Need Feedback on Possible Date Change

txwriter

So, we have been planning for a LONG time. We were supposed to go this summer, but due to circumstances with my grandmother, we are going in 2018 instead.

Due to mom's somewhat limited mobility, we have decided a cruisetour starting in Fairbanks and working our way down to the Kenai peninsula before boarding in Whittier will be our choice.

I know one date is "too early for Eilson," but that is NOT a huge factor for us. I also know that there is no way to know specifically what the weather will be, how many animals will be out, etc. I am just looking for some guidance, and generalities are fine.

The dates are: May 25-June 9

Or: July 20-Aug 4

We are already booked on the earlier tour but are considering a change since Mom's birthday (her 75th) would fall during our trip on the later dates. Price is not too much more.

Thoughts???

I love the late May-June time frame for the longer daylight hours. Most of my cruises have been in this time frame. Generally drier and snow on the mountains. Vendors have just opened up for the season and are still glad to see people, by Sept they just want to leave again lol.

Not knowing your itinerary we can only guess at your actual time at Denali but if you are in Fairbanks on May 25th, you will arrive at Denali too early.... before the complete park road opens in early June. You will also be too early to see the Salmon runs in Ketchikan. Salmon runs increase the chances to see the bears in Southeast Alaska. Other than that May to June would be very nice.

When is your mom's birthday? It would be really nice to celebrate on the ship.....just let the cruise line know that you will be celebrating a birthday while onboard.....with a serenade from the dining stewards and a cake (on HAL). I'm sure other lines also celebrate birthdays. Even if you are not onboard on the exact day tell them you will be celebrating on your cruise!

I would not limit my 'trip of a lifetime' and that of my mom by going during a time that could be limited by weather or park schedules.

I would take the July dates, no question.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Well, the problem is that the weather seems to do what it wants when it wants...I have read more than one report of snowstorms late while also reading many reports of perfect weather earlier in the season.

. Other than that May to June would be very nice.

When is your mom's birthday? It would be really nice to celebrate on the ship.....just let the cruise line know that you will be celebrating a birthday while onboard.....with a serenade from the dining stewards and a cake (on HAL). I'm sure other lines also celebrate birthdays. Even if you are not onboard on the exact day tell them you will be celebrating on your cruise!

Thank you.

Mom's birthday is July 26th. We will be at the Princess Kenai Lodge that day (not on the ship), but I suspect I'd be able to acquire some birthday cake and ice cream for her.:D

I love the late May-June time frame for the longer daylight hours. Most of my cruises have been in this time frame. Generally drier and snow on the mountains. Vendors have just opened up for the season and are still glad to see people, by Sept they just want to leave again lol.

Thanks, Doug. These are some of the reasons we originally picked this time. We simply changed from 2017 to 2018; I hadn't thought much about doing it for her birthday until recently which is when I started wondering 🤔. She spent her 50th birthday on top of the Matterhorn with my grandmother who just passed away in March this year. I was thinking it might be a fitting bookend for her to be in Alaska (though not atop a mountain).

I started thinking so much that I'm liable to spring a leak! So, I'm relying on the kindness of strangers to help me sort through what the differences might be.

Mom is happy either way.

I also like May to June and May if possible because there will be less children there and even more snow on the mountains.

Sorry you had to delay the cruise but glad you will be taking it in 2018 and wish you all a wonderful time.

Keith

Your May 25-June 9 dates are in the range of what is on average the driest part of the season. On Princess, there are far less kids then ( did 3 back-to-backs on the Coral Princess starting on June 12th a few years ago, so saw the difference). I also prefer to see more snow on the mountains for more interesting photography. Add the longer hours of daylight, and it's an easy choice for me.

I'd suggest doing the tour during her birthday. It would be SO special, and I'm certain, a nice celebration could be done at the lodge. I'd suggest calling them direct and inquire what they could offer you? You likely will have a willing vendor.

I'm not one to put off, but, I also see the DAY having significant importance. It just is NOT going to be any sort of a "special" birthday trip going 2 months ahead.

Thank you.

Mom's birthday is July 26th. We will be at the Princess Kenai Lodge that day (not on the ship), but I suspect I'd be able to acquire some birthday cake and ice cream for her.:D

kenai lodge will be a wonderful Birthday .

they recognized birthdays there in the restaurant and on the bus before everyone exited.

Also had balloon and birthday wishes noted in the room

We went in May and loved it. Only had rain one day. Snow on the mountains was beautiful. Lots of whale bubble feeding activity and saw bears as well. I have also been in late August and would pick May again for future trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I decided to leave the choice to Mom since it is her trip more than mine. She really felt like we should stick with the May/June dates, so that's what we will do. As I said, we were planning a similar timeframe for 2017, so it was never originally meant to be a birthday trip. It would have been fun, but it still will be fun. 😄

I really felt like it should ultimately be up to her.