Carnival Inspiration Cruise - Cabin U69

Eytbol8

Hello - we are thinking about a 4-day Carnival cruise in September with my disabled husband (in manual wheelchair with no ability to sit/stand level T2) and my 3-year old daughter. Has anyone cruise Carnival Inspiration and can provide any insite on that ship and/or cabin U69? Thank you! :p

U69 does not appear to be an accessable cabin. It shows to be a suite, and doesn't look like it would work if he can not stand or take a step or two. Not sure about the entry door width - some are rather narrow. Also per pictures there is a piller beside the bed on the right side.

Please call Carnival special needs and get information from them. Be sure to ask about door widths, and step ups into the bath.

Well - slap me silly!!! On Carnival site is does show to be an accessible suite. Wow!! I'd still call special needs desk and ask for detailed specifications. The photo I saw ( not on Carnival site) showed the pole on the side of the bed rather than the foot.

Good luck, and hope you have a great cruise

LOL - I had to laugh when you wrong "slap me silly".

I have been in contact with the special services department and they assure me that it is a handicap accessible grand suite.

Thanks for your reply.

:D Lots of people would have no clue what that ment, but being from Texas we have lots of sayings!!!

My Husband ( 70 ) had Polio, and now is firmly in the grip of Post-polio syndrome. He has lost the use of both legs, and has very little use of most muscles including diaphram. He uses a power chair (quantum 6000) and we slide him with a slide board from chair to bed and reverse. It takes the power lift (hoyer type) to get him on toilet and into shower, so the placement of the pole would be a major concern for us. We have to use that side of the bed. Maybe you guys would not be effected by it.

Have fun planning and taking your cruise.

I am able-bodied, just very short.

I just came off of two cruises (January 28-4 day & Feb 8-3 day) off of the Inspiration and cruised on her last year with a friend in a wheelchair.

She said her accessible cabin (OV on Empress) was easy to be in. Bathroom was good.

The problem with the Inspiration is the Buffet area. The way many of the booths and tables are set up it is very hard to manuever. There are four rows of booths and tables on each side of the inside buffet area. Think of them as rows 1234.

Rows 1 & 4 are accessible by walkways, rows 2 & 3 are very crowded. When people are sitting in the chairs no one, not even able bodied, can get thru.

The crew was great. Even saw the head Maitre D helping seat wheelchair pax during lunch.

Hints for the MDRs--If you are assigned the Carnivale (aft) MDR wait until your time to dine. The lobby is very small and becomes sardine-like.

You can wait in the bar on 9. You will be able to see thru the stairwell to see when everyone goes into the MDR.

If you are assigned the Mardi Gras (Atrium) MDR it is possible to go thru the back using the midship elevator. We used this back entrance for both breakfast and lunch but not for AnyTime Dining at dinner.

Do not think you husband can get off in Catalina.

Ensenada has improved greatly. There is a vehicle that can take you into town. (Friend said $5) The sidewalks to town are OK but not great.

If you want to walk-- After you leave the port area turn left across the bridge. You can go straight or turn left. Turning left gets you to the Malercon, exit under the Big Flag and walk thru Big Head Plaza. (At the end of the Malercon is the fish market but there are several steps to negotiate.)

Cross the street at McDonald's. If you go straight look for McD's across the street. Go up the street and you will be on Ave Lopez.

The main steet, Ave Lopez has nice sidewalks and cutouts. Some are steep and off to the side of the corner. Many restaurants have sidewalk seating. We ate at Don Fernando. Other's like Los Corralitos.

The other areas/restaurants we go to are not wheelchair friendly. The sidewalks are not well maintained. Last week we almost fell into a well-made 3ft concrete hole.

Parking is now $17/day in Long Beach. Keep you parking tix out after you leave the structure because you will have to stick it into another machine when leaving port.

A review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508749&highlight=inspiration

Archived