Tea drinkers beware!

omc329

Celebrity started carrying this brand of tea in early 2014. There are some rather disparaging comments in the forums over there, as well. Apparently it's a somewhat new commercial food service brand based in Singapore (as previously mentioned) that some cruise lines are starting to use because it's cheaper. (There's also some degree of controversy about the company, but that's neither here nor there.)

I will point out that belladonna can be "handpicked" and "100% organic" as well, but I'm not going to drink that steeped in water, either.

Quite true, but I do think it would be a stretch to think that the tea contains that Cyanide or Curare wouldn't it?;) At least one hopes not! Taken in its context one would assume that it refers to organic tea leaves of the particular type that is being offered. :)

Taken in its context one would assume that it refers to organic tea leaves of the particular type that is being offered. :)

One would certainly hope! :D

Still, part of my point is that even with theoretically-handpicked, 100% organic tea leaves, if the leaves are of poor quality or the curing is poor, then one will still end up with a poor product. Making the statement that the tea is handpicked and 100% organic alongside people saying "this tea is remarkably weak" is a sidestep, not an actual counterpoint.

One would certainly hope! :D

Still, part of my point is that even with theoretically-handpicked, 100% organic tea leaves, if the leaves are of poor quality or the curing is poor, then one will still end up with a poor product. Making the statement that the tea is handpicked and 100% organic alongside people saying "this tea is remarkably weak" is a sidestep, not an actual counterpoint.

On that we can agree. I suppose I'm looking for the bright point in this. I do love tea and hope that this one can be brought back from the brink. With such a wide ocean, and so much possible bad tea, we might all go the way of Boston in 1771. However I will make my decision next cruise. ;)

Edited by xenagurl

I must say that am beyond suprised ,not ony at a tea post but the no. of comments.

I have been drinking tea since I was young, (a long time ago now)never coffee.

I largely drink room temp. or iced tea all year.The local Dunkin Donuts will confirm that I drink iced tea, even when it is 10F,like it was today.

I have never liked the Eurpoean powdered mix that is used to make iced tea, on at least HA, RCI,,and NCL.And to try and make iced tea, out of hot tea at buffet, done with that..And to try and get hot tea, in the MDR,(name a cruise line ),during the meal, ahaha, but to wait till after coffee is served, a teapot/hot water is found, a tea bag is found elsewhere,oh my.

I have been taking my own tea bags for many years,and I make a thermos of tea, each day.I was just soo thrilled to see that there were so many every day tea drinkers,on cruises.

Lipton is ok, I use Tetley British blend round, at home. Would prefer PG tips, but since I buy so much, about cost.And last but not least the Field tea bags, were on RCI,and NCL in the last year.I think enough that is publishable,,haah , has been said by other posters.Forget about them. And yes, I will be commenting after my upcoming April Dawn cruise.If the cruiseline listens as well as they do about the single supplement,well...enough said.But if we do not ask, then...Dee

Damn, I was afraid of that! lol

What about in the sit downs and specialty restaurants?

Not brewed. The only brewed tea you're going to get on your cruise is if you brew it yourself. HOWEVER, the ice tea on the Breakaway at Ocean Blue was fantastic!

Harriet

Well at least the new brand is organic. That is a plus. I've not heard of it, but now I'll at least try it on my next cruise.

I agree with you IF it's not imported. The requirements, guidelines, and the like, are different

than USA's if produced in another country. Handpicked could be interpreted differently, but I have no knowledge of it.

Damn, I was afraid of that! lol

What about in the sit downs and specialty restaurants?

All restaurants have "iced tea" but it is not real tea. Its a tea flavored syrup. I can stand about one glass and then no more. You can brew your own. Just ask for a pot of hot water and 2 glasses of ice. You can bring your own tea bags or use what they have.

All restaurants have "iced tea" but it is not real tea. Its a tea flavored syrup. I can stand about one glass and then no more. You can brew your own. Just ask for a pot of hot water and 2 glasses of ice. You can bring your own tea bags or use what they have.

Enjoy the Getaway next week and Happy Birthday!!

If the tea isn't to your liking, try the basil cucumber martini...or the raspberry guava Mojito...outstanding! :)

From an NCL tea drinking Brit, I can assure you that in no way is Litpon decent tea!!

Ever since I tried to brew a cup with 4 bags on my 1st NCL cruise 5 years ago and it got nowhere decent enough to drink I have resorted to bringing my own - struggling to believe that there is anything worse than Lipton :eek:

This is making my wife smile. She's also English and I have an English mother, so tea verges toward a religious experience in our family. She always brings her own supply of tea with her. The biggest problem we've found is getting water hot enough to brew a decent cuppa. Most of the time the hot water the wait staff brings just isn't hot enough, the Jade and Jewel being the exception.

If the tea is worse than Lipton's, it truly must be bad.

If you look at the ingredients, they are all the same on NCL. The packets are yellow, pink, & blue, but all say Nutrasweet.

Not true....read the finer print...the Nutrasweet brand is being used but the different colors are, indeed, the different types...

http://www.dfifoodservice.com/about-us/faq/about-zero-calorie-sweeteners

-----------------------

Enjoy the Getaway next week and Happy Birthday!!

If the tea isn't to your liking, try the basil cucumber martini...or the raspberry guava Mojito...outstanding! :)

Oh don't worry. The Apple Manhattan usually does the trick :eek:

And thank you for the happy birthday.

I have been waiting over a year for this cruise so its still sort of unreal. When I added my cruise critic signature when I booked they did not even allow 2015 cruise signatures. I had to manipulate it to say 2015. That's how far away I booked :eek:

Disappointed about the tea. Why is NCL going so cheap? They charge more than RCL or Carnival in my opinion. I would expect more from them! Just saying. I love tea and iced tea so I'm very disappointed. :mad:

I don't think they're being cheap. I think, like any business, they are trying something new. It just doesn't work for me.

As far as them charging more than RCL or Carnival.......we'll have to agree to disagree. It's not so black and white and one must compare.....but I've found NCL to cost me less when I was paying for my cruises. With the perks NCL gives me now no other line can come even close!

Harriet

Dear Norwegian Cruise Line....

This brand stinks. It has no flavor. Has anyone at NCL actually tried it? Thanks for trying something new......however, it just doesn't cut it. Please bring back what you had.

Thank you,

Harriet

Ditto!

Another tea-obsessed Brit here who agrees with the statements that Liptons was dreadful! Although tea abroad is never as good as tea at home - besides, the milk is always a big problem: anything that isn't fresh semi-skimmed just tastes vile in my experience.

Although I can't function until after my first cuppa (Co-Op own brand is actually my personal fave) I tend to avoid it on the holiday because like another poster said, the water isn't hot enough.

Besides, I find it a LOT easier to get motivated to get up and moving in the morning when on a Cruise than I do on a cold wet and windy work day! :D

All of this tea talk! :) It's time to name some favorites.

Currently this is what's on my "Tea playlist". I'm not sold on any one brand or flavor. I drink what I like and I like various teas for a variety of reasons.

Harney and Sons --- Loose, and pyramid bags. Too many types to count, but I am drinking quite a bit of their Holiday Tea lately.

Their summer flavors are coming out and I'll be heading back there to stock up. Visit their tea room if you can, it's a couple of hours away from NYC and a nice day trip. (One of my trips to Harney & Sons)

Tiesta Tea --- Goji Berry Calm (loose)

Yogi Tea --- Ginger (bag)

Trader Joe's --- Peppermint (though Stash's Moroccan Mint is one of my favorites) --- Organic Ginger Pear White Tea (bags) --- Organic Mint Melange when they have it.

Twinings --- Ultra Spice Chai and Green Tea Nightly Calm (bags)

Yes I love tea so much I'll even photograph it! LOL

Harney-and-Sons-tea-on-deck-Travel-Xena-5.jpg

Edited by xenagurl

We just returned from a cruise on the Sun. They are in the process of replacing Lipton tea with an unknown, unusable tea brand. I kid you not, this stuff tastes like SOAP! It takes several tea bags, 2, 3 or more????, to get the stuff to steep a pot to any reasonable color, IF you can stand to drink it. This is from someone who is not overly choosey on brands, ie, I drink Lipton, Bigelow, Twinings, and most other major brands. Even the waiter in Le Bistro sort of indicated that the complaints had been numerous and to let NCL know as he was helpless to fix the situation.

IF you enjoy a cup of tea, BRING YOUR OWN and when you get back, if you feel the same as myself AND my sisters did about the new brand, LET NCL KNOW!

I'll do some sort of overall review on the cruise later. I wanted a separate thread for the tea drinkers to be aware, regardless of ship, there is a potential for tea issues. I'm as bad about my morning tea as many coffee drinkers out there, and wanted to let others be warned.

(For the record, yes I enjoyed the cruise, and the leftover Lipton bags that were scrounged up for my sisters and myself.)

If you find the new brand unacceptable, tell NCL while you're still on board. Speak to the head of the food and beverage dept., on your ship.