I gave it to Carnival, there's no guarantee that would happen.. If you could read the dedication engraved on it, there's no way that it won't be reported as missing. I'm sure it will get back to the rightful owner.

I can certainly see where your hesitation comes from and totally agree. Let us hope that they contact Carnival and then you. You could very well have just kept it and said nothing but you didn't and kuddos to you. Let's hope it gets back to the rightful owner.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1126

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133869

I think there may be a GOOD chance...

Good Luck to the op, I would have done the same thing,

Maybe asking John Heald to get CCL to contact the precious occupants of the cabin will get the clip returned to its original owner....

I thought long and hard about taking it to guest services while on the cruise, but I felt more comfortable holding on to it and trying to get it back to the owner myself.

You did the right thing, especially by contacting guest services.

Maybe you can do an Internet search on the dedication and see if anything comes up. It would be neat if you could return it. If not, then you deserve the money, not Carnival.

The dedication is very cool. Once I find the owner, I will post it here in it's entireity. It includes a long string of letters that I have figured out some but not all. ILUWAMH.. I love you with all my heart etc. and I don't know what the other letters mean so I'm gonna ask. I'm dying to know..

Have you tried posting on the roll call for the previous sailing?

Then again, it may have been from several sailings ago....

Edited to add: Great minds think alike...

I haven't done that yet either but was thinking of doing that as well..

Have you tried posting on the roll call for the previous sailing?

Then again, it may have been from several sailings ago....

Edited to add: Great minds think alike...

It may have been from many sailings before. It was tucked in the front corner of the safe, hidden. I always check it out and this is not the first time I have found something there. But usually it is nail clippers or something like that.

I've never posted to John Heald- he is Carnival's Senior Cruise Director -he has a blog with email. People always ask him things, but perhaps in a case like this starting off by saying found sentimental item in cabin safe--can you reunite with owner I bet he would track them down on your behalf.

Jave you tried that cruise roll call?

Just ideas.

What a wonderful thing trying to reunite item- someone is surely missing it.

Always had belief in the saying "Pay it Forward", and not sure of exact Chinese proverb words but the gist is: One does not prosper until he renders benefit to others.

Suzy p.s. looks like someone else suggested same things but I already hit reply. any numbers in quote? we always use 143

--for I love you. But that is a 30 year habit we started signing. Waaaay before texting!

Perhaps you can log onto Carnival's website--under community tab is funville-forums and then link to Carnival assistance-they have moderators from Carnival there--they may be able to help. Just another idea.

Link to that starting area for assistance

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/14127.aspx

Suzy

Archived