Bumper cars are for the kids - not you!

I would just like to state what I thought was the obvious, but what seems to be missed by several.

I see many, many, many post's of people saying they don't get the purpose or the appeal of bumper cars on QoS. To me this is similar to saying I don't get the purpose of the kid clubs. Are you kidding me!?

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand how bumper cars don't appeal to adults, especially those without kids. But surely everyone can understand that the target audience of bumper cars are not the single traveler, the retiree's, or couples without kids etc...

I have 3 kids from the age of 9 to 14 and I pretty much got a 'wow' from them when telling them about the cars on-board (among other items like those at SeaPlex).

So my opinion on this is that RCI are targeting families with kids. Their purpose is to appeal to them.

That being said, it still may not appeal to all children and the novelty might wear off after a few rides, but doing some quick polling with some friends and family - it looks like these will be a huge hit with KIDS - not you!

So yes we understand that bumper cars may not appeal to you, just like video games in the kids club might not either. But there is more than one demographic to target. I am sure RCI has done their homework on this.

Not looking to get flamed - just sharing an opinion.

P.S. And for those who are "big" kids and want to indulge - go for it! :D

DaddyBytes

Some friends of mine and myself intend on making the kids wait in line. :p

I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it. I always loved bumper cars.

Gina

I suspect after a few drinks there will be lots of "big kids" in line!

I would just like to state what I thought was the obvious, but what seems to be missed by several.

I see many, many, many post's of people saying they don't get the purpose or the appeal of bumper cars on QoS. To me this is similar to saying I don't get the purpose of the kid clubs. Are you kidding me!?

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand how bumper cars don't appeal to adults, especially those without kids. But surely everyone can understand that the target audience of bumper cars are not the single traveler, the retiree's, or couples without kids etc...

I have 3 kids from the age of 9 to 14 and I pretty much got a 'wow' from them when telling them about the cars on-board (among other items like those at SeaPlex).

So my opinion on this is that RCI are targeting families with kids. Their purpose is to appeal to them.

That being said, it still may not appeal to all children and the novelty might wear off after a few rides, but doing some quick polling with some friends and family - it looks like these will be a huge hit with KIDS - not you!

So yes we understand that bumper cars may not appeal to you, just like video games in the kids club might not either. But there is more than one demographic to target. I am sure RCI has done their homework on this.

DaddyBytes

I don't think that is a new perspective. It has been pretty obvious since Voyager was built in 1999.

This seventy year old perpetual kid plans to ride in the bumper cars. Little whippersnappers can wait their turn.

Pretty close to you in age and could not agree more.

I don't think RCI get that the Baby Boomers think more like us and yet they don't seem to be targeting us. :confused:

Where are all these kids (Klingons) coming from between the US Summer Holidays ?? for these cruises especially the longer ones :confused:

I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it.

You know Gina, I thought the same thing about the carousel. I thought it was a dumb idea for a cruise ship. But that stupid thing turned out to be a lot of fun. I guess it's just different when you are in vacation mode and are more willing to let your hair down and just have fun. That's hard to remember when we are typing away on CC.

You know Gina, I thought the same thing about the carousel. I thought it was a dumb idea for a cruise ship. But that stupid thing turned out to be a lot of fun. I guess it's just different when you are in vacation mode and are more willing to let your hair down and just have fun. That's hard to remember when we are typing away on CC.

Good points.

When we were on the Oasis a good while back i asked the crew member who was in charge and was a youngish woman, who used the Carousel the most ? ... the reply was Adults ...:D so i guess the same will happen with the Bumper cars.

I think the bumper cars is a novel idea. You've got an arcade and a carousel already, why not bumper cars? Next will be some kind of roller coaster that goes throughout the ship!

I certainly would try it, even though I'm a grown adult but still a kid at heart. Just like when they put mini golf and rollerblading on a ship, it's something that you might not think of doing, but you'll probably want to try if the opportunity presents itself.

Some friends of mine and myself intend on making the kids wait in line. :p

I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it. I always loved bumper cars.

Gina

I'm going to add two opinions, and this is related to an attitude I picked up on Allure. This is of no interest to me, but it means a little less crowds at whatever I'm interested in. That was key to Allure not feeling crowded to me.

My other thought was, if this fails totally the area can quickly be converted to something else as it is also a basketball court. Maybe this is where Quest will be held on this class of ship. I will eventually sale this ship, but I anticipate it being a year old. I went on Freedom when it was 2 years old and Allure when Oasis was a year old. Works for me. I look forward to hearing from all of you in the first season.

I'm going to add two opinions, and this is related to an attitude I picked up on Allure. This is of no interest to me, but it means a little less crowds at whatever I'm interested in. That was key to Allure not feeling crowded to me.

My other thought was, if this fails totally the area can quickly be converted to something else as it is also a basketball court. Maybe this is where Quest will be held on this class of ship. I will eventually sale this ship, but I anticipate it being a year old. I went on Freedom when it was 2 years old and Allure when Oasis was a year old. Works for me. I look forward to hearing from all of you in the first season.

It really could be a while before I go on Quantum, too. I'm finally going on Oasis next month - only because a friend of ours wants us to go for his birthday.

I am a little more interested in Quantum though just because it's not quite as large as Oasis class.

Gina

It really could be a while before I go on Quantum, too. I'm finally going on Oasis next month - only because a friend of ours wants us to go for his birthday.

I am a little more interested in Quantum though just because it's not quite as large as Oasis class.

Gina

The timing of this ship may work out for us as by then I will have more vacation time and I would consider 7-12 day cruises on this ship if we sail in cooler weather.

Hubby and I had tons of fun on a bumper car ride last year at a theme park. Tons of fun, I've never seen him laugh so much during one ride! :D I suspect if we get the opportunity to do this while cruising, that it'll be a similiar result, or even better! It is an activity all ages can enjoy, which is why RCI can appeal to so many different groups of people.

DaddyBytes

I agree, but I plan on doing the bumper cars, just like I plan on riding the carousel on Oasis.

The bumper cars on Surf Ave. in Coney Island are really cool for kids of all ages with the flashing lights and loud music. If I was on the Quantum I would most likely try them so I could say "hey I was on bumper cars on a cruise ship" but I would have to agree with the OP that these ones look rather "kiddie".

If they are trying to target families, why not put more "wow" factor into the pool deck? How come Royal has no water slides? The H2O zone is basically a toddler splash pad- I was surprised they didn't do more in this area. Instead of that pod thing, how about a really tall waterslide, maybe one of those tube ones that goes over the side like on the Disney ship?

My kids could take or leave bumper cars, flowriders, and rock walls...but boy would they love an updated pool experience!

Archived