Rhodes review - Azamara Quest June 2014

kikki21

I have been to Rhodes several times over on holiday and back on a cruise ship and I love it - it was my first Greek island to visit and so pleased that I still love Rhodes Town as much as ever and as a bonus we were overnighting in this port! :)

Yet again, our day consisted of walking, taking in the sights and eating!

The Quest docks right next to the Old Town and there is now a great boardwalk to walk around rather than the narrow pavement which existed previously and walking into the traffic. We walked along that and into the castle ramparts and then along the windmills and big semi feral cat population of Rhodes to St Nicholas's fort which was being worked on so not much access into it unfortunately.

We met one of our favourite cats on the trip who we named Boris - he was an extremely friendly seemingly pedigree cat, perhaps a Russian blue or Burmese and not an island cat - we really wanted to take him home!!!

There are great views here to your docked up cruise ships and just great views of Mandraki harbour and all of the commercial yachts and day trips.

We walked back and decided we wanted a drink so I steered off the beaten track a bit and was delighted to find that the Blue Lagoon bar still existed!

It's a bar that has been done out as a pirate theme and it was here in 1992/3 when I first came to Rhodes so it was a trip down memory lane and still making great cocktails! :)

From there we walked past the moat and into the Old Town and up the Street of the Knights and paused for a moment by the Palace of the Grand Masters - we decided we were hungry and used Google Maps to find Romios, a place I had highlighted for lunch.

The place itself was very boho chic - the food was ok - the complimentary dessert was the best thing! We then walked the streets of the Old Town and shopped before stopping off to cool down with some very nice frozen yoghurt cherry icecream!

We did some more walking and headed off back to the ship as we were going to participate in the White Night party onboard where there was a folk group dancing and playing music and a pool buffet which was mostly enjoyable apart from the wind that whipped up which was blowing our food off the plates!

We decided to have a walk off the ship after dinner so we could check out the super yacht Radiant which was docked next to us and also had a drink in a roof top bar in the Old Town - we had a walk out to the windmills before finally calling it a night!

Photobucket link - http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Monmar1408/library/Facebook/RHODES%20%20OUR%20BIG%20FAT%20GREEK%20HONEYMOON%20CRUISE

We love Rhodes Town too..........have been on a land based holiday & are looking forward to going back on a cruise next year.

I see you love the cats!

Oh yes the cats are just fabulous, we have 2 cats at home so we like a little reminder! At least there are organisations on Rhodes and Kos that try to look after their welfare and arrange neutering and adoptions too :)

Could wander the Old Town streets all day and often have done! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have been to Rhodes several times over on holiday and back on a cruise ship and I love it - it was my first Greek island to visit and so pleased that I still love Rhodes Town as much as ever and as a bonus we were overnighting in this port! :)

Yet again, our day consisted of walking, taking in the sights and eating!

The Quest docks right next to the Old Town and there is now a great boardwalk to walk around rather than the narrow pavement which existed previously and walking into the traffic. We walked along that and into the castle ramparts and then along the windmills and big semi feral cat population of Rhodes to St Nicholas's fort which was being worked on so not much access into it unfortunately.

We met one of our favourite cats on the trip who we named Boris - he was an extremely friendly seemingly pedigree cat, perhaps a Russian blue or Burmese and not an island cat - we really wanted to take him home!!!

There are great views here to your docked up cruise ships and just great views of Mandraki harbour and all of the commercial yachts and day trips.

We walked back and decided we wanted a drink so I steered off the beaten track a bit and was delighted to find that the Blue Lagoon bar still existed!

It's a bar that has been done out as a pirate theme and it was here in 1992/3 when I first came to Rhodes so it was a trip down memory lane and still making great cocktails! :)

From there we walked past the moat and into the Old Town and up the Street of the Knights and paused for a moment by the Palace of the Grand Masters - we decided we were hungry and used Google Maps to find Romios, a place I had highlighted for lunch.

The place itself was very boho chic - the food was ok - the complimentary dessert was the best thing! We then walked the streets of the Old Town and shopped before stopping off to cool down with some very nice frozen yoghurt cherry icecream!

We did some more walking and headed off back to the ship as we were going to participate in the White Night party onboard where there was a folk group dancing and playing music and a pool buffet which was mostly enjoyable apart from the wind that whipped up which was blowing our food off the plates!

We decided to have a walk off the ship after dinner so we could check out the super yacht Radiant which was docked next to us and also had a drink in a roof top bar in the Old Town - we had a walk out to the windmills before finally calling it a night!

Photobucket link - http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Monmar1408/library/Facebook/RHODES%20%20OUR%20BIG%20FAT%20GREEK%20HONEYMOON%20CRUISE

first off, I love your photos and review of this port. Awesome! Especially Cheeky kitty!!! Too cute.

You guys look about our age - so wondering was the age spread was like? We have always cruised Celebrity and been among the young ones there but over the last 6 yrs seem to no longer be the youngest!

We are both quite fit and can wander far and at a good pace; how far from the ship was the castle and cat colony?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
first off, I love your photos and review of this port. Awesome! Especially Cheeky kitty!!! Too cute.

You guys look about our age - so wondering was the age spread was like? We have always cruised Celebrity and been among the young ones there but over the last 6 yrs seem to no longer be the youngest!

We are both quite fit and can wander far and at a good pace; how far from the ship was the castle and cat colony?

Thanks

Hello! Thank you for your very kind comments - I am 45 and my hubby is 48, we can walk all day although in June it was very hot! :)

The castle and windmills are an approximately 20/25 minute walk from where you will dock. I say approximately as there are lots of photo ops long the way and it may take you a bit longer to get there!

I would say there was a good mix of ages on Azamara, there were people who were the same age as us and there were people who were also older than us - vast majority I would say in their 50's and 60's on our cruise - hope that helps! :)