Obstructed Oceanview on Nieuw Amsterdam - Do windows open?

AryMay

I've looked at some photos of the category H cabins on deck 4 of the Nieuw Amsterdam. The windows look like full length doors that you would find in a balcony cabin but I'm wondering if they actually open to let in fresh air. I realize that these are behind the life boats with little to no view.

We had a similar type cabin on a Carnival ship several years ago and although we had no view, the "window" was really just a balcony door and it did open (there was a plexiglass barrier to keep you from going out on the catwalk by the lifeboats.) It was nice to be able to open the door occasionally.

I've looked at some photos of the category H cabins on deck 4 of the Nieuw Amsterdam. The windows look like full length doors that you would find in a balcony cabin but I'm wondering if they actually open to let in fresh air.

Windows open to let in fresh air would be on the "No No" list right next to blocking your veranda door open. It disrupts the A/C for more than just your cabin as they have zone air handlers of some sort. The humidity also affects the other cabins.

We've been assigned this type of cabin a few times. Nice idea if they doors did open, but of course the A/C problems are very real. I wonder how Carnival deals with that?

I don't see how these cabins would be any different than balcony cabins when it comes to opening the door. In fact, when a lifeboat is staring you in the face, there really wouldn't be any reason to KEEP the door open. I'm sure balcony doors are left open all the time even if it is on the "no-no list". ;)

Anyway...I was only asking because I thought I might get an upgrade to an obstructed oceanview from my inside cabin assignment since the price had dropped (and it is past final payment.) BUT...my TA managed to get me a non-obstructed oceanview cabin instead so all is good! (And I do know those don't open!)

If you block open the balcony door, the huge roar of air coming through your main cabin entry door vents will be a dead giveaway that your balcony door is propped open. You will quickly get a knock on your cabin door, or a phone call asking you to close your balcony door. The hot, humid air getting sucked into the air conditioning system warms up your cabin and others in your grouping. Many times when passengers complain that their AC doesn't cool properly, it's because one of their neighbors has their door propped open.