Late 20's cruiser just back from first solo on Mariner of the seas

zpdw484

Finally arrived home late last night after a long day of sitting at Hobby airport, dealing with a delayed flight and having to make a mad dash, in flip flops, through ATL airport to barely catch my connecting flight home. Now after a loooooog day at work today, it is totally obvious that I have a bad case of PCD!!!!!

I am a 28 yr old single male and have been thinking about solo cruising for the past couple of years and was actually booked solo last summer (2012). Anyways I ended up going on that cruise with my sister and BIL. We had a great time but it definately had it awkward moments. So this year I took the plunge and booked myself on mariner of the seas for the March 24th sailing.

I had a great time!!!!!!!!!!! There was a few bumps along the way but for the most part it was great!!! I met many great people and I don't ever remember feeling lonely. This was my 10th cruise but first solo and the first time i signed up for the meet and mingle. In my opinion this is a must do for solo cruisers!!! Best case you will find good friends to hang out with durring the week, and worst case you will atleast have a few familiar faces to run across durring the week.

I was fortunate enough to start cruising at a pretty young age so I have quiet a few points racked up with RCI. I did get some pretty nasty looks from the "older" crowd while I was sitting in the priority boarding area and the priority disembarkation lounge. Not sure if it was because I was by myself or if they just thought I was waay to young to be there lol

There were a few awkward moments involving sunscreen, etc, but nothing major. The worst was on a snorkeling excursin in roatan. on the way to the snorkel site i did the sunsccreen thing (everything but my back, beause i do not have guarilla arms). When we finally got to the site, everyone was applying sunscreen. So I thought I seen the perfect opportunity. I grabbed my "spray" sunscreen and politely walked over to a group that consisted of mostly middle aged females (thinking they would be the most willing to spray my back down) and asked if someone could please spray my back. They all turn at the exact same time and just stare at me lol. Thankfully after about 5 seconds of awkward silence the father from another family sitting close by offered to spray my back.

I am a major planner so I had all my excursions booked before I left home. Next time I will probably just wait until I get on the ship unless there is something I want to do really bad or if I am joining a group on roll call, etc. The reason I say this is that after the first sea day which included the meet and mingle, and then the second sea day onboard the ship I had made some friends and we had started to form our "group" for the week. Then on the first port day it seemed as if I had to "start over" on the excursion and really couldn't find anyone that I "hit it off with". I kinda feel like I wasted a day because the other 2 ports I got to spend with my "group" and had an absolute blast! But I suppose If I had "hit it off" with many people on the excursion I would be looking at it totally different.

For all those "younger" solo cruisers that are worried about being the only people in "our" age bracket, don't. I didn't run into any true "solos" in there twenties besides myself, but there was many "singles" that were with family, etc. Also don't be afraid to talk to couples. All couples don't want to be locked in there own little world all the time. Some want to socialize and meet people as much as anyone else.

I would not say that solo cruising is for everyone But I will say if you are slightly independent and comfortable being by yourself "at times" then you will probably love solo cruising. If you absolutely have to have someone right beside you at all times then you may feel a bit lonely at times but that is the nature of the beast. I live by myself and am used to doing things by myself but I also like to meet people and have a good time so it fit me perfectly.

So was it perfect?? No, it definately wasn't perfect, but in my experience, nothing in life is ever "perfect".

Will you get the "Oh my god, your on a cruise alone?" YES, many many many many times..... But you will probably have just as many people say "well good for you" or " I wish I had the nerve to do that" or "I wish I had done things like that when I was your age".

Will I cruise solo again?? Definately! I would not hesitate one bit about booking a solo cruise again. (actually will prob have one booked by the end of the week lol) I would cruise with family and friends again also but I would be very "picky" about who I went with. No way I would agreee to go with "someone" just to not be solo.

So was it worth it???? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed cruising solo! I feel the same way, can't believe I waited so long to try a solo cruise myself...first one was last November, and now I'm leaving on another one later this month because I enjoyed the first one so much! :)

I'm married and I have absolutely no problem traveling alone, dining alone or even cruising alone. If you can do it, then by all means do it. If people give you strange stares or make snide comments, that's indicative of their bad behavior, not yours. I've had many wonderful adventures with and without my husband and I will never hesitate to travel alone at any time. Happy Trails!

Welcome back and glad you had a great first solo cruise experience! Agree with all you have to say with advise. During my solo cruises I've experienced all that you had (with the exception of the sun screen adventure) and even with the few awkward moments there is nothing like a solo cruise.

Get that next solo cruise booked! :) Can't wait to be on my next solo cruise in 10 days!

Have either of you gone on a singles cruise with vacations to go or singlescruises? I'm going on one for Halloween and it seems like there is plenty to do as a group.

No I haven't done any of the "singles" cruises. This was my first time sailing without friends or family. I'm sure you will have a great time and hopefully they will have some good group activities for you guys. Be sure to come back and let us know how it went!

Glad you enjoyed your first solo cruise and on the Mariner. I was on her the end of Feb. What a beautiful ship. I was semi solo. Sailed with extended family but went my own way most of time. I agree with you about the meet and mingle. It's a great way to meet people. I signed up for mine and made some great new friiends I ended up spended most of my days with. Another great place to meet people I found was breakfast in the main dinning room every morning. I would go alone and be seated at a table with someone new every day. I would talk to people and find out what they have planned for port during the week. I meet one family that after talking to me signed up for the same cave tubing excursion I had booked. It was nice to have familar faces along on the excursion.

After coming home and suffering from PCD I have booked my first truely solo cruise. It's only a 2day cruise to nowhere but all I could manage at this time. Still looking forward to going it alone though.

Have a great time on your next solo cruise and come back and tell us about it.

Well I made it less than 2 weeks before I had to scratch the itch! Just booked Freedom of the seas western Caribbean for the first week of September (labor day week). Time to start doing some planning!! The countdown begins all over....... :)

Well I made it less than 2 weeks before I had to scratch the itch! Just booked Freedom of the seas western Caribbean for the first week of September (labor day week). Time to start doing some planning!! The countdown begins all over....... :)

Wahoo! That's the way to do it! I'm on the Freedom of the seas solo, two and a half months after you just booked and I can't wait!

Wahoo! That's the way to do it! I'm on the Freedom of the seas solo, two and a half months after you just booked and I can't wait!

You will love the Freedom of the seas! Was on her last summer (not solo) and she is definitely my favorite ship! I'm just hoping for no hurricanes the first week of September lol Solo cruise number 2 here I come!

Archived