Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Hi. We are relatively new cruisers and this will be our first time in Alaska. We are travelling on Celebrity Solstice in June. Can anyone please tell me what the dress code is for both formal and informal nights? I like the idea of "dressing up" but don't want to look out of place, thanks in advance for advice.

Hi CrosNest,

Which sailing are you on? We are on the June 12 sailing and would welcome you at our table anytime! I always bring my tux and my wife loves to wear a nice evening gown (sometimes a dress). Hopefully we'll meet you onboard!

Hi all,

I've read a lot of pages of this thread and most posts are directed at the dress code (or lack of) on formal nights.

I always wear a tux, and enjoy doing so on a formal night, but on other nights would I be able to wear a short sleeve shirt with trousers? I really don't feel comfortable wearing long sleeve shirts, and therefore don't actually have many!!

we are sailing on Eclipse from Southampton to the Baltics

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated

Regards

Andy

I'm on Eclipse from Southampton to the Baltics and I will definately be wearing a tux. Last year on the Eclipse to Norway, majority wore tuxes.

I'm on Eclipse from Southampton to the Baltics and I will definately be wearing a tux. Last year on the Eclipse to Norway, majority wore tuxes.

We got off the eclipse last week after the Fjords cruise and yes there was a lot of tuxes but nowhere near a majority! To the point I didn't feel out of place in a normal suit without a tie... [emoji16] not that is bothers me either way...

• 2 weeks later...

DH forgot his jacket at our hotel in Massachusetts, while we will get it back when we get home, he won't have it for our cruise. Can he get away with a shirt & tie along with a nice sweater for formal dining & Normandie?

DH forgot his jacket at our hotel in Massachusetts, while we will get it back when we get home, he won't have it for our cruise. Can he get away with a shirt & tie along with a nice sweater for formal dining & Normandie?

Okay for specialty dining, but not for formal dining in the MDR. Others will have varying opinions and random facts as everyone's mileage varies.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

On the Eclipse in May, several men were jacket-less and tie-less in MDR on a formal night. No employee did a thing.

IMHO, if they have a policy, they should enforce it, with 'spare' jackets and ties.

So, the OP may well be OK. Or not. Depending. ;-)

Stuart

I didn't take a coat on my recent cruise on The Solstice. 1st formal night we did a specialty restaurant. 2nd formal night I told our MDR waiter I wasn't coming, we had planned the buffett, he told me to come on and they would supply me with a coat. I had a tux style shirt and a tie. I went with no problem and they didn't offer me a coat. Several men didn't even have ties.

On the Eclipse in May, several men were jacket-less and tie-less in MDR on a formal night. No employee did a thing.

IMHO, if they have a policy, they should enforce it, with 'spare' jackets and ties.

So, the OP may well be OK. Or not. Depending. ;-)

Stuart

I agree. I wish they would be consistent across the line with the dress code. I don't have a problem with dressing up for the MDR, but there are other options for those who do not want to dress up.

Dave

I just came off Celebrity. On one formal night, there was a guy with a jacket (true) but he was wearing a shirt with no tie and half the buttons on his shirt were open so we could admire his hairy chest. Also, he had several large gold chains around his neck.

I guess that anything goes on Celebrity.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You can go ahead and if challenged explain the situation.

Talk to the MaitraD before formal night and confirm you are ok.

Go to a speciality.

Hire a suit on board.

Buy a jacket somewhere before boarding (you always wear them out).

Whatever you do do not let it spoil your cruise!

Just off the Equinox. First formal night two men at a table next to us were wearing golf shirts and no jackets.

Then next night had dinner at the Tuscan Grille, one man wearing shorts another man in a t-shirt.

So much for a dress code

Honestly, I believe the specialty restaurants are more "special" than the MDR on formal nights. Make reservations for them on the formal nights - wear your tie and sweater and have a fabulous time. You'll be right about in the middle if you wear what you DO have in the specialty.

Bonus: you won't be subjected to napkin waving and waiters parading.

Just off Connie, one man arrived at MDR around 7 without a jacket and was given one. At 8:30 saw a man with short sleeved shirt & no tie being seated.

So the dress code on that night seemed to vary by when you arrived,

In the past 2 years on 6 different X cruises and 4 different X ships. Never seen them enforce dress suggestions on any MDR night. Either enforce or do away with. We do dress formal on formal nite in MDR.

I had a friend on a cruise that didn't want to change for dinner, so he kept on his shorts and then a shirt, tie and jacket. It was strange, but, once he sat down, no one could tell he was wearing shorts.

Normandie is Smart Casual any night of the cruise, so he'll be okay.