Need Cunard advice

dap17900

Hello,

Need some advice, sailing on cunard from New york to Southampton on the Queen Mary 2, I have a BB cabin ? what restaurants will I be eating in, do I need to pack a tux? tipping , do I cancel cunard tipping policy and tip when service is required, also need any additional tips and ideas.:):)

Welcome to cruise critic!

I think you will get a better and more informed response here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I think it is tacky to cancel the ship's tipping policy. Tips are part of the hard working crew's salary. I wish cruise lines would adjust the fare to include tips, but marketing seems to prefer to work with a lower base price and add the tips per day and per passenger.

BB is a glass front balcony on 8, 11, or 12. You'll normally eat in Britannia unless you opt for specialty dining (Todd English or rotating options in a section of Kings Court) or you could trade down to the Kings Court buffet.

You won't be out of place in a tuxedo on formal nights. A jacket is required in Britannia even on informal nights.

If you don't want to bring a tux and a suit, a dark suit will get you through both Formal and semi formal evenings. A dark graphite or black will be fine. White shirt and dark tie for Formal, white shirt and colored tie for semi formal, unless you enjoy tying a real bow tie. :D Jackets are required for casual evenings as well.

The Cunard boards are a wealth of information. Don't remove the daily service charge, but feel free to tip above that to the cabin steward if all is satisfactory.

Cunard Transatlantic Voyages tend to attract a significant number of passengers who take formal seriously. A dark business suit will be acceptable on formal nights however I think you should find yourself in the minority as most gentlemen will be wearing Tuxedos in my experience. Cunard also field a number of themes on formal nights such as "Black and White" these are advised on ones booking information fairly late before sailing. Most people do not follow these too closely unless they are in a big group sailing together and partying it up a bit. A secondary Jacket, sports jacket or suit jacket is required on the "Smart Casual-Jacket required nights) and this will likely be enforced by crew observing diners entering Britannia Main Dining Room. Overall it is impossible to overdress on Cunard on formal nights.

Incidentally immigration, back into the UK is done on a deck by deck basis, a couple of hours daily (including British Passport holders) on a planned schedule to facilitate stress free disembarkation at Southampton.

Regards John Watson

Edited by john watson