HAVANA - Scooter Use???

tommui987

Has anyone on this Board used a scooter on the streets of Havana?

If so, what was your experience?

I've used a scooter in Europe and managed it quite well on cobblestones etc but somertimes it was difficult loading it on taxis and almost impossible on buses.

Has anyone on this Board used a scooter on the streets of Havana?

If so, what was your experience?

I've used a scooter in Europe and managed it quite well on cobblestones etc but somertimes it was difficult loading it on taxis and almost impossible on buses.

Hi tommui987, what kind of scooter do you use? I use a Smart Scoot and it's super easy to load into a trunk of a taxi, and collapses well for a bus.

I'm looking forward to taking it to Havana this July, although I know it will literally be a "bumpy" road ahead. ;)

Hi tommui987, what kind of scooter do you use? ;)

I rent one as it is less of a hassle.

But I hope that you will drop a line here or in the "ports" section as to your experience in Cuba with the scooter!

Thanks,

Tom

• 4 months later...
'm looking forward to taking it to Havana this July, although I know it will literally be a "bumpy" road ahead. ;)

Nocalnick,

How did it go for you in Cuba? I have a powerchair and have purchased a rollator as I'm thinking that might be better from what I've read about getting around, but would like to hear your experience if you don't mind please!

Thanks,

Alan

Nocalnick,

How did it go for you in Cuba? I have a powerchair and have purchased a rollator as I'm thinking that might be better from what I've read about getting around, but would like to hear your experience if you don't mind please!

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan, Cuba wasn't too bad. Upon leaving the terminal to the sidewalk, there's no ramp and it's a step down (about 5"). Once you're on the sidewalk, if you head to the left, there is a ramp, but that's pretty much it. 90% of the time, the sidewalks had no slopes. Getting to the San Jose Artisan Market (1/2 mile to the left of the terminal) I had to ride on the street, a portion of the street was sectioned off without any cars so it was safe. In front of the terminal was the Old Towne Market which was all cobblestone which made for a slow and bumpy ride, but definitely worth the look. Otherwise, we took a classic car tour to see the rest of the sights. Each stop was easy to navigate by scooter, or rollator. If you are able to walk quite a bit with a rollator (without balance/tripping issues) I'd say go for it! :)

Hi Alan, Cuba wasn't too bad. Upon leaving the terminal to the sidewalk, there's no ramp and it's a step down (about 5"). Once you're on the sidewalk, if you head to the left, there is a ramp, but that's pretty much it. 90% of the time, the sidewalks had no slopes. Getting to the San Jose Artisan Market (1/2 mile to the left of the terminal) I had to ride on the street, a portion of the street was sectioned off without any cars so it was safe. In front of the terminal was the Old Towne Market which was all cobblestone which made for a slow and bumpy ride, but definitely worth the look. Otherwise, we took a classic car tour to see the rest of the sights. Each stop was easy to navigate by scooter, or rollator. If you are able to walk quite a bit with a rollator (without balance/tripping issues) I'd say go for it! :)

Thank you! I actually was wondering about getting down to the San Jose Artisan Market. We are planning to do the Hemingway Tour the first day and had thought about the HOHO bus for the second day.

Thank you again!

Thank you! I actually was wondering about getting down to the San Jose Artisan Market. We are planning to do the Hemingway Tour the first day and had thought about the HOHO bus for the second day.

Thank you again!

You're very welcome! Oh yes, the HoHo bus...we did that the second day too. The pick up/stop was just to the left of the terminal, but for some reason, the drop off was across the street, of course there was no slope at the crosswalk! Enjoy your time in Havana and cheers to a wonderful cruise!