Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board

Host Walt

Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?

• Yes, absolutely. It's a great idea.
    • I'm OK with it for now but would like to see how it works.
    • Not a big fan of that idea but will go along.
    • No. That's a bad idea and I cannot go along with it.

We have received a few emails suggesting that we follow the lead of the moderators of the Princess board and confine all discussions about smoking policies of Holland America lines to a single thread that will be "stuck" at the top of the HAL home page.

If you'd like to see the Princess "sticky" thread click on this link: Discuss Implementation of Smoking Policy

Because the forum belongs to its members, before we do that we'd like your input.

If we follow the Princess model, all posts that discuss any and all aspects of smoking on board HAL ships must be made in the "stuck" thread. All other smoking threads would be deleted.

(I understand from Host Andy that the "sticky" thread approach is working well, with some exceptions, and has been accepted by the members who frequent the Princess cruises board.)

If there is general acceptance we will establish the new approach next week, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. Otherwise we will stay with the current approach.

Nothing will stop posters from starting new smoking threads. How fast will they be removed?

They would be deleted as soon as they are seen regardless of content. That's the point of this poll; merely starting a smoking thread is not a contravention of our Community Guidelines, but under this change, all smoking threads would be deleted anyway.

Yes please, if that means you will immediately merge any new ones starting up into this one.

However, it may be the slippery slope to too many stickies again, and maybe will seem like discrimination when you consider some of the ones that were booted out.

Edited by Lizzie68

Yes, please. The smoking threads have gotten WAY out of hand.

Scrolling past one more small thread is a very small price for having threads on other topics remain longer on the first page ( instead of getting pushed down because there are so many threads just on smoking.)

Yes, please. The smoking threads have gotten WAY out of hand.

Scrolling past one more small thread is a very small price for having threads on other topics remain longer on the first page ( instead of getting pushed down because there are so many threads just on smoking.)

Very good point. I take back what I said in my earlier post.

and because EVERY time I see another smoking thread I think of what RIGOLETTO said to the Duke's courtesans: "Che del usato piu noiosi voi siete" - translates fairly exactly as "OH, you're (even) more boring than usual!"