"25 percent off" for canceled cruise question

pavlovsdog00

Now that I've accepted the fact that I'm really, truly not going on the Disney Fantasy September 9th, I have a question regarding the "25 percent off a future sailing" coupon I have received.

Does anyone know if this 25 percent off can be used for Florida Resident (FLO) rates? Or maybe even Guaranteed rates? I have a feeling the answer is probably "no", but I don't have any documentation on it either way.

I originally booked a Florida Resident rate, which means if the 25 percent off is only off of full price cruises, I will still end up paying more for a cruise in Sep-Nov :-(

...any input/info would be appreciated.

Usually the percent off deals are only available off the "normal" prices of the cruises. They have never been available as a reduction off the price of a *GT booking. I have never seen an additional discount off the FLO rates, but am not comfortable stating that it has never happened.

As you noted, for people able to take advantage of special rates, the 25% off may be no discount at all. However, it will give you an unrestricted fare, which for some is a better situation than accepting the restrictions on the *GT fares. And unless DCL has included black out dates in this offer, you can book any cruise you wish at the 25% off deal--you are not restricted to those dates which have FLO or other special offers.

everything that moki's mommy writes is probably true...

but that doesn't mean you can't ask for it when you book...

if you don't ask, you won't get....you still might not get...but you have to ask to find out...

and ask for a supervisor if the person who answers the phone doesn't give you the answer you want to hear....it still might be no, but you'll have it from someone who might actually know..

Also, be sure you understand what 25% means to that cruise line. At least one of the cruise lines treats these 25% discounts as 25% of the value of the cruise that was canceled, rather than 25% of the value of the cruise being booked. Apparently there were too many cases where someone who's $300 3 night cruise was canceled and they used the discount on a $3000 10 night cruise.

Also, be sure you understand what 25% means to that cruise line. At least one of the cruise lines treats these 25% discounts as 25% of the value of the cruise that was canceled, rather than 25% of the value of the cruise being booked. Apparently there were too many cases where someone who's $300 3 night cruise was canceled and they used the discount on a $3000 10 night cruise.

This has not been the experience with DCL. If they are restricting the cruises that you can apply the 25% toward, that is noted at the time of the offer, and it has always been the percentage off the "cruise fare" portion of the ticket on the cruise you book. There is no discount on the taxes, government fees, or "non-commissionable items" included in the cost of the cruise.

Are they giving 25% off or are you receiving 25% credit of current cruise for a future cruise. If receiving credit couldnt you use that on any booking.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The language appears to state that it is 25% off any future booking. The special rates (florida resident, GTY etc), though, state "not to be combined with other discounts". Just not sure if a hardship coupon is classified in the same way as other "discounts".

At least one of the cruise lines treats these 25% discounts as 25% of the value of the cruise that was canceled, rather than 25% of the value of the cruise being booked.
I remember reading this somewhere. It was with regard to Carnival's offers vis a vis the Hurricane Harvey cancellations:

Well my credit was applied, and as I figured, the credit was not 25% off the cruise it was applied to, but 25% of the price I paid for the cruise that got cancelled.

So if they're really given 25% off the cruise you book now, without limits, that's generous compared to what Carnival is offering their passengers.

DCL is a long way from Carnival. I've had % off deals at least 3 times for various reasons. In each case, the correct percentage was deducted from the "cruise fare" portion of the ticket for the new cruise that I was booking. In each case, it was applicable to a regular price cruise only, not to any deal that say "Cannot be combined with any other offer." And yes, it could be applied to a 14 night Panama Canal crossing if desired. No where does DCL's deal say that it is applicable to only another 3 night or 7 night cruise--it says any future cruise. This offer did not list any black out dates, so I'm supposing that there are none.

The only written restrictions I see are the limited booking window on the 25% deal and the "cannot be combined" on some other cruises.

Last October my family was booked on a 3-night Dream cruise that was cancelled due to a storm that closed Port Canaveral. We were able to use our 20% off towards a European cruise in summer 2017. We had already booked the 2017 cruise, but because the price hadn't gone up, our travel agent was able to cancel and rebook in the same stateroom at a fare roughly 20% less than when we originally booked.

We did lose the onboard credit that we'd had for the Dream cruise, but we came out well over $1,000 ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just looked at a November 2018 after thanksgiving sailing as a replacement (limited by school holidays) and it turns out that the discount is going to put me at about the same price after discount as I was on this cruise, so it doesn't help me much. Bummer.

Yeah, I just looked at September-November, and there isn't a single cruise where the 25% off coupon makes the sailing a "deal" (knowing that I originally booked a 7 night cruise with a verandah at a Florida Resident Rate for $4300). With that being said, there are several which would make the sailing at least around the same price. Can't really complain, as there was a pretty steep discount for booking in the heart of hurricane season.

I saw a discussion on social media where a person was upset because they had originally taken advantage of the onboard booking 19% discount and felt that they were now losing out because the 25% was off of the full fair. Not sure I understood their logic, but they got royally reamed by followers of the thread.

I saw a discussion on social media where a person was upset because they had originally taken advantage of the onboard booking 19% discount and felt that they were now losing out because the 25% was off of the full fair. Not sure I understood their logic, but they got royally reamed by followers of the thread.
I can imagine. I suppose some people think that when the capitalize on a discount that the amount of the discount is already "their money" and forever.

We took advantage of several discounts for our upcoming cruise: We put a $500 deposit down and got $100 cashback due to a credit card offer; and paid for much of the rest with gift cards that we purchased for 10% off face value. If our cruise is canceled, the credit card company takes that $100 back from us, and I doubt anyone is going to give us the 10% off from the gift cards either.

• 2 weeks later...
To answer my original question...YES! They allowed an additional 25% off already discounted Florida Resident rates AND Guarantee rates. I ended up getting an amazing deal on an already discounted 7 night Florida resident rate cruise for early November...

I'm so happy that worked out for you!