Warships departing Ft Lauderdale

IRL_Joanie

The US Navy is preparing to depart Port Everglades as I type this post.

Watch on the Webcam here: http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/index.html

Yesterday I overheard the Harbor Master telling one of the Coast Guard ships that they had a 2 hour window in which to depart beginning at 7 am. So since it is now a little after 7 am it is on now:)

Good Bye to all our guys and gals and thank you!!

Joanie

They had one wicked rainy weekend due to a storm coming up from Cuba. It seems to have stalled and they canceled the air show for two days.

Actually it was only cancelled Sunday. It went on as planned (with Thunbderbirds modifying their event) Saturday.

It was awesome watching it on the new PE Webcam:) I got some awesome snapshots of it:)

Joanie

The last Warship, USS Wasp is the last to go. It is sad to see them heading out today with the weather gtting rougher by the moment.

Safe journey Guys and Gals and Thank you for being there for us 24/7 365 (366 this year)!!

Joanie

I was still sleeping when this was going on but DH watch and he said that taking the carrier out was really something to see. They don't have side thrusters like cruise ships so the tugs have to do all the work for them.

Weather at PE looks really nasty.

We just happened to be in New Orleans during the tail-end of their Navy Week. It was kind of nice seeing all of the sailors in New Orleans kicking back and having a good time. Much deserved R&R. When the ships, including 4 tall ships and 8 modern vessels departed, they did it in a very quick and orderly process.

I thought all the warnings handed out by the carrier were interesting too. None of the other ships did that. There must have been at least 6 of them to not approach the vessel in any way unless you wanted to be arrested.

Hugh in Dallas

Archived