Is there any news on Cap-tain Neil Turnbull?

groovechick

The title says it all, really. It's some time since he was taken ill. Have there been any updates on his progress? Is he likely to return to captaining as he was rumoured to have had a stroke? MY OH seemed to think that even if he made a full recovery he would not be permitted to return to his former post.

It would be a terrible shame, IMHO, for P&O to lose such a lovely man and excellent captain, but I guess safety must be paramount and maybe he would not want to return anyway.

He might be fit enough to return to work with P&O in some capacity but would he be able to get a license to be Captain of a ship again? I very much doubt it.

It all depends on his recovery. I know one ship's Master who had to navigate a desk for many years after a near-fatal injury whilst a 1st Officer on a Tall Ship but after a while he came back to sea, and I was fortunate enough to be on board on his first voyage as Master.

I've never met Captain Turnbull but as far as I know if he makes a full recovery there is nothing to stop him regaining his Category 1 medical certificate. ("Fit for sea with no restrictions"). I would guess he was Category 3 ("Temporarily unfit for sea service.")

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for resurrecting a dormant thread but could someone point me in the right direction for finding out who is likely to captain a ship at certain time/on certain voyages. Captain Turnbull performed my marriage ceremony on Aurora in 2012 and, as we're back on her this summer it would be the icing on the (anniversary!) cake if he is also on board. Only just found out that he was taken ill last year, so pleased to hear he made a good recovery.

Apologies for resurrecting a dormant thread but could someone point me in the right direction for finding out who is likely to captain a ship at certain time/on certain voyages. Captain Turnbull performed my marriage ceremony on Aurora in 2012 and, as we're back on her this summer it would be the icing on the (anniversary!) cake if he is also on board. Only just found out that he was taken ill last year, so pleased to hear he made a good recovery.

There should be a list on the P&O FAQ pages, they are not as easy to navigate as they used to be:(

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking who will be the captain for our cruise in May on Azura and noticed that Neil Turnbull is scheduled to captain Azura from 17/04/15 to 20/06/15. He must have recovered from his illness.

Captain Turnbull Joined Azura whilst we were in the Caribbean and will be taking over from Robert Camby after the refit, although both are on board during this time.

I'm sorry to hear that he's been ill, and am glad that he would seem to have made a full recovery. I've had him as captain on a couple of cruises I've made on board Aurora, and he's been excellent.