Summit August 12 - 19

joelmarj

I know there have been a few reviews already, but thought we might provide our perspective.

Background: We are a couple in our early 50's, we are Elite with Celebrity and have sailed on all of their classes of ship, though not all the ships yet! We book everything from Concierge to Suites.

This cruise we were delighted in being able to get Sky Suite 6146 which is the one that is connected to the Penthouse. In our case, we had very quiet neighbors and never heard a peep out of them. The bathroom was terrific - oversized and just the right amount of space for two of us to get ready daily without being in the way. The closet space was on the smaller size, but more than sufficient. (Trust me, I'm an overpacker!). The absolute best part of the suite was indeed our butler, Keith. So kind, professional and very personable. We enjoyed our daily chats with him and even had a few funny inside jokes with him. We will be on the ship again in October and our greatest regret is that we don't have him as a butler!! (though he did beg us to try to change!!)

Speaking of staff, I have to say this was probably the most delightful experience of all with regard to staff and crew. We have never had any service issues on prior ships and always found people to be efficient and pleasant. On this ship in particular though, it just seemed that everyone without exception was so pleasant to deal with. We found that everyone from officers to crew were happy to do what it took to please you. They were very focused on service.

What is clear is that the Captain certainly leads by example. Capt Panos was such a charming and engaging person. We found him to be extremely personable and enjoyed getting to know him. His leadership is clearly reflected in the officers and crews dedication to ensuring complete the satisfaction of the passenagers. We had the priviledge of dining with him on the first formal night and really enjoyed the experience. Before dinner we had cocktails and canapes with our fellow tablemates and Lionel (CC Host). It was really a great time and we actually became friendly with one of the couples from that evening. We were also invited to join the Captain the following day for a tour of the bridge and then again to join him for coffee on another morning. We are fortunate that he is expected to be sailing with us again in October and we look forward to the pleasure of sailing with him.

As for the crowds - yes, it was crowded. The ship was at full capcity with over 400 children. It was also about 75% new Celebrity cruisers so it was indeed an interesting mix. Overall it was very pleasant and yes there are always the rare exceptions of running into someone that may be rude or annoying. I have to say it was minimal at best and we really have no major complaints about our fellow passengers.

The pools - they were crowded but honestly, if you were out there by 9 or 10 you could get a chair. Yes, it might not have been right next to the pool but there were chairs to had. The laugh for us were the families of 4 that would first show up at the pool around 11:30 and complain that there were no chairs up on the pool deck. Seriously, at 11:30 that's too late anywhere you go. Plus, we did find that chairs turned over all day. People did not necessarily stay out there all day as the weather really was quite hot. The one negative I do have is that parents refuse to read the signs that say NO DIAPERS. It really is annoying, and pool security did nothing about it. Every time we went by the TPool it was not full and you could get a chair. The hot tubs were HOT. Very very hot.

Restaurants - we had MDR table 206 for late seating. We had a great couple and great family of 3 at our table. Unfortunately the family of 3 only dined the one night opting for the buffet most other nights. We ate in Blu, Normandie and QSine each one night and the captains table once so we really were only in the main dining room 3 times. The service was very good, though they did seem busy. The someliers were busy but also backed each other up so our glasses were always full.

The Normandie is our favorite, but we were so full by the night we went there that it was hard to enjoy all the courses. The food and service were perfect. QSine was a fun experience but I think we will enjoy it more with more people. We are going to do this again in October with some friends so it should be fun. Blu is consistent and always good. We had breakfast there a few days and dinner once.

Drink package - we were on the line about buying this since we had 3 full days in Bermuda but once we figured out that we could also order bottles of water (including Pellegrini), it became worth it. We absolutely got our money's worth. The wine by the glass even had one of my favorite wines so that was my choice for dinner. Mornings frequently started with a glass or two of champagne by the pool!

Bermuda - this is a beautiful island with wonderful residents. Again, we met some of the nicest people during our time there. We did play golf one day at Port Royal. What a beautiful course. One word about golf clubs. I asked this before I left, but apparently had no good information. When boarding the Summit, depending on the longshoremen loading the luggage it will vary as to whether you can check your clubs or carry them on. This particular day they were not loading them and you had to carry them on. Apparently a week or two ago there was an incident where a passenger claimed something happened so they stopped that service. We carried our bags on (travel bags on wheels) and as soon as we boarded the ship, one of the officers immediately took it from us and had it delivered to our room. So it really was no hassle. At the end however, we were able to send them down with our luggage the night before and they were waiting with our bags for pick up.

Speaking of boarding, the Bayonne port was hands down the best embarkation and debarkation we have EVER experience. We got there about 10:30, easily dropped our bags with the porter and then dropped the car. We were on board by 11:15. Since we were in a suite, we actually booked the speciality restaurants right at check in (the Concierge is set up right there after you check in). On the last day, we were able to get group 1 for disembarking. We waited in the Normandie from about 7:45 AM for the all clear message. At 8:00 AM the announcement was made and we were cleared to disembark. From 8:00 AM we were off, got luggage, got car and were home, on Long Island by 10:00 AM!!!! Amazing!!!

The ship was spotless and well maintained. Someone else here reported dirty bathrooms but I have no idea where they were. I used several of the public facilities including those outside Oceanview and the other restaurants and never once saw anything but spotlessly cleaned bathrooms. All other areas around the ship were clean and well maintained. I can't think of anything that appeared unkempt.

Overall, this was indeed one of our best cruises despite the crowds and the number of "Locals" (that would be us too). The officers, crew and especially the Captain are to be thanked for making our trip so wonderful and we can not wait to board again on October 20th.

Hope I've given some insight, but please let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer.

Hey stranger:):D:).....hope you are doing well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise:D and thanks for sharing the

review!

I will be going on Summit in November and am really looking foward

to it. Hopefully Capt Panos will still be on board!:)

Thank you for your review. It will be our first cruise on Summit and some postings have become a little worrying. However, when we were on Infinity we watched senior staff checking all cleaning and 'secretly' wiping a finger across ledges! I am sure this must apply across the fleet.

It can't have been THAT great. We weren't there.:(

Opinions on these boards are always subjective, so if one person says it was great, and one says it was horrible, how do you know? Well, we've cruised with these two for years, went to eachothers' weddings, even went on their honeymoon! We cruise again with them in October, so now, to misquote another post title, "I KNOW THE TRUTH!"

If Joelmarj said it was good, I'm happy.

(And, if not, Ed will make Joel pay...can you say "death march" in St. Croix?"

Andrew

Let me clarify. I know the truth about how we will enjoy the ship. Barring unavoidable problems, I am confident that we will enjoy the Summit!:)

Andrew

Hi Andrew:D....I know I will too:)

I agree about the service but was totally shocked by the quality of the food. We were lucky enough to be able to dine at Blu but still had really poor food there. We got the lump crab cocktail which no way was lump but a finely grated lower calibre crab that was so fishy I had to drink a glass of wine to get the taste out of my mouth.

We ordered the gnocchi with artichokes and they never removed the choke - it was inedible.

Lastly, I got the cod(?) which was in a greasy crust, more crust than fish over a bed a peas (I hate peas - not their fault)

The only good food was at the 2 specially restaurants and the bistro on 5 - amazing and of course Cafe Bacio - wonderful and the burgers by the pool. Just my opinion - I don't know if we'll sail Celebrity again - maybe it's the millennium class - we sailed Solstice last time not even AQ

Hi Joel & Marg:

I keep hearing about the "T-Pool"! What is it and is it Adults Only!

I can't believe the "diapers" thing. Anyway, looking forward to our trip on Aug 26th.

WE have the premium beverage package and were wondering how the someliers were with matching wines by the glass? I read a few reviews that said they were streched a bit.

Thanks and happy sailing:

Gary & Norine

Aug 26th Bermuda

Hi Joel & Marg:

I can't believe the "diapers" thing. Anyway, looking forward to our trip on Aug 26th.

This past June, I literally got out of my chair and screamed at a lady attempting to dunk her diapered baby in the T-pool.

Hey stranger:):D:).....hope you are doing well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise:D and thanks for sharing the

review!

I will be going on Summit in November and am really looking foward

to it. Hopefully Capt Panos will still be on board!:)

How are you?? Hope you are well. Unfortunately Capt Panos goes on vacation right after our cruise. He then goes to the Eclipse in January. We actually looked into some of those sailings in 2013. Might be tough because they are longer (12/14 days). Not sure who is replacing him

Hi Joel & Marg:

WE have the premium beverage package and were wondering how the someliers were with matching wines by the glass? I read a few reviews that said they were streched a bit.

Thanks and happy sailing:

Gary & Norine

Aug 26th Bermuda

The TPool is the indoor Therolassal (can't spell it, that's why it's the TPool) is sort of adults. It is for 16 and older but I have rarely if ever seen young people hanging there. It's a very sedate environment with no music and such. It's near the spa.

As for the pairings, we had no problem starting with sparkling wine or champagne then moving to wine and then after dinner drinks. For the first two we would just mention that we wanted to start with champagne then switch to wine. We had our selections ready though we were given refills throughout dinner. They then came back after dinner for after dinner drinks choices.

I agree about the service but was totally shocked by the quality of the food. We were lucky enough to be able to dine at Blu but still had really poor food there. We got the lump crab cocktail which no way was lump but a finely grated lower calibre crab that was so fishy I had to drink a glass of wine to get the taste out of my mouth.

We ordered the gnocchi with artichokes and they never removed the choke - it was inedible.

Lastly, I got the cod(?) which was in a greasy crust, more crust than fish over a bed a peas (I hate peas - not their fault)

The only good food was at the 2 specially restaurants and the bistro on 5 - amazing and of course Cafe Bacio - wonderful and the burgers by the pool. Just my opinion - I don't know if we'll sail Celebrity again - maybe it's the millennium class - we sailed Solstice last time not even AQ

I sorry to hear your food was not up to your liking. We were quite happy with most choices but we also only did the main dining room 3 times. The weight I gained certainly attests to the fact that I found plenty to eat!!

:p

Let me clarify. I know the truth about how we will enjoy the ship. Barring unavoidable problems, I am confident that we will enjoy the Summit!:)

Andrew

Sailing with you and Ed will guarantee an even better vacation!!!

Can not wait - we miss you guys

How are you?? Hope you are well. Unfortunately Capt Panos goes on vacation right after our cruise. He then goes to the Eclipse in January. We actually looked into some of those sailings in 2013. Might be tough because they are longer (12/14 days). Not sure who is replacing him

Hi, I am doing ok, thanks:)......oh he is leaving at the very beginning

of November? Fooey:(

I know there have been a few reviews already, but thought we might provide our perspective.

Hope I've given some insight, but please let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer.

Thank you very much for your review, Marj! I've read a few downer reviews about the Summit recently and I've been hoping it's just that some people don't know how to have a good time:rolleyes: I, too, am on the Oct. repo and feel quite uplifted by your review. Can't wait...:D

Deb

Archived