Please, please don't use last names

GeorgesGal

I know it's posted in the Guidelines, but PLEASE do not use your last name in your posts or signature IF YOU ARE USING YOUR CITY AND STATE in the header of your posts! In the event there are bad actors out there perusing this site, you could possibly come home and find your place stripped clean. :eek:

Donna

I know it's posted in the Guidelines' date=' but PLEASE do not use your last name in your posts or signature IF YOU ARE USING YOUR CITY AND STATE in the header of your posts! In the event there are bad actors out there perusing this site, you could possibly come home and find your place stripped clean. :eek:

Donna[/quote']

Very good advise. :):):)

I know it's posted in the Guidelines' date=' but PLEASE do not use your last name in your posts or signature IF YOU ARE USING YOUR CITY AND STATE in the header of your posts! In the event there are bad actors out there perusing this site, you could possibly come home and find your place stripped clean. :eek:

Donna[/quote']

are you speaking from experience ???

I know that many people are averse to having private information posted -- although some don't have a problem with posting their cabin number on a certain cruise.

But when I'm setting up a M&G I ask people to send me information to me by email, NOT to CC. I do need their names and hometowns, but I never publish it here.

I know that many people are averse to having private information posted -- although some don't have a problem with posting their cabin number on a certain cruise.

But when I'm setting up a M&G I ask people to send me information to me by email, NOT to CC. I do need their names and hometowns, but I never publish it here.

DITTO

Never put private info in the Roll Call online

You have to use common sense here. Like people leaving a message on their home phone, "well be gone for two weeks so I can't call you back". It's easy to get a check on phone numbers, then address of that number. Common Sense.

Just to add to the confidentiality of using any personal identifier on the web today.

The biggest issue today is that of Facebook. People use their real names, etc and broadcast to the world that they are on vacation. Talk about advertising that you are away!

Using names on this board is nothing compared to Facebook. Law enforcement use it to catch criminals and criminals use it to find us.

Welcome to the 21st cyber century!

are you speaking from experience ???

Fortunately, I'm not. Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid in this respect! To tell the truth, when I am going on vacation, whether for a few days or for more than a month, I always, always let my neighbors know when to expect me home, and to call our local Sheriff's office if they should see a moving van pulling up to the door! :eek::eek:

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but never got around to it. Glad I finally did yesterday.

And I agree with all of you about having roll call members e-mail me (at a separate e-mail address than my usual one - I call it my vacation e-mail) when setting up any kind of meeting or sharing excursions. Can never be too cautious I think!

Donna

Fortunately' date=' I'm not. Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid in this respect! To tell the truth, when I am going on vacation, whether for a few days or for more than a month, I always, always let my neighbors know when to expect me home, and to call our local Sheriff's office if they should see a moving van pulling up to the door! :eek::eek:

[/quote']

That is good to know that you were not a victim

We have an alarm system plus someone checks on the house every 2-3 days & we tell the neighbours we are away but they work all day so not much use if the moving van shows up ;)

I remember a few years back that another cruise line had some reservation reps that would let certain people know when passengers were away

Then the house would be broken into ..this was in Florida :eek:

Guess it was a good way to make some extra $$ until they got caught

My daughter can look at her cell phone and tell what is going on in her house..it is amazing..we were at her other house in Palm Springs and told her how comfortable the temperature was and she laughed and said of course it was she adjusted the air conditioning on her cell phone..

What a world we we live in..Fabulous..

Jancruz1

My daughter can look at her cell phone and tell what is going on in her house..it is amazing..we were at her other house in Palm Springs and told her how comfortable the temperature was and she laughed and said of course it was she adjusted the air conditioning on her cell phone..

Jancruz1

We can view the inside of our house, turn lights on or off, adjust temperature and will be alerted when the temperature falls too low or too high. Also, we have a security system that will sound off if any one enters and doesn't know the security code.

BUT, Police rate security system alarms at the bottom of 911 calls.

Don't worry, be Happy! That's why we all have insurance. It can all be replaced.

Never put private info in the Roll Call online

I totally agree with you! But last year, on a HUGE roll call, the "leader" pressured everyone to give their names, hometowns and cabin numbers in order to be listed on the roll call.

And on Princess, they put everyone's names next to the cabin door. I don't think that's smart so I take it off. Not sure why they do it.

I totally agree with you! But last year, on a HUGE roll call, the "leader" pressured everyone to give their names, hometowns and cabin numbers in order to be listed on the roll call.

That is just wrong

I would decline joining then

I have done several roll calls some with over 100 people

I only post first names & Province/State online the rest is on a private list on a flash drive

Jancruz1

For $200 anyone can get an Arlo System on Amazon that provides a camera feed and recording to the cloud. Gives you a text alert when anyone triggers the motion sensor. Had it installed at our previous residence after we moved and house was empty -- could keep track of the showings and anyone else just looking to cause mischief.

Why would you need to know hometown?? I've attended many M&G's and never been asked for hometown, just for state or country.

Be careful with those online cameras (internet windows into your home ) and keep security and settings up-to-date. 2006 story of head of FBI and Fbook founder blocking their laptop's or phone's camera and mic with tape made me think of my camera.

I did not know the Alro product so looked them up as I was am interested in such a thing to see what our new pup was up to when we're not home. A July 2027 page titled "Arlo WiFi Default Password Security Vulnerability" https://kb.netgear.com/30731/Arlo-WiFi-Default-Password-Security-Vulnerability

is a good example. By applying a firmware update *might* also reset to default password so leaving it more vulnerable.

To keep an eye on an empty house not such an issue.

As I type this on this tablet I'm looking at the camera wondering if I am being spied upon right now. How sad for the lurker. I'm not exactly internet material though I think I'll go fix my hair a bit just in case :)

Why would you need to know hometown?? I've attended many M&G's and never been asked for hometown, just for state or country.

It's only for the name tags I prepare for the event! I like to put that info on the name tags as well as names. Originally I would put on the cabin number but it seemed most people didn't want that so I switched to home town. (I don't use blank tags that people fill in as they enter -- I prepare them in advance on my computer.)

If you don't want your home town on a name tag, that's fine. Just let me know. I suppose I could switch to state or country, but the home town has always worked before.

I'm flexible ...

Don't worry, be Happy! That's why we all have insurance. It can all be replaced.

I'm sure you didn't mean to discount the experience of those of us who have, actually, lost everything but I have to take issue with your comment. I was the victim of an armed home invasion and, a number of years later, lost everything in a fire. Insurance does not replace it all. It does not replace photographs, family heirlooms and traditions, memories, or one's sense of security in one's own home. While losing everything can help us to recognize and prioritize the importance of objects in our lives, it can still be a painful experience that is trivialized by saying "Don't worry, be happy!"

I'm sure you didn't mean to discount the experience of those of us who have, actually, lost everything but I have to take issue with your comment. I was the victim of an armed home invasion and, a number of years later, lost everything in a fire. Insurance does not replace it all. It does not replace photographs, family heirlooms and traditions, memories, or one's sense of security in one's own home. While losing everything can help us to recognize and prioritize the importance of objects in our lives, it can still be a painful experience that is trivialized by saying "Don't worry, be happy!"

Totally agree. We were robbed while our son was sleeping in the house. Mainly my jewelry, most of which was my mother's. Gold watches, chains, pearls, plus much more. And it wasn't in a jewelry box..... they put it all in my husbands suitcase and a new carry on which had not been put away. We are still looking for things and realizing it's missing. To say nothing of the stress when you wake in the night only to wonder why- is someone in your home?

Not insured, as riders end up costing more than the jewelry after a short time. No insurance claim, as they will just use as an excuse to cancel you policy at renewal. And the coverage in our top tier plan was but a fraction of the cost so not worthwhile. We need the insurance for the "big one".

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's even worse is when people say 90 days until Oasis on Facebook. Now burglars have 3 months to plan. And it's easy to see exactly who you are on FB

That's why I hate roll call threads on FB. Even on some cruise line-specific FB groups people post their plans (I actually got booted from a group for reasons stemming from my not posting that I was going to be on a specific cruise and then taking their stupid mascot and taking pictures with it). I never post my vacation details on FB. I asked a question about it once on a group. Some people said "we live in a gated community so it's not an issue" or "my kids will be home so the house won't be empty".

. Some people said "we live in a gated community so it's not an issue" or "my kids will be home so the house won't be empty".

How very short sighted. I'm in a gated community also and wouldn't think of putting all of my information online. And that's with security guards roaming the property every night in the vehicles

How very short sighted. I'm in a gated community also and wouldn't think of putting all of my information online. And that's with security guards roaming the property every night in the vehicles

Interesting' date=' so the erstwhile thieves would have to get past your gatekeeper twice (in AND out) as well as ransack your house without alerting either neighbors or security guards.......

[img']http://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/90/70/1324660036-7aaee9e31f5d25632ec0c1875e9b95cd.jpg[/img]

this is a very interesting thread - I've been on CC for a number of years and love it! Not only have we met a lot of really nice people but had the opportunity to do some shore excursions that I wouldn't even have known about if it weren't for CC. BUT I will never post on FB all the details I've what we did that day a million miles from home!! Never quite understood those who post all the daily doings on social media sites. There are way too many people who would love to take what you've worked hard for and you just told them you aren't home. I've even got upset when someone decides to post to these sites and includes me in it. You can tell all your friends about your trip when you get home not when you are halfway around the world.