NCL Pearl May 15-22, 2016, Alaska Cruise

Sleepwalker2341

My wife an I are booked on the Pearl for the May 15-22, 2016 cruise.

We live in Florida and have decided to make this a real road trip, as we are going to drive out there. We are going a week to 10 days earlier, so we can stop and visit attractions and enjoy the scenery. On the way back we will be going through Vegas and visit the Grand Canyon and well as some relatives.

Since we will have a car to park during the cruise, is there a parking area that is suggested we use? Is it close to the terminal?

Also, any recommendations for a hotel near the cruise terminal?

Anyone have any suggestions for excursions? We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC.

Thanks

Sleepwalker

Wow - road trip from Florida to Seattle...

wagon-queen-family-truckster-national-lampoons-vacation.jpg

Hotels in Seattle vary tremendously by budget. $69 to $400 per night. All depends on your budget. If money is no object, may I recommend the Seattle Marriott Waterfront. For parking, you might consider the long term lots near the airport. Here's a starting point. Also, check out the West Coast Departures Forum here on Cruise Critic.

Excursions run the gamut. There are a wealth of things to do in those ports depending on your interests and activity level. Fishing excursions to train rides to helicopter-glacier adventures. You should read some of the recent Alaska reviews in the forum here for more information.

Here are some of my photos... be inspired! I've been three times and have another trip booked for next year.

White Pass & Yukon Railroad (Skagway):

3111-1024x682.jpg

Butchart Gardens (Victoria):

DSC_71821-1024x682.jpg

Helicopter Glacier Adventure (Skagway):

4.jpg

Evening Whale Watching Quest (Juneau):

DSC_8149.jpg

Totem Bight State Historical Park (Ketchikan):

18b1-1024x682.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

My wife an I are booked on the Pearl for the May 15-22, 2016 cruise.

We live in Florida and have decided to make this a real road trip, as we are going to drive out there. We are going a week to 10 days earlier, so we can stop and visit attractions and enjoy the scenery. On the way back we will be going through Vegas and visit the Grand Canyon and well as some relatives.

Thanks

Sleepwalker

You are traveling over 3,000 miles. I've driven across country twice. If you miss most rush hour traffic, you are still going to average about 50 miles per hour (stops for rest, food, gas, bathroom ...). If you drive 10 hours per day you will go about 500 miles per day. That is six days plus you are going to lose a few days for stops. Plus you might have mechanical issues. If you drive 12 hours per day you will go about 600 miles per day. That is still five days driving plus stops.

I would suggest something closer to 10 to 14 days would be better than seven to ten days.

Triptolemus...thanks for the info and the pictures. They are definitely inspiring!

Luckily we wont be going in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster...LOL. We will probably be going in my wife's mustang convertible. It gets better gas mileage than my F150. :)

Culzer2... I'm used to driving 12-13 hours a day, as I have relatives in PA and drive that straight through. Depending where I'm going, I can drive 750-800 miles in that time frame. I don't want to do that every day but I can do 3 or 4 days at that distance. I may need to talk the wife into cutting out a few stops though. I want to take 10 days going out. Might need to rethink things.

Thanks!

Sleepwalker

Some hotels in Seattle have parking packages where you can leave your car while you cruise if you stay there a night or so before. Sorry I can't remember which ones.. possibly Embassy Suites by airport.

Some hotels in Seattle have parking packages where you can leave your car while you cruise if you stay there a night or so before. Sorry I can't remember which ones.. possibly Embassy Suites by airport.

We will check into that, as that is where we were talking about staying. My wife has the Hilton Honors program and that is one of their places.

Thanks for letting me know.

John

We are on the same cruise as you are, but when you get to be our age flying is the only way to go, lol. I do miss the long road trips.

I've always had a fear of flying, so if I want to take an Alaskan cruise, this is the only way I'll get to do it...LOL. Luckily my wife is all for taking the opportunity to do a lot of sightseeing on the way there and back.

John

It is noit near the cruise terminal, but we stayed in a budget motel near the airport which included parking and a shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. Everything closer was pretty expensive.

Thanks for the head up. I know what you mean by things in town being expensive. Almost went into sticker shock...lol.

John

Anyone have any suggestions for excursions? We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC.

Thanks

Sleepwalker

There are HUNDREDS of tours. I suggest you, look at your shore excursion list and significantly narrow down your interests. This is 50% of Alaska travel and not the place to skimp- in my opinion. :)

A lot more information can be gotten over on the Alaska ports of call board. But head to your library first- there are several Alaska Ports of Call books to look over.

There are HUNDREDS of tours. I suggest you, look at your shore excursion list and significantly narrow down your interests. This is 50% of Alaska travel and not the place to skimp- in my opinion. :)

A lot more information can be gotten over on the Alaska ports of call board. But head to your library first- there are several Alaska Ports of Call books to look over.

I've been checking Cruiseportinsider.com . It has a lot of info.

Thanks!

John

• 4 weeks later...
I've always had a fear of flying, so if I want to take an Alaskan cruise, this is the only way I'll get to do it...LOL. Luckily my wife is all for taking the opportunity to do a lot of sightseeing on the way there and back.

John

My friend and I are booked on a May Alaska cruise. I have great fear of flying. We are going from Chicago to Seattle by Amtrak. It's a 46 hr 2 night trip, it part of the trip/cruise! It's great you can get anywhere you really want to go without flying! Have a great road trip!

We drove from Chicago to Seattle for our Alaskan cruise. It was really the trip of a lifetime. We visited the Badlands, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Cody, a little silver town in Idaho, and had a full day in Seattle. The view of Mt Rainer as you cross the Columbia River will take your breath away. We drove back in two days through North Dakota through the National Grasslands and Fargo instead of South...that was the killer. I highly recommend such a trip, though.

We stayed in hotel out towards SeaTac because in town was just too expensive. We just parked in the port terminal parking. It's just across the street. I can't remember the cost, and it was years ago, but as I remember they took our bags in the garage and they ended up at our cabin door. Since that was our very first cruise, we were just totally enchanted by all that.

Have a wonderful time!!!!

Alpshi and DrValo, we are looking forward to the trip.

DrValo, we plan on visiting many of the places you mentioned. We are thinking of staying near the airport at an Embassy Suites. They will let us keep our car there during the cruise for free. They will also shuttle us to and from the port.

Sleepwalker

We are on Same cruise also! lol

Sorry you have fear of flying.....I USED to be fearful, but I've been a

frequent flyer for years, so it goes away.

Wow, Thats an awfully long drive.

I don't even drive to Vegas, unless I have to.

We live in Calif. but were Flying to Seattle that morning, and flying

out that evening on return.

We went on similar Alaska itinerary in May this year, and liked it so

much were going back. (Weather was WARM, didn't need a jacket!)

However, I do believe Pearl has Gotta be a better ship than what we went on NCL Sun in May. (long story short, its the Only NCL ship I regret getting on) See ya on Pearl, May 2016!

We are on Same cruise also! lol

Sorry you have fear of flying.....I USED to be fearful, but I've been a

frequent flyer for years, so it goes away.

Wow, Thats an awfully long drive.

I don't even drive to Vegas, unless I have to.

We live in Calif. but were Flying to Seattle that morning, and flying

out that evening on return.

We went on similar Alaska itinerary in May this year, and liked it so

much were going back. (Weather was WARM, didn't need a jacket!)

However, I do believe Pearl has Gotta be a better ship than what we went on NCL Sun in May. (long story short, its the Only NCL ship I regret getting on) See ya on Pearl, May 2016!

CLC...yes, it's a really long drive, but we are going to get to see things we've always wanted to see. Plus we get to see relatives on the trip back.

I hope the weather is good, I was wondering what a trip to Alaska in May would be like, weather wise.

We are booked in an aft mini-suite. First time in an aft cabin for us.

Sleepwalker

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking about booking the White Pass and Yukon tour with Chilkoot Charters and Tours.

Anyone use them before?

John

Yes, very good company. We used them the following year, too, for a van up and back since we wanted to stop a lot for photos. If I'm not mistaken, we did a hike in Skagway with them on our first cruise to Alaska in 2006.

Yes, very good company. We used them the following year, too, for a van up and back since we wanted to stop a lot for photos. If I'm not mistaken, we did a hike in Skagway with them on our first cruise to Alaska in 2006.

Thanks for the reply. I think we will probably book with them.

We will probably do the bus up, train back option.

Thanks again

John

Thanks for the reply. I think we will probably book with them.

We will probably do the bus up, train back option.

Thanks again

John

They are a well run company who operate several tours. I have gone with them.

But for my priorities, I choose Dyea Dave as I prefer their transit routine. :) I have used them for both the Fraser train, and southbound Lake Bennett train (which is spectacular). :)

Last year- I rode with Dave 7 times on various tours. Really enjoyed the trips with him and his drivers. Very well done. :)

They are a well run company who operate several tours. I have gone with them.

But for my priorities, I choose Dyea Dave as I prefer their transit routine. :) I have used them for both the Fraser train, and southbound Lake Bennett train (which is spectacular). :)

Last year- I rode with Dave 7 times on various tours. Really enjoyed the trips with him and his drivers. Very well done. :)

Why do you prefer Dyea Dave? Anything in particular? I'll check them out too.

Thanks

John

• 2 months later...

Dyea Dave is great! 5 of us took a tour up to Emerald Lake in 2009 and is was so memorable! We got photos ops by the Welcome to Alaska Sign as well as the Welcome to the Yukon sign. Lots of photo ops and a very affordable great trip. My parents are going with us again this year and they are thinking about going on his tour again this year.

We say Dyea Dave in town a couple years ago in his little Metropolitan. He is a great guy. Gave a local a lift down the road. He didn't know them but they were a local and Skagway is a small town 7 months a year.