"If only I'd brought..."

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:06 AM.
Toronto, Canada
3,605 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by ElizabethR25
So this will be my first cruise (cruising on Carnival Dream) and while we are planning on enjoying the ports, we are trying to vacation on the cheap and do not plan on doing any excursions. I do not want to have to purchase food in the ports so I am thinking about bringing some Ziploc bags to bag up some snacks or sandwiches or something from the buffet and bring ashore with us to hold us over while we are in port. Is this frowned upon? Are there foods available at the buffet that would make good snacks? I always bring some ziplocs with me any time we travel as they always seem to come in handy, and I have done something similar to this when I stay at hotels with continental breakfasts. Thoughts would be appreciated!
Things are pretty relaxed in the islands, but bringing in fruit and meats ashore may be a no no.

Why not have lunch on the ship? Even in tender ports that is fairly easy to do.
North Carolina
369 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Originally posted by ElizabethR25
So this will be my first cruise (cruising on Carnival Dream) and while we are planning on enjoying the ports, we are trying to vacation on the cheap and do not plan on doing any excursions. I do not want to have to purchase food in the ports so I am thinking about bringing some Ziploc bags to bag up some snacks or sandwiches or something from the buffet and bring ashore with us to hold us over while we are in port. Is this frowned upon? Are there foods available at the buffet that would make good snacks? I always bring some ziplocs with me any time we travel as they always seem to come in handy, and I have done something similar to this when I stay at hotels with continental breakfasts. Thoughts would be appreciated!
If you're not going to be going on any excursions, you could always have lunch before you go, and then pop back to the ship quickly for a meal if you get hungry again. You can take a plate of food from the buffet back to your room, and from there you could load up your ziplock bags, but it might not be worth the trouble when you can get a fresh meal in a local restaurant for $5-10.
Oklahoma/Texas
84 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We slide an open piece of luggage under the bed on each side. We bring along several 2 gallon ziploc heavy duty bags. We simply pull out a corner of the luggage and toss in our dirty clothes. After a few days, casually fold dirties and fill a bag. Zip almost shut, sit on the bag and finish closing. Toss in the open piece of luggage under the bed. Repeat every few days depending on the length of the cruise. By the time the cruise is over you are mostly packed!
63 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by KatieBelle
We slide an open piece of luggage under the bed on each side. We bring along several 2 gallon ziploc heavy duty bags. We simply pull out a corner of the luggage and toss in our dirty clothes. After a few days, casually fold dirties and fill a bag. Zip almost shut, sit on the bag and finish closing. Toss in the open piece of luggage under the bed. Repeat every few days depending on the length of the cruise. By the time the cruise is over you are mostly packed!

This is why I only bring disposable clothing when I cruise. That way I can fill my luggage up with all those duty-free souvenirs!