St. Helier, Jersey

deec

I had done my research on Guernsey and even re-read GUERNSEY AND POTATO PEEL PIE LITERARY SOCIETY.....Itinerary has been changed to St. Helier, Jersey.

Any suggestions what to do for a few hours after our included mostly drive by tour

Get acquainted with the Channel Island of Jersey, taking in splendid coastal vistas and fascinating fortresses along the way. You will meet your guide and drive to St. Aubins, where in 1406 a French army of 1,000 landed and defeated 3,000 islanders. Nearby, you will see the German coastal bunker on Noirmont Point, a rocky headland overlooking the scenic bays of St. Aubins and Portelet. This artillery battery was part of **** Germany’s “Atlantic Wall” built to protect the continent from Allied invasion. Pass more fortifications in St. Brelades and Corbiere. Drive along the picturesque St. Ouens Bay before heading north. Drive by Rozel, home to an old Napoleonic-era fort, and St. Catherines, whose long and narrow breakwater stretches into the sea. Later, see Mont Orgueil, a magnificent 13th-century castle on a hilltop overlooking Gorey Harbor. Continue through the picturesque village of Gorey before returning to your ship.

thanks for your ideas

Note that like Guernsey, Jersey has its own money. It is tied to the GBP, and GBP are readily accepted there. However, you may well get local currency in change, and that will not be any use on the mainland (I don't know if the ship will accept it). The simple thing is to draw a few GBP from an ATM (they will offer the option) just enough to cover coffee and tips. Any bigger purchases can be made with a credit card.

• 2 months later...
I had done my research on Guernsey and even re-read GUERNSEY AND POTATO PEEL PIE LITERARY SOCIETY.....Itinerary has been changed to St. Helier, Jersey.

Any suggestions what to do for a few hours after our included mostly drive by tour

Get acquainted with the Channel Island of Jersey, taking in splendid coastal vistas and fascinating fortresses along the way. You will meet your guide and drive to St. Aubins, where in 1406 a French army of 1,000 landed and defeated 3,000 islanders. Nearby, you will see the German coastal bunker on Noirmont Point, a rocky headland overlooking the scenic bays of St. Aubins and Portelet. This artillery battery was part of **** Germany’s “Atlantic Wall” built to protect the continent from Allied invasion. Pass more fortifications in St. Brelades and Corbiere. Drive along the picturesque St. Ouens Bay before heading north. Drive by Rozel, home to an old Napoleonic-era fort, and St. Catherines, whose long and narrow breakwater stretches into the sea. Later, see Mont Orgueil, a magnificent 13th-century castle on a hilltop overlooking Gorey Harbor. Continue through the picturesque village of Gorey before returning to your ship.

thanks for your ideas

I believe you've come and gone by now. What did you end up doing on Jersey?

• 2 weeks later...

Gorey Castle is really good, great seafood restaurants nearby, but not suitable if you're disabled. Gerald Durrell Zoo on the island is good too, with an interesting restaurant.

Local buses are really cheap, you can get a day ticket from the bus station, 50 metres up the road from The Pomme D'Or Hotel.