booking future sailings while on a cruise

Mimi2Say

Hello all, I have a question and I know someone here will be able to help me. My husband and I, as well as my mom and dad, are going on our first cruise in Jan, We are all excited, and already talking about the next trip and where to go!! I was wondering if it is more beneficial to book future cruises while you are onboard? What, if any, are the pros and cons of this way to book? We have learned so much information about cruising from the threads. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

There are usually some benefits to booking on board, but specifics depend on the particular cruise line. If there is a cruise line you are considering, mention it and someone will give you specifics.

It used to be good to book while onboard. You could receive OBC based on the length of the new cruise [between $50 and $200 I think], plus two Friends And Family certificates to give to other people, so they would also receive OBC for booking the same cruise.

But things have changed. Now, you will receive a $50 OBC allowance to use on your next cruise, no matter what length, and that's about it. Also, if you apply for a price reduction on that cruise, you lose the original $50.

My husband and I used to always book our next cruise this way, but we probably won't any longer.

It used to be good to book while onboard. You could receive OBC based on the length of the new cruise [between $50 and $200 I think], plus two Friends And Family certificates to give to other people, so they would also receive OBC for booking the same cruise.

But things have changed. Now, you will receive a $50 OBC allowance to use on your next cruise, no matter what length, and that's about it. Also, if you apply for a price reduction on that cruise, you lose the original $50.

My husband and I used to always book our next cruise this way, but we probably won't any longer.

Unfortunately, all of the above is true for Carnival on-board bookings. Some other lines have much better benefits.