Nude Areas on Ships?

sullaRaffaello

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines do about nudity after the recent YOLO cruise. With sales of everything declining an adult nude cruise almost doubled Carnival's normal sales of alcohol, even forcing the ship to be restocked at sea by other CCL ships twice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a poll and thread on the "Carnival Cruise Lines" Board about the Topless Deck "Should Carnival bring back the "ADULT/Tops optional" Funnel deck?". Going to start a email campaign in a few months asking them to bring it back, or, set aside some other place for topless sunbathing. The reason I'm waiting is to give them time to deal with the swine flu troubles 1st. If you send anything to then now, it'll not get the attention it deserves.

Sounds like we need to book a cruise with NCL!

We're new to this Forum, If any of you are pro-Funnel deck LOL on this thread and would like to add us to your "contact" or "Friends" list, feel free!

ps

For those who don't know, the Funnel Deck USE to be the topless decks on Carnival.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to cruising, I went on my first one last fall with my DS. She had been on one cruise 20 years ago and assured me that everyone wore skimpy suits. So when I strolled out in my thong to the pool I was suprised that no one else had one on. I did go to the adult only pool, but I was the "freak", but didnt care. No one told me it was inepropreate but I did still feel a bit out of place.

I love sun bathing and being semi nude. I would like to ask seasond cruisers if it is frowned upon to where a thong at the pool on the cruise ships these days. I try to only go to the adult pool but that doesnt seem to be inforced. Im cruising with my DH, and sister and her hubby this fall on Carnival and would like to be able to feel comfortable at the pool and not have to stay on our balcony. All coments would be appreciated (BTW I did pose this question to a group sailing the same days and they were all very nice in saying whatever feel good - go for it).

But what is the general concencous on women in thongs, and why has the style changed so much on Caribean cruises?

• 3 weeks later...

Well SillySally13, since there will probably be no real consensus, I'll put in my $0.02 for what it is worth:

I've seen lots of women (and sometimes men) in skimpy suits/thongs on several cruises (RCI, NCL,Celebrity) and never really thought they were out of place (ok - there was one guy who was wearing a spedo who probably should not have). I think that in the warmer climates (i.e. Caribbean), the less clothing the better. After all, this is a holiday we're talking about. Why spend your whole life in the States with our taboos and then bring them with you on holiday when you are at a pool on a ship in the sun?

Now, if you were planning on wearing that thong to dinner, that might be a different story.

And while I'm at it, I think it is a bit of a childish carryover from the heavy influence of U.S. norms and morals on cruiselines in general to not allow topless sunbathing on all pool decks. My God, we're at sea away from all the other silly rules and expectations of everyday life - where is the harm in being topless?

My mantra is "When in Rome...".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The wife has always sun bathed topless when they had the Topless Decks. Now they dont. Carnival, and another cruiser on this site, told us they still "tolerate" discreet topless sunbathing on the Funnel Deck as long as no one complains and your not walking around "hanging" off the rail.

One reason they stopped the topless area was because they upgraded the tall slide and now it's higher then the Funnel Deck, giving the kids a birds I view. We did chat with one lady that says she still goes topless in the Adult Serenity area and has never been asked to cover up. I believe as long as you are discreet and not up walking around etc., no one will say anything.

As far as we are concern, to hell what everyone else thinks! It's our vacation too! If an adult is sunning topless in an ADULT area, and one is offended, then they dont need to be in an ADULT area, go to the kiddy pool! We believe that women should be allowed to go topless ANYWHERE a man is allowed to be topless. Breast are not sexual organs! It's all just skin.

Edited by jnjcruiser

The wife has always sun bathed topless when they had the Topless Decks. Now they dont. Carnival, and another cruiser on this site, told us they still "tolerate" discreet topless sunbathing on the Funnel Deck as long as no one complains and your not walking around "hanging" off the rail.

One reason they stopped the topless area was because they upgraded the tall slide and now it's higher then the Funnel Deck, giving the kids a birds I view. We did chat with one lady that says she still goes topless in the Adult Serenity area and has never been asked to cover up. I believe as long as you are discreet and not up walking around etc., no one will say anything.

As far as we are concern, to hell what everyone else thinks! It's our vacation too! If an adult is sunning topless in an ADULT area, and one is offended, then they dont need to be in an ADULT area, go to the kiddy pool! We believe that women should be allowed to go topless ANYWHERE a man is allowed to be topless. Breast are not sexual organs! It's all just skin.

Clearly they are! It doesn't move when you see a nice pair? ******... you've got 48 hours

Like I promised, I sent Carnival a letter concerning this. I will post any replies, if I get any back from them.

-------------------------------------------------------

When I found out Carnival no longer allows topless sunbathing on the Funnel Deck, I started a "TAKE BACK THE FUNNEL DECK" campaign on a popular cruise discussion web site called Cruise Critic. I started a discussion / poll there < http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=983627 > titled "Should Carnival bring back the "ADULT/Tops optional" Funnel deck?". This was posted in the Carnival Cruise Line section. Therefore most people that would see it are past or future Carnival guest.

As of Sept. 12th, there has been over 140 post in the discussion part, and over 820 responses to the poll question. Out of the 820 who took part in the poll, 624 are in favor of some place on the ship to be set aside for topless sunbathing. I know this was not a scientific survey. But I believe it's a very good "feel" of what most cruisers would like to see on ALL Carnival Ships in the very NEAR future. One person posted this statement: "It's kind of strange that you can sunbathe topless in Miami (Carnival's largest departure port), and in virtually every port of call in the Bahamas and Caribbean....but they don't want it going on on the ship? How does this make any sense?" Please, stop trying to be like a Disney Cruise and get back to being the Fun Ship! Your ships are big enough to have a place set aside to accommodate everyones taste and choice in this matter. Thank You for your time and consideration.

ps My wife will be doing some discreet topless sunbathing on the Adult Serenity Deck on our up coming cruise. We will use the umbrellas for cover from the upper decks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not expecting miracles, but at least I can go down knowing I tried!

We were just on the Carnival Legend and they have a small area set aside for topless. We were up there with a couple of crew members actually. Of course we were on the same ship during a swingers cruise and it was full nude everywhere outside....We prefer that. Can't wait for the next.

Edited by Boatnsuncpl
change wording

• 1 month later...

We're just off the Norwegian Pearl and it does have a "Lifestyle Sun Deck". My wife used it topless (after checking with Guest Relations to make sure), but we didn't see any "bottomless". That's not to say it doesn't happen or isn't permitted, we just didn't see it and didn't want to "break the ice" just in case (she never asked about full nude, just topless).

Our one gripe, there should be a sign at the stairs leading up to it which at least says "Adults Only"...there isn't. While we were there, a young boy (10 or 11) wondered up there with his mother closely behind him. Once she saw the bare tops, she quickly ushered him out, obviously uneasy about the situation. :eek: This could have been avoided by a simple sign at the stairway.

We're just off the Norwegian Pearl...

Hi HawkOnTheSeas,

I just read your review. Great job! It's very helpful information as we prepare for our cruise on 10/31.

We have the same excursion booked at Samana, but are thinking about cancelling since we are spending more money for an excursion on Tortola than we budgeted. We're not really that excited about this stop and even considered staying on the ship. Is there anything to do locally, that doesn't cost a lot? Are there any local companies that you know of that take you to the same island for less? I was at La Romana in Jan., and if I returned there, I would just spend the day on the ship.

Again, great review! I didn't have anyway else to contact you other than posting on this thread. We may have to check out that topless deck!

Hi mfinn,

We did the excursion to Cayo Levantado while in Samana. While the place is very pretty, the beach is great, and the people are friendly, we spent $50 each for what amounted to a 10 minute boat ride...way too much.

The ship tenders in Samana and uses it own tenders to transport passengers to shore, so it took FOREVER to get off the ship. Add the fact that after paying too much for the shore excursion the people who were going ashore "free" were given priority and it was not cool. I don't know if it always works out like this, but in our case it wasn't pretty.

If we had it to do again, we would hop a cab to a local beach and save $40 per person. We spoke to another couple who'd done that and they enjoyed themselves. It looked (from the ship) like if there are a number of nice beaches not too far from where the tender docks, so I can't imaging a cab ride would cost too much. As in most Caribbean ports, agree on the price before you get into the cab, and make arrangements with the driver to pick you up in plenty of time to get back for the last tender.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Celebrity Constellation in the Caribbean last year and I believe it was the very forward part of the Sports Deck (may have been the Sunrise Deck) that was designated topless. Quite a few people used it. There was a sign on the side of the stairs leading up to the deck that indicated it was topless.

• 4 weeks later...