Port Charges/Taxes/Fees/Oh,My!

Pecanpuree

We are scheduled on the Gem Thanksgiving weekend to Florida and the Bahamas. I booked through a local TA with whom I have no relationship. The port charges/taxes and fees for the two of us, excluding travel insurance, are $694. This is about twice as much as what NCL charges on their site.

Am I being taken for a ride (in addition to a cruise!) or are there other fees and port charges which would be incurred to make up this difference?

Thanks, in advance, to you wonderfully informative people!!

We are scheduled on the Gem Thanksgiving weekend to Florida and the Bahamas. I booked through a local TA with whom I have no relationship. The port charges/taxes and fees for the two of us, excluding travel insurance, are $694. This is about twice as much as what NCL charges on their site.

Am I being taken for a ride (in addition to a cruise!) or are there other fees and port charges which would be incurred to make up this difference?

I just checked, what you are being quoted by the agency is exactly correct. The fees, taxes, etc will always be the same, no matter who you book with. I bet if you went to book via NCL or called and asked for a breakdown you would get the same thing. The price you see listed normally does not include extra charges.

Nita

My charge is $236 higher using NCL's "standard" pricing on this cruise; additional digging and coupon use would add $200 to the difference.

Not a huge amount, but given the economy, this covers the costs of eating in the specialty restaurants, a couple of umbrella drinks, and a game of bingo...

So yes, I don't want to begrudge anyone a living, but I don't want to feel rooked by using the services of someone for nothing more than making the phone call - we picked our own cruise and dates.

Thanks, Cruzndiz, that's what I mean! We were charged $694 for the two of us. And in fact when I did go to the NCL site, the amount was what you paid for two people!

OK, so now I guess I have to make a fuss - I want to try to be nice and tell her I am sure it was a mistake, but I feel a little bit peeved and suspicious...

Thanks, Cruzndiz, that's what I mean! We were charged $694 for the two of us. And in fact when I did go to the NCL site, the amount was what you paid for two people!

OK, so now I guess I have to make a fuss - I want to try to be nice and tell her I am sure it was a mistake, but I feel a little bit peeved and suspicious...

Have you considered how long her cruise is and how many ports? Port charges are based on the number of ports and particular ports: government taxes and fuel charges are also based on the length of the cruise.

After checking my computer system, I called NCL for you, and sure enough the charges were exactly the same.

As AWinkler put it, we all price differently. That is why I usually just give my clients the total amount and break it down if they want it to be broken down. Let us know what you find out.

Nita

Have you considered how long her cruise is and how many ports? Port charges are based on the number of ports and particular ports: government taxes and fuel charges are also based on the length of the cruise.

After checking my computer system, I called NCL for you, and sure enough the charges were exactly the same.

As AWinkler put it, we all price differently. That is why I usually just give my clients the total amount and break it down if they want it to be broken down. Let us know what you find out.

Nita

Thanks for the explanation of how the fees are calculated. :cool: For our next cruise to Bermuda the current fees are currently $227.10/pp. Luckily we booked early when they were a bit lower!;)

Well, what did you find out? I am sure many of us would like to know.

Nita

We are taking a 7 day cruise from Miami in ten days and the taxes, port charges, fuel supplement fee and other fees was around $650.00 for the two of us. Sorry I don't remember the exact amount.. but I know it was right around $650.00. The 14 day cruise we are taking next year in Nov was around $850.00 for taxes, port charges, fuel supplement fee and other fees. Again, can't remember the exact to the penny charge, but in that neighborhood.

Don't know if that helps you at all to know if you are being taken advantage of, but just thought I would tell you want our charges were when we booked directly with NCl.

Here is the breakdown on your fees/per person, sailing on 11/29/08:

NCF's (non-commissionable fees/port fees): $165.00

Government Taxes: $104.94

Fuel Supplement: $77.00

NCL is correct and this is the charge regardless who or how you book the cruise.

You may not be comparing apples to apples here. Your cruise is 7 days, the previous post is could be 3/4/ or 5 and so his taxes will be less because the net amout of his cruise for two is less.

Thanks for the explanation of how the fees are calculated. :cool: For our next cruise to Bermuda the current fees are currently $227.10/pp. Luckily we booked early when they were a bit lower!;)

Are you sailing on the Dawn? If so the rates, as of today would be/per person, not inclcuding the fuel surcharge:

NCF's (port taxes): $165.00

Government Fees $150.10

Here is the breakdown on your fees/per person, sailing on 11/29/08:

NCF's (non-commissionable fees/port fees): $165.00

Government Taxes: $104.94

Fuel Supplement: $77.00

NCL is correct and this is the charge regardless who or how you book the cruise.

Yup...great info;)

Seems to me after reading folks comments and looking at my own cruise charges for my upcoming 14 day eastern/southern Caribbean cruise in Jan09 on NCL Jewel that the issue is not with how much you are being charged but rather with how the charges are listed.

On our upcoming cruise which we booked through NCL, only the following charges are listed (for two persons):

Basic cost of cruise +

$258 standard insurance

$216.74 taxes and fees

$196 fuel surcharge

I know you excluded insurance, but I wanted to show all the pre-cruise cost. I did book a year in advance also. So, some of the fees have probably increased.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the port charges on most sites included in the cruise fee?:confused: If so, how/where can the actual port charges be found? Thanks!

No.. you're right. My TA and NCL figure the cruise fare differently. NCL adds the "non-commissionable fare," what used to be called port taxes, into the cruise fare which makes them look more expensive.

My TA doesn't add that in the cruise fare, but adds it into the "govt.taxes/fees." I'm not sure why they don't show us the actual breakdown of the charges. That's annoying.

yes for some reason we all do it a little differently. There was a time when we had to break it down when quoting a rate: price, port charges and government taxes, now most of us just lump everything together or part of it anyway. I notice the OP didn't come back, I have a gut feeling she found out the fees were the same, regardless of how she booked. What you guys say?

Nita

I agree, Nita.. at least I hope she didn't get scammed.

The OP did not get scammed. I listed the break down of their cruise and it matched what they are being charged to what NCL quoted. Not a scam at all.

The OP did not get scammed. I listed the break down of their cruise and it matched what they are being charged to what NCL quoted. Not a scam at all.

Oh OK.. I didn't know you had their booking information. excuse me.

Oh OK.. I didn't know you had their booking information. excuse me.

Why such a smart answer? :rolleyes: I based my comment on the total the OP indicated in dollar amount, and then posted on my thread the breakdown of all the fees. Do not need to have their booking number because the two figures match. Unless I am missing something, by all means, correct me.

Why such a smart answer? :rolleyes: I based my comment on the total the OP indicated in dollar amount, and then posted on my thread the breakdown of all the fees. Do not need to have their booking number because the two figures match. Unless I am missing something, by all means, correct me.

Well could you at least total out your math so that a dumba** like me can understand? LOL. Sorry to be short. I see now where you got your info.

Archived