What to do in Olympia (Katakolon)?

sns1

We are at a loss on what to do in Olympia (Katakolon). Can anyone give me some ideas on what they have done in the past? Is this a good port to do a walking tour?

We rented a car as soon as we walked off the ship... there are several places right at the pier to do so, and we drove to Olympia which is an easy drive of about a half hour. There is a whole day's worth or ruins to look at there, as well as a museum. We didn't go to the museum, instead we drove back to the pier where we went shopping and had lunch right by the water.

Here are some pictures-

MSCPoesia053.jpg

MSCPoesia030.jpg

MSCPoesia056.jpg

Definately go to the ruins. The port itself is a cute little shopping town. There is a great internet cafe there too! :) We waited an hour after being in port and hired a taxi for 1/2 price to take us up to the ruins to explore for an hr and then headed back to the ship. It was definately worth the trip up to the ruins. We really enjoyed it.

Why are you traveling and why did you pick this port? You have to decide what interests you.

For me, Ancient Greece is of great fascination and the reason I choose cruises with ports in Greece is for the antiquities. Therefore Katakalon is a no brainer for me ... go to Olympia! This is renowned, of course, as the site of the Olympic Games but also was a major religious site of Ancient Greece and has a magnificent Temple of Zeus, in whose honor the games were held.

We took the ship's tour which combined Olympia with a Greek restaurant and Zorba dancing, which was a lot of fun!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are at a loss on what to do in Olympia (Katakolon). Can anyone give me some ideas on what they have done in the past? Is this a good port to do a walking tour?

We found another couple on our roll call and together hired a car. Sharing halved the cost and it was such an easy drive to Olympia. We were amazed at the size of the village and found the museum really interesting. If you have time on return a wander through the village at Katakalon is worth while too but really the ruins are not to be missed.

Enjoy your cruise, Misty

Do not miss the museum; it is excellent and has an incredible set of antiquities from the site itself wonderfully displayed with good explanations and in Greek and English.

Visit before you visit the site itself, and it will add greatly to your understanding and enjoyment.

We had a FANTASTIC day in Katakolon/Olympia. Much was due to the ruins, etc., but really, it was mostly due to the driver/guide we hired! His name is George, and I can give you more info if you like, but he is FABULOUS. I found/booked him on line before we left, and he met us at the ship and took us to Olympia. The Olympic site was very cool. Afterward the ruins/museum (we just basically did a quick run through of the museum. Lots of cool stuff, but what we did was enough.) we all went to a little cafe in town and chatted for a while. We then had time to explore. After that George took us to some amphitheatre (sorry, can't remember the name), and then we went to his house and met his wife. We went to lunch at this most wonderful Greek place and the five of us (two couples and George) had a great time together. He then drove us by a local beach on the way back to the ship. It was one of the very best days of our cruise, and I would highly recommend George! His English is excellent, and he had so many wonderful things to share about his country. He books up quickly!

For our upcoming cruise I contacted George to see if he did Athens, as well. He emailed me back right away with the name of a friend in Athens who offers a similar service. Not only that but George emailed this guy to tell him about us and I got a phone call the next day!

Definately go to the ruins. The port itself is a cute little shopping town. There is a great internet cafe there too! :) We waited an hour after being in port and hired a taxi for 1/2 price to take us up to the ruins to explore for an hr and then headed back to the ship. It was definately worth the trip up to the ruins. We really enjoyed it.

hi,we also haven t decided how to get to olympia yet,so the taxi you hired waited for you or u took another one back,will there be taxis available at olympia to get back on time.

hi,we also haven t decided how to get to olympia yet,so the taxi you hired waited for you or u took another one back,will there be taxis available at olympia to get back on time.

We were there in 2004, just before the Athens Olympics, and long before the train started running (can't imagine the taxi drivers were too happy about that!), and we will be there again this August, unless the whole place is under martial law by then (just kidding!) Our preference would be to take the train, but last time we hooked up with another couple and shared a taxi to olympia (I forget how much it cost, though), but the price included round trip transportation, and he waited there for us--I think we had 2 or 3 hours there--I guess you can negotiate however much time you wish--it's about 35 kms (22 miles) and takes about 40 minutes or so, each way to drive.

We really enjoyed Olympia!

Kevin

If you have never been to Olympia, as other said it is a must-do. We did that on our first trip, on the second that stopped in katakalon we were looking for something different so went on a ship's tour to a winery (can'r remember name). Lots of tasting :) some great nibbles and a nice tour. We then bought wine to bring back on the ship and enjoy for the rest of the cruise on the balcony each evening!

I'd like his contact info too please, we're visiting in 2 weeks!!!

Thank you! :)

We had a FANTASTIC day in Katakolon/Olympia. Much was due to the ruins, etc., but really, it was mostly due to the driver/guide we hired! His name is George, and I can give you more info if you like, but he is FABULOUS. I found/booked him on line before we left, and he met us at the ship and took us to Olympia. The Olympic site was very cool. Afterward the ruins/museum (we just basically did a quick run through of the museum. Lots of cool stuff, but what we did was enough.) we all went to a little cafe in town and chatted for a while. We then had time to explore. After that George took us to some amphitheatre (sorry, can't remember the name), and then we went to his house and met his wife. We went to lunch at this most wonderful Greek place and the five of us (two couples and George) had a great time together. He then drove us by a local beach on the way back to the ship. It was one of the very best days of our cruise, and I would highly recommend George! His English is excellent, and he had so many wonderful things to share about his country. He books up quickly!

For our upcoming cruise I contacted George to see if he did Athens, as well. He emailed me back right away with the name of a friend in Athens who offers a similar service. Not only that but George emailed this guy to tell him about us and I got a phone call the next day!

It sure sounds as though George is going to be really busy after the glowing report from Softball20.

If it is the same George (and I sure hope it is because we have him booked for 14th May), his name is George Letsios.

Just "google" Taxi Katakalon and you will obtain his contact details and his suggestions of things to do and see from the Port at Katakalon (including Olympia).

The website is really impressive and well worth visiting.

Hi Indygolfer - from another golfer from the Gold Coast, Australia. :)

His name is George Letsios of Taxi Katakolon. 00306944579917. I believe that the most recent email I used for him was: georgetaxitours@gmail.com, but I also have these: georgetaxi@vodafonet.gr info@taxikatakolon.gr His web site is: http://www.taxikatakolon.gr

He is just the nicest man; you will have a great time!

As for Athens, we are using Fotis Kolloris, and his site is:

http://www.athens****************/

Anyone planning on using George should try to do so far ahead of the cruise. He is fabulous!!! Along with another couple, he took us to the ruins, to the museum, to his house to meet his wife(where he picked fresh roses from his garden to give us), to the amphitheater AND to the winery(we opted for that instead of lunch.) The winery is the Mercouri winery. Then he drove his car along the beach right up near the ship. We had a short port day but still managed all that without feeling rushed! The train would not have worked due to the time constraints and train schedule.

He had a dozen requests for our date- thankfully we were first!

BTW- He knew the guide at the winery and we got to join a tour with a tour from our ship- for NO extra cost! (They had paid big bucks) When it came time for the ship's tour wine tasting which was included in their cost, we went to a separate room and had our own private wine tasting-which cost a very minimal amount.

Another couple came in on their own and were basically ignored by the winery. I felt bad as we had been given the red carpet treatment-because George had connections.

Edited by floridafolks

We rented a car as soon as we walked off the ship... there are several places right at the pier to do so, and we drove to Olympia which is an easy drive of about a half hour. There is a whole day's worth or ruins to look at there, as well as a museum. We didn't go to the museum, instead we drove back to the pier where we went shopping and had lunch right by the water.

So you rented a car and drove yourself? You could rent the car without walking far? Was there a rental car place right nearby? How much did it cost for the rental car? You said it's an easy drive... so is there much traffic? I know some of the ports we are stopping at have a lot of crazy drivers, but I didn't think this was really one of them.

Thanks so much!

So you rented a car and drove yourself? You could rent the car without walking far? Was there a rental car place right nearby? How much did it cost for the rental car? You said it's an easy drive... so is there much traffic? I know some of the ports we are stopping at have a lot of crazy drivers, but I didn't think this was really one of them.

Thanks so much!

Yes we did..... the rental place was right at the start of the pier and we just walked right in. I think the cost was about 30-40 euros but that was off-season in December.

It was a very easy drive. It would have been a lot easier if DH hadn't been distracted by the kids arguing and missed the one left turn required to get there... he ended up driving through an outdoor market to get back to the turn :rolleyes:

There was very little traffic, but as I said it was off season so I can't say if it would be that light all the time.

All in all, out of the 10 Mediterranean ports we did on that cruise, Katakolon was one of the most enjoyable.... between the weather being perfect especially for a December day, the drive being simple, the timing of our return giving us time for shopping and lunch, the food at the restaurant being good and in a great outdoor spot.... it was one of those days where everything just fell into place very nicely.

Car rental is very easy and quick, right across the street from the dock. We pre-booked because we needed an automatic, and the owner provided a map to Olympia, which only requires two turns. About a 30-minute drive. The cost for the automatic was 45 Euros plus about 8 Euros of gas. Parking easy right by the excellent museum and entrance to the ruins.

Car rental is very easy and quick, right across the street from the dock. We pre-booked because we needed an automatic, and the owner provided a map to Olympia, which only requires two turns. About a 30-minute drive. The cost for the automatic was 45 Euros plus about 8 Euros of gas. Parking easy right by the excellent museum and entrance to the ruins.

CintiPam -

Do you recall the name of the car rental agency or website? We were interested in renting a car as well and wanted to pre-book but found nothing online.

Thank you!