Split - Private Tours

sarar

If you check Search forum you ll see poster who used HOHO bus and enjoyed it....we went on own,,,very easy walk to Palace from pier,,,,and old town behind it...just get a guidebook and can see it completely and at own pace...many cafes line boardwalk or town area...

Can also get bike from ship,,,can check yours,,,,and some rode around outskirts...an option....we were in port 6 hrs. and had plenty of time...:)

We visited Split several years ago on a driving trip and it would be very easy to do on your own. Another site which may be interesting to you is Trogir, with a picturesque old town on an island 10-15 miles north of Split. We had our own car but I would think you would be able to get there by taxi, certainly by bus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were in Split in May - 9am - 4pm. Six of us were planning to simply DIY. As we walked from the ship, the Split Vision City Tour buses were lined up right at the port entrance with ladies enticing us to go on their tour. We decided to take the offer. It cost 120 Kuna (about 22USD) and included the Walking Tour of the Diocletian's Palace. The bus was an "open-top" vehicle with a tour guide giving commentary. We thought it gave us an excellent overview of the town/city. The bus section of the tour was about an hour - we didn't get off. The Walking Tour of the Palace was about another hour - 1 1/2 hours and finished at the Palace. We then wandered around. Looked at the shops, stalls and exhibitions and had a drink at a taverna (beer and wine both excellent). We bought some pizza from a stall for a light late lunch. On the way back to the ship (it's not far - just a few minutes walk), we found some markets with lots of stalls and great gelato.

We were back on the ship by the required 3pm and had a very cheap, relaxing and enjoyable day. I'd definitely recommend it.

I also want to add that it is very easy to see Split on your own. With a good map of the city we had no problem getting around and seeing the sites in town. And you can also arrange to take a taxi if you would like to get out of the town.

Keith

• 5 months later...

there are plenty of web sites where you can book your croatian tours or the tours in other mediterranean countries. you can try: Ourexplorer or private-guides.com just make sure you look for credentials before booking the tours. personally, my party saved a lot compared to ship excursions prices by booking our private tours in egypt and spain.

or if you do not want to book your tours in advance, in split you can simply walk to the tourist office on the old town's square - the peristil - and there is a tourist office where they can book a private tour for you upon your arrival.

Edited by adriatic385

• 5 months later...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were in Split in May - 9am - 4pm. Six of us were planning to simply DIY. As we walked from the ship, the Split Vision City Tour buses were lined up right at the port entrance with ladies enticing us to go on their tour. We decided to take the offer. It cost 120 Kuna (about 22USD) and included the Walking Tour of the Diocletian's Palace. The bus was an "open-top" vehicle with a tour guide giving commentary. We thought it gave us an excellent overview of the town/city. The bus section of the tour was about an hour - we didn't get off. The Walking Tour of the Palace was about another hour - 1 1/2 hours and finished at the Palace. We then wandered around. Looked at the shops, stalls and exhibitions and had a drink at a taverna (beer and wine both excellent). We bought some pizza from a stall for a light late lunch. On the way back to the ship (it's not far - just a few minutes walk), we found some markets with lots of stalls and great gelato.

We were back on the ship by the required 3pm and had a very cheap, relaxing and enjoyable day. I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks for this lead. A most interest web site http://www.visitsplitcroatia.com/webtour.php

We just returned from a 14 day on Norweegian Jade which had a 7 hour stop (11 to 6) in Split. We hired Maja Benzon (maja.benzon@gmail.com) after we read her recommendation on Rick Steves tv show (she was his guide). She met us at the "city model" right outside of the port area. We went by van to the beautiful city of Trogir and loved it here. After that, we drove back to Split where we had lunch, and then toured Split and the Diocletian Palace. It was a perfecr day and I would recommend her HIGHLY.

wwb

We are going to be in Split as well. Our ship is docked from 11am-6pm.

I got a quote from a tour guide for Trogir and Spilt.

However, I would love to take the boat to Trogir. Heard it is a beautiful ride. Do we have enough time to take the boat to Trogir and have enough time to see Split? Or is a bus/tour guide car the best way?

• 1 year later...

We recently returned from a Celebrity cruise where we toured Split.

Our private tour guides in Split (Frank) was Prompt, Prepared, Personable and very Passionate. Frank added so much to our experience in Croatia. He quickly tuned into our personalities and made our time together a very personal one. We felt more like locals sharing than tourist seeing the sites. He was highly educated and shared the historical as well as the present and what is is like to be a citizen of this region. I would be with him again.

We HIGHLY recommend this tour. Rating is a 5.

Contact info: Private Guides – matej_t@yahoo.com

Stan and Ruth

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from a 14 day on Norweegian Jade which had a 7 hour stop (11 to 6) in Split. We hired Maja Benzon (maja.benzon@gmail.com) after we read her recommendation on Rick Steves tv show (she was his guide). She met us at the "city model" right outside of the port area. We went by van to the beautiful city of Trogir and loved it here. After that, we drove back to Split where we had lunch, and then toured Split and the Diocletian Palace. It was a perfecr day and I would recommend her HIGHLY.

wwb

We booked Maja Benzon (also thanks to Rick Steves) for a 2 hour walking tour of Split. We had spent the morning wandering around by ourselves and weren't really sure what she would add in the afternoon. Well, she was fantastic and she really brought everything to life for us. She found some specific sites for us that we were interested in (like an old synagogue and a Jewish quarter--who knew there was such a thing in Split?!) while covering all of the major bases. We really enjoyed our time with her and felt her fee was reasonable and well-worth it.

Really liked Split & Maja!

• 2 weeks later...

We used private guides split. they were easy to work with and booking with was fast. I wanted a custom tour where we would go to the Krka national park to see the waterfalls and to the town of Trogir with stops for photos and to drink some local beer. Matt, our guide made our tour just as I planned. Everything went great.

Krka park and the waterfalls were as expected and beautiful. Then while driving to Trogir, Matt pulled up to this bar/restaurant where we all sat and had a local beer. We were all pleasantly surprised that a big bottle of local beer was only 2 euro. From there we want to the town of Trogir. Along the way we stopped for photos of the town of Primosten, which is a very picturesque town (would loved to have had more time to explore this place)

All in all, Matt was an excellent guide who knows his country and enjoys showing people all the awesome things there are in Croatia. Croatia is one country I will definitely return to.

• 4 months later...
We used private guides split. they were easy to work with and booking with was fast. I wanted a custom tour where we would go to the Krka national park to see the waterfalls and to the town of Trogir with stops for photos and to drink some local beer. Matt, our guide made our tour just as I planned. Everything went great.

Krka park and the waterfalls were as expected and beautiful. Then while driving to Trogir, Matt pulled up to this bar/restaurant where we all sat and had a local beer. We were all pleasantly surprised that a big bottle of local beer was only 2 euro. From there we want to the town of Trogir. Along the way we stopped for photos of the town of Primosten, which is a very picturesque town (would loved to have had more time to explore this place)

All in all, Matt was an excellent guide who knows his country and enjoys showing people all the awesome things there are in Croatia. Croatia is one country I will definitely return to.

I just noticed your post. I was just wondering how you found Matt. Did you book him before your trip or find him once you got there? Thanks,

I booked 3 busses of 14 for Split with Matej, and subsequently there were others on our cruise who also booked him...retired engineer being one.......

Matt was wonderful to deal with, I also arranged busses for ports of Dubrovnik and Kotor with him.....

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We just returned from a cruise to Croatia. In Split we hired Maja Benzon as our private guide and she could not have been better. Maja is extremely knowledgeable and very fluent in English. While many people think they can visit Split on their own, they will miss out on so much incredible information on the history of the city and the country. To try to understand the Dicoletian Palace without an very knowledge guide would be extremely difficult. You can contact Maja at: maja.benzon@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

I wanted to write a more recent reply regarding a private tour we took of Split. We used Private Guides Team (matej.t.d@gmail.com) Peter was our driver. This was in 2013 however life got in the way and I was not able to write a review at the time. I have always felt badly about this as my family and I are still talking about what a wonderful experience this was.

We were picked up at our cruise ship in Split, and driven to Trojir. Peter was extremely educated, informative, caring and courteous.

We loved Trojir and wish to return.

• 4 weeks later...

We used Peter with Private Guides Croatia, privateguidesteam@gmail.com. The email arrangements for the tour could not have been faster, easier or more professional. We had a fantastic tour. Peter is very knowledgeable and obviously dotes on the history of his country. He is the perfect guide. You can't go wrong with this company.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We had a wonderful tour with Nikolina Rupcic (email ninanapkin@gmail.com). We paid 50 euros for the two of us for the tour. We started the tour in Split and then hopped on the #1 bus to Salona the ancient capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia. She is full of information. I would highly recommend her.

We visited Split several years ago on a driving trip and it would be very easy to do on your own. Another site which may be interesting to you is Trogir, with a picturesque old town on an island 10-15 miles north of Split. We had our own car but I would think you would be able to get there by taxi, certainly by bus.

We did a private tour of Split and Trogir in 2010 and recommend going to Trogir.

If you don't leave Split, you can do Diocletian's Palace on your own.

We used Peter with Private Guides Croatia, privateguidesteam@gmail.com. The email arrangements for the tour could not have been faster, easier or more professional. We had a fantastic tour. Peter is very knowledgeable and obviously dotes on the history of his country. He is the perfect guide. You can't go wrong with this company.

We used Petar too and he was wonderful. Probably our favorite guide of the trip. Highly recommend Trogir. We enjoyed Salona and Klis too, but Trogir was a must see. Right now having lunch in the Diocletian's palace area! Lovely place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums