Wipes that are effective for Noro protection ?

janacin

As soon as we enter our cabin, the first thing we do is attempt to wipe down every surface we touch with antiseptic wipes. Does anyone know what brand is best for getting rid of germs and offer protection from the Noro virus? We will be leaving on a long cruise in a couple of weeks and are planning on staying healthy.

We just ordered (Amazon) Clorex Bleach Free hand sanitizer. We have used this on many cruises and vacations. They also make a hard surface wipe that will attack noro! I also travel with a can of Lysol to make the cabin clean and fresh. Hope this helps.
Would this apply?

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_aerosols.html

We just ordered (Amazon) Clorex Bleach Free hand sanitizer. We have used this on many cruises and vacations. They also make a hard surface wipe that will attack noro! I also travel with a can of Lysol to make the cabin clean and fresh. Hope this helps.

The hard surface wipe is Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes.

Wipe down the light switches, the lamp switches and the phone! They have to stay wet for 30 sec to be effective.

The only thing that kills this noro virus is good old soap and water. Wash and do not touch the bathroom doors when using the public restrooms. Use a paper towel to open the door and toss the paper.

I try not to use the railings when I walk up and down the stairs. If I do , I wash.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

We bought Monk disinfectant wipes for our last cruise. Ordered from Amazon and comes in an 80 count package. I just took some in a plastic container as the packaging is bulky. The wipes measure 7X8. Specifically notes that they are able to disinfect Noro. Hopes this helps.

Having learned from experience (the hard way), I always take large ziploc bags (or wrap) with me. Immediately upon entering my cabin or hotel room, I throw the TV remote control into a bag. Then when I hold it or press it, it's done through the plastic. People tend to forget the remote control, but it is guaranteed to be handled by sniffly-nosed cruisers 365 days of the year!

Having learned from experience (the hard way), I always take large ziploc bags (or wrap) with me. Immediately upon entering my cabin or hotel room, I throw the TV remote control into a bag. Then when I hold it or press it, it's done through the plastic. People tend to forget the remote control, but it is guaranteed to be handled by sniffly-nosed cruisers 365 days of the year!

That's a great idea!

I wipe down everywhere someone else's hands would come in contact in the stateroom: doorknobs (both the inside and the outside) to stateroom door, bathroom and balcony; balcony railing, drawer pulls, mini fridge handle, closet pull/handle; light switches; phone receiver and buttons; safe buttons. Magazines on the table in your stateroom have been handled by so many people. I avoid them.

Always hand wash, especially after your hands have been on railings, food utensils at the buffet, door handles and elevator buttons.

The ship is one big germ fest I guess! I hear airplanes carry tons of germs too.

Good idea! Remotes (and telephone keypads) are very hard to clean--lots of nooks and crannies.

I suspect that the transmission of Noro is partly due to the fact that stewards are in our cabins at least twice a day. I have witnessed some going from cabin to cabin to clean without first washing hands or, if wearing them, changing disposable gloves. I treat my cabin as I would a public space as a result.

Want to use the same chemical the cruise ships use when they have to disinfect for noro, then look up the ingredients in CVS (Red Tub) Antibacterial moist Wipes. Benzalkonium Chloride wipes when used correctly is the best we have ever used-- not only for cruise ships but also to wipe down gross HOTEL room remote controls, handles, and surfaces--- and worse offenders are the airplane seat armrests, tray tables, and seat belts.

Edited by Oren

The Clorox hand cleaner is a great product, however you may want to check out a similar product called Zylast. It contains a 5% higher concentration of ethyl alcohol and also contains effective levels of benzethonium chloride, a synthetic germicide used in many non-alcohol hand cleaners. We use it and find it does not dry your skin even when used several times during the day to augment soap/water cleaning of your hands often, especially during the first few days after boarding.

We now use the Clorox hydrogen peroxide spray to wipe down our room.

We use Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes. (says on container: "Kills bacteria and viruses in 30 seconds") Bought it from Amazon. Container is large & heavy... holds 155 wipes, 6.75" X 5.75". We take them on cruise in zip-lock baggie. On Amazon.com it says it kills Norovirus, Rotavirus, HIV... it's $16.27 on Prime & weighs 1.7 lbs.

Edited by Sandy R

Wipe down the light switches, the lamp switches and the phone! They have to stay wet for 30 sec to be effective.

The only thing that kills this noro virus is good old soap and water. Wash and do not touch the bathroom doors when using the public restrooms. Use a paper towel to open the door and toss the paper.

I try not to use the railings when I walk up and down the stairs. If I do , I wash.

Correction.

The only things that kill Norovirus are high concentrations of Activated Hydrogen Peroxide and high concentrations of Chlorine Bleach.

Good old soap and water - when used properly - wash the Norovirus spores off your hands and down the drain before you have a chance to put them into your mouth.

Guess we are lucky. Other than washing our hands several times a day, we don't do anything. Have never wiped down anything. Haven't had a problem yet.

Exactly.

It's impossible to wipe down every surface in a cabin, and even if you do succeed the second you leave and touch a wall/elevator/eating utensil/ newspaper/underside of a chair or table/railing/ credit card or money.... you're just picking up all the germs you thought you got rid of in your cabin.

If all these wipes and zip locks make people feel better that is fine, but I hope they don't honestly think they are preventing anything by doing so.

Wash your hands and try to keep them from your face. That is the only proven solution.

Good idea! Remotes (and telephone keypads) are very hard to clean--lots of nooks and crannies.

I suspect that the transmission of Noro is partly due to the fact that stewards are in our cabins at least twice a day. I have witnessed some going from cabin to cabin to clean without first washing hands or, if wearing them, changing disposable gloves. I treat my cabin as I would a public space as a result.

If that is the case with your steward, then you'd have to re-santize your room twice a day! I see many posters say they sanitize when they first arrive, but does anyone continue to re-santize?

Guess we are lucky. Other than washing our hands several times a day, we don't do anything. Have never wiped down anything. Haven't had a problem yet.

Neither have we. I laugh when these treads come along. People would rather fall down a flight of stairs and break a leg or hip before they grab a hand rail on on moving vessel for fear of catching a virus. I bet if they spotted a $10 bill on the floor they would take nose dive onto the stained carpet just to retrieve it. Think of all of the nasty places money has been.

As soon as we enter our cabin, the first thing we do is attempt to wipe down every surface we touch with antiseptic wipes. Does anyone know what brand is best for getting rid of germs and offer protection from the Noro virus? We will be leaving on a long cruise in a couple of weeks and are planning on staying healthy.

Dispatch Wipes - kills norovirus, HSV, and C-diff spores. No germ nasties can survive!

We also use a wipe when we walk in the hallways as my DH has balance problems. So far we have been fortunate and have never become I'll. we also use the Baggie trick for the remotes, always wipe the handles of everything, hangers, lamp switches and anything else we can think of. I have one I use on the table and condiments in the buffet if we go there. And , of course, wash, wash, wash and wash again!:)

Noro is caused by a virus, not a germ. There is a difference.

DON

I guess I should have explained better - benzethonium chloride, a synthetic germicide is effective against many germs, viruses and bacteria.

Edited by Cobraman