how to create a roll call as can't see ours

sparky876

Hi, I see you have already posted in the Roll Call Forum and started a roll call. Just sit tight and hope someone else joins your roll call. The cruise I am on in March has only got two other people posted so far, so as you can see not all cruises have other members from here on them.

• 2 weeks later...
lol, would be nice for a few to join this roll call, but not even sure if I have done it right to be honest. Have you a cruise booked?

Looking at a cruise early March but not booked it yet - the roll call already stands at 70 pages so as you would guess - it's not P&O.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree about P and O Roll Calls being terrible. I gave never been one any roll call that had so few posters or was so slow. On a previous one in another line we had over 400 members. This is our first P and O cruise.

I'm sure your not.

I'm just reflecting on the P&O roll call thread which is a bit of a damp squib and pondering why?

Two things come to mind. Brits have been slow to social media and forums. Now many are catching on but are going straight to FB.

I am involved with a site where a simple comment to start a thread can get to 50/60 posts inside half an hour.

I also look at a number of other forums and non of them are very active.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it's more to do with British reservation.

It becomes a vicious circle, no one posts and the roll call so no one replies to the posts, no one feels like they are going to miss out and posts to be part of the onboard club as there isn't one to join.

Roll calls work best when you have 40+ people meeting up, you don't want to join a roll call and find its only you and 1 other couple who meet up for a sail away drink.

They have evolved some what on the USA lines, here's the roll call activities of the cruise we may book....

Meet and greet

Gift exchange

Celebration Dinner

Slot pull

Pub crawl

Cabin crawl

Poker run

They have evolved some what on the USA lines, here's the roll call activities of the cruise we may book....

Meet and greet

Gift exchange

Celebration Dinner

Slot pull

Pub crawl

Cabin crawl

Poker run

To me that sounds awful - obviously British reserve. At least I know you wont be joining my cruise in March with P&O. There are currently 19 members on our Roll call and we are using it to pass on information and advice about ports of call. Some people have also got together to arrange trips.

It becomes a vicious circle, no one posts and the roll call so no one replies to the posts, no one feels like they are going to miss out and posts to be part of the onboard club as there isn't one to join.

Roll calls work best when you have 40+ people meeting up, you don't want to join a roll call and find its only you and 1 other couple who meet up for a sail away drink.

Meet and greet

Gift exchange

Celebration Dinner

Slot pull

Pub crawl

Cabin crawl

Poker run

Actually all of the above would go down well on a Round Table cruise. All of the above I have done at some time with Round Table. It was of course many many many moons ago. We used to call them area weekends.

I like the idea of the cabin crawl as this would work much better on P&O as you can have booze in cabins which is difficult on American ships. (Not impossible)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Although the closed mind brigade have already made their minds up on how awful these extra activities sound, if you break them down....

Meet and greet - typical of all cruise lines, just a nice way to say hello to the people you have been chatting to online pre cruise and exchanging excursion/port info with and meeting people you have agreed to share an excursion with.

Gift exchange - probably more a USA thing, typically its gifts from one State to another, Super league shirts for example

Celebration Dinner - a good way to see a speciality restaurant in a different light rather than going as a couple which is the norm

Slot pull - done one of these, great fun, the drinks flow, we all put into the pot, get a decent sum and go around the slots, some big wins, tense moments and a good laugh

Pub crawl - easier on some of the bigger ships with more venues, but again good fun

Cabin crawl - done one of these, c'mon we are all nosey as to what other cabins look like, dont tell me if you walk past a suite and the door is open as the steward is cleaning, you dont look? Its just a good way to see all variants of cabins on the ship.

Poker run - good probably if say hubby likes Poker but the wife doesnt, it means you can meet up and make it a social occasion.

Edited by richleeds

• 1 month later...
Where do I start it ? Do I start a thread? Very confusing?help please.

Go to the top of this page, click on "Cruise Critic Message Board Forums.

Scroll down to Roll Calls.

Select cruise line.

Then click on New Thread, add a title, the ship and date of cruise.

Add a suitable greeting and wait for responses.

David.

Go to the top of this page, click on "Cruise Critic Message Board Forums.

Scroll down to Roll Calls.

Select cruise line.

Then click on New Thread, add a title, the ship and date of cruise.

Add a suitable greeting and wait for responses.

David.

I guess I'm not clear. I don't want to post or create a subject in roll call. I actually want to Create a roll call with a date cruise line etc. the one with a box around it. Where people can communicate on that specific cruise.

The description at the top IS how you create a new roll-call.

For more help follow Host Walt's link

ROLL CALLS - What they are and how to start a Roll Call thread - REVISED