Food Safety while on board the Vantage River Odyssey in Eastern Europe

sandyss

We're aware of all the don'ts regarding eating food in Eastern Europe. Should we be concerned with the food served "on board" The Vantage River Odyssey? We will be traveling from Budapest to Bucharest.

:confused: What don'ts regarding eating food in Eastern Europe??? I really do not have the faintest idea what you could be talking about. You are not travelling to third world countries! Hungary and Rumania are in the EU, and have to comply with strict EU food-regulations and laws.

We've returned from a trip to Eastern Europe a month ago, not a river cruise tho. Have/had not seen any information about not eating certain foods, as a matter of fact we ate many regional foods at many restaurants along the way and never gave it a thought. Why the worry? Just curious why you'd been warned otherwise.

I hope you have a wonderful time and like stated above, with a river cruise you should be fine.

We've returned from a trip to Eastern Europe a month ago, not a river cruise tho. Have/had not seen any information about not eating certain foods, as a matter of fact we ate many regional foods at many restaurants along the way and never gave it a thought. Why the worry? Just curious why you'd been warned otherwise.

I hope you have a wonderful time and like stated above, with a river cruise you should be fine.

Thanks for all the comments. I really wasn't concerned about the food until yesterday when my DH came home from a doctor visit with a list of foods to avoid while in Eastern Europe - mainly anything that wasn't fully cooked - no uncooked veggies, no unpeeled fruit, no ice cubes, only bottled water, etc. It was the usual list of foods to avoid while in third world countries.

My DH has an extremely sensitive stomach, and asked the question about how to avoid problems on our upcoming river cruise. Since I definitely look forward to enjoying the food while on board the boat and also during our extension in Romania, I'm interested in the experience of others regarding the safety of food while in that part of the world.

Thanks for all the comments. I really wasn't concerned about the food until yesterday when my DH came home from a doctor visit with a list of foods to avoid while in Eastern Europe - mainly anything that wasn't fully cooked - no uncooked veggies, no unpeeled fruit, no ice cubes, only bottled water, etc. It was the usual list of foods to avoid while in third world countries.

My DH has an extremely sensitive stomach, and asked the question about how to avoid problems on our upcoming river cruise. Since I definitely look forward to enjoying the food while on board the boat and also during our extension in Romania, I'm interested in the experience of others regarding the safety of food while in that part of the world.

Seriously!!! There are 3000 deaths per year from food poisoning in the US, and 49 in the EU!!! Third world countries??? I think you should think about cancelling and rebooking a different holiday because what you seem to be expecting, and what you will get, are two very different things.

In fairness to the OP. her husband's doctor got the info from the US CDC (Centers for Disease Control). Here's what the CDC says for Romania (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/romania.htm). It may be wrong or outdated, but that's the info US doctors get now to pass on to patients.

Be Careful about Food and Water

Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Follow these tips for safe eating and drinking:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel (with at least 60% alcohol).
  • Drink only bottled or boiled water, or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in cans or bottles. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes. If this is not possible, learn how to make water safer to drink.
  • Do not eat food purchased from street vendors.
  • Make sure food is fully cooked.
  • Avoid dairy products, unless you know they have been pasteurized.

Diseases from food and water often cause vomiting and diarrhea. Make sure to bring diarrhea medicine with you so that you can treat mild cases yourself.

Seriously!!! There are 3000 deaths per year from food poisoning in the US, and 49 in the EU!!! Third world countries??? I think you should think about cancelling and rebooking a different holiday because what you seem to be expecting, and what you will get, are two very different things.

I'll ignore your flame.:mad:

Thanks to everyone else for being so helpful.

In fairness to the OP. her husband's doctor got the info from the US CDC (Centers for Disease Control). Here's what the CDC says for Romania (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/romania.htm). It may be wrong or outdated, but that's the info US doctors get now to pass on to patients.

Thank you Arusha, I think some previous posters were a little harsh on sandy who came to us for help, not lectures! Let me start by saying I have never gotten sick on any trip in Eastern Europe, but I did get food poisoning on Holland America in Alaska!!! If DH has a sensitive stomach, I would stick to food that has been prepared on the ship or in a restaurant that Vantage takes you to. I would avoid buying food from street vendors because, while some of it can be outstanding, just like in big cities in US, you really don't know what you're getting or how it's been handled. If you buy fresh fruit from a stand, wash it before you eat it.....which you would do anyway no matter what country you were in. Many times when people get sick drinking the water in another country, it's not because the water is impure but because we are not used to the chemicals or additives in the water and it disagrees with us. That can easily be controlled by drinking bottled water only. If the water is not potable where you're going, believe me, Vantage (or I imagine any other tour company) will advise you immediately and often. We were reminded every day not to drink water in Egypt unless it was bottled and opened in our presence.

We did the Eastern Europe tour with Vantage in 2010. No problem with the food on the boat and also when we dined off the boat. Food was great, as was the wine. You should have no problem. Go and enjoy. Willard

If you look at the CDC website carefully, it also mentions the same concerns about countries like Canada, Luxembourg or Switzerland. We are talking richest, safest first-world countries on the planet. CDC is obviously so worried about getting sued by somebody who vomitted on his trip that they write this in all their destination advice. The UK Foreign Office and the dutch Foreign Ministry do not issue any of these health warnings for Romania. The german Foreign Office only talks about untested water from wells (this would only be in very remote villages far away from the beaten track who are not connected to the main water supply) as being potentially unsafe. I would take the advice on the CDC site with a pinch of salt, if not a bucket.

Nobody is flaming anybody. It is a fact that EU-regulations are the strictest in the world. We have a hotel and we sometimes moan about all the ridiculous rules, but I have a responsability to keep the people I feed healty, and I would not want it any other way. A friend who has owned her own restaurant in Europe and now has a motel and a convenience store in upstate NY, and was a senior manager at McD in the US and Europe, is appalled by the lack of rules or US government hygiene control, and what will pass as safe in the US.

We did Kiev, Russia and the Baltics with Vantage and found the vegetables to be superior to what we find in the USA. The tomatoes there were super.

On our home hosted visit in Kiev, we had a fantastic dinner with a Ukrainian grandmother and her granddaughter.

Great food. We learned all about how Chernobyl affected the Ukraine. Our host still doesn't eat mushrooms from the Ukraine. If mushrooms come from the Chernobyl exclusion zone, they can harbor radioactivity.

We did find that many on our trip did have minor intestinal issues, which was likely due to the differences in spices, etc. used in cooking and perhaps the water. Still, we manged with Imodium.

We sometimes have the same issues in Western Europe on long trips.

We did Kiev, Russia and the Baltics with Vantage and found the vegetables to be superior to what we find in the USA. The tomatoes there were super.

On our home hosted visit in Kiev, we had a fantastic dinner with a Ukrainian grandmother and her granddaughter.

Great food. We learned all about how Chernobyl affected the Ukraine. Our host still doesn't eat mushrooms from the Ukraine. If mushrooms come from the Chernobyl exclusion zone, they can harbor radioactivity.

We did find that many on our trip did have minor intestinal issues, which was likely due to the differences in spices, etc. used in cooking and perhaps the water. Still, we manged with Imodium.

We sometimes have the same issues in Western Europe on long trips.

The tomatoes were super, but interestingly, the strawberries were not as sweet as ours. I know that soil conditions can effect the way produce tastes but it's the first time I noticed a real difference. We didn't do the home hosted dinner in either Ukraine or Russia, but all the restaurants we visited were very clean and the food delicious. Still, we were told by Vantage not to drink tap water in Russia and we didn't.

I think PP over-reacted just a little. No one was accusing his/her hotel/restaurant of being unclean or unsafe or having bad food. Sandy was asking for our experiences and help with an issue she had not encountered. Her question was posed in a respectful manner and, while I don't know the poster, I don't believe it was intended to be an indictment of the European Community. As to CDC being afraid of being sued....that would be an exercise in futility!:)

I think PP over-reacted just a little. No one was accusing his/her hotel/restaurant of being unclean or unsafe or having bad food.

Why are you being so touchy and determined to think bad things of other people you don't know? I am profoundly saddened by so much animosity, where people only want to give sturdy and balanced advice and reassure the original poster that the countries she is going to are completely safe.

I wanted to start defending myself for the completely harmless comments I made after taking the time to do thorough research on a number of international government websites, but you know what? I'll divert my attention to other posters who WANT my advice. And yes, now I feel accused....

• 2 weeks later...

We traveled on the Vantage River Odyssey in October 2011. The food on the ship was excellent as was the food in the Vantage arranged restaurants. The hotel food was lackluster but wholesome. That said, any traveler can have difficulties with unfamiliar foods and drinks no matter where they travel.

I am not aware of any food or water caused illnesses on the Odyssey. Because of the itinerary and limited access to medical facilities on some sections of the Danube there was a doctor on board the ship for the entire cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your comments.

We just returned from our cruise on the Vantage River Odyssey. I took no precautions, and ate everything while on the boat. My DH followed his doctor's suggestions and only drank bottled water and avoided the fresh produce. We both remained problem free (a first for my DH).

The cruise was fantastic, as was the optional extension to Transylvania.

Thanks for all of your comments.

We just returned from our cruise on the Vantage River Odyssey. I took no precautions, and ate everything while on the boat. My DH followed his doctor's suggestions and only drank bottled water and avoided the fresh produce. We both remained problem free (a first for my DH).

The cruise was fantastic, as was the optional extension to Transylvania.

So glad you and your DH didn't have any problems with the food or water, and happy that your cruise was fantastic.

Will you be writing a review?

So glad you and your DH didn't have any problems with the food or water, and happy that your cruise was fantastic.

Will you be writing a review?

I won't be writing a long review, but would be happy to answer any questions.

A short summary:

We were amazed that despite low water levels on the Danube, the Vantage River Odyssey was able to go all the way to Constanta. At the very last part of the Danube, just before getting to the Black Sea, there is a canal with, I think, four locks. Since it took many hours to traverse the canal, Vantage arranged for buses to take us from the start of the canal to Constanta. While we were enjoying our day of touring in Constanta, the captain traversed all of the locks and met up with the buses in Constanta - a very creative solution!

The food and service on the boat were very good. The four tour directors were also very good. Local entertainment was brought on board at several stops.

We enjoyed the variety of tours that were included. On most days, there were buses waiting for us - to take us to interesting cities a distance from the river. The home-hosted lunch was very enjoyable.

The highlight, for us, was the optional extension to Transylvania. We loved the mountain scenery that we drove through (our timing was perfect for the fall colors). The castles that we visited were very interesting, and we enjoyed our stay in Brasov.

Our only complaint was that the four different groups all had walkers of varying abilities. Fast walkers wanted to move faster. Slow walkers - those with canes or trouble walking - found it difficult to keep up with the group. It would have been nice if during the reservation process, people had been asked whether they wanted a fast or slow walking group.

• 2 weeks later...
Why are you being so touchy and determined to think bad things of other people you don't know? I am profoundly saddened by so much animosity, where people only want to give sturdy and balanced advice and reassure the original poster that the countries she is going to are completely safe.

I wanted to start defending myself for the completely harmless comments I made after taking the time to do thorough research on a number of international government websites, but you know what? I'll divert my attention to other posters who WANT my advice. And yes, now I feel accused....

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And your over-reaction and feeling accused is reinforcing all the bad sterotypes about the German character so widely displayed in World Wars I & II and the period in between. Moreover it ignores actual food safety issues that arise today and are important to the health of river and other travelers. People get sick from the actual food, not from statistics about food.When I was in Northern Italy in 2011 at the height of the epidemic of serious food poisoning coming from GERMAN bean sprouts, nobody in Italy would serve our large tour group any salad or even cooked green vegetables for the entire tour. They just wanted to be careful.

So, my advice as a person with a sensitive stomach, is never to eat any

uncooked vegetables or fruits or dairy products while away from home,

no matter where you are. And be very careful about tap beer and soda, since you can get sick from dirt and wild yeasts in the plastic tubes leading to the spigot. One beer at lunch almost ruined my whole trip to Croatia. And my Romanian friend in NYC said this dirty lines poisoning from tap beer and soda was very common in all of Eastern Europe.

• 2 months later...
The tomatoes were super, but interestingly, the strawberries were not as sweet as ours. I know that soil conditions can effect the way produce tastes but it's the first time I noticed a real difference. We didn't do the home hosted dinner in either Ukraine or Russia, but all the restaurants we visited were very clean and the food delicious. Still, we were told by Vantage not to drink tap water in Russia and we didn't.

I think PP over-reacted just a little. No one was accusing his/her hotel/restaurant of being unclean or unsafe or having bad food. Sandy was asking for our experiences and help with an issue she had not encountered. Her question was posed in a respectful manner and, while I don't know the poster, I don't believe it was intended to be an indictment of the European Community. As to CDC being afraid of being sued....that would be an exercise in futility!:)

Hydrokitty,

there is about 56 kind of strawberries, commercially grown in

Ukraine. Without commerce, there is much more.

There are these meaty, dark red strawberries, which looks like a

picture. They have extremely sour taste. They are used for jams. Some

people also buy them to make a centrepiece of their table. To show

off. The cook on your cruise must have gone for them. They look like

a picture, but you can eat it only with a lot of sugar. Personally, I

don't like sugar on my fruit. Real fruit is sweet as it is.

The sweet ones are dark orange in colour. I forgot the name of the

kind, but they smell delicious, like wild strawberries, and taste

wonderfully sweet.

You should suggest your cruise line to change the cook to one, who

understands local produce/cuisine.

And, about the soil. During WW2, German took Ukrainian soil (the

upper crust) and transported it by trains to Germany. Soil in Ukraine

is black and rich, like butter. It can grow everything. You can get

sour strawberries out of it, as well, as, say, sour apples. You just

use it differently.

Millions of Ukrainians were killed by invaders who tried to get to

that soil.