After dinner clothes

MM051510

My DH and I are going on our first cruise in 14 days!! (Eeek!) I'm curious to know what everyone does after dinner (casual and formal nights). Do you stay in your dress all night until you retire to your room? Do you wear your dress for dinner then change into something comfortable? Do you wear your dress then change into another cute outfit?

I plan on living in gym shorts/tshirts during the day. Do I need to pack more "cutsie" outfits for the evenings??

It will vary from person to person. Also, if you have earlier seating, and you wear high heeled shoes you aren't used to wearing, you may feel more inclined to change.

I tend to change, because we will often go out on deck. Sometimes we sit on the lounge chairs out there, sometimes we do not. I don't want to get my dresses dirty, but I especially don't want to have to hold them down with the wind.

I stay in my outfit after dinner. My husband does most of the time. Sometimes on formal night he will change out of his tux, into dress pants and a dress shirt.

Edited by geocruiser

I love to dress up! So I wear a dress to dinner every night & sometimes I'll stay in it but other times I I change into something more relaxed but still cute for the dance club/comedy lounge ... Interesting though I was curious myself as to what others did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The DH and I always choose late seating for dinner in the MDR so we tend to stay in whatever we wore to dinner. However, I will sometimes go to our cabin and change out of my heels and put on a jacket if we're planning to walk or sit out on the deck.

I usually plan for two outfits a day. When in port, I'll wear whatever I need to depending on what our excursion is and then I'll have an outfit to wear to dinner. On Sea Days, I'll wear something comfy all day and then change into something nice for dinner.

Hope you have an amazing cruise!:D

On Cunard, whatever the dress code is for dinner is the dress code pretty much throughout the ship for the whole evening. So if it's formal, you stay in those formal clothes until retiring to your cabin. It really does make for a very elegant overall experience, for those who like such things. If you don't want to get dressed formally on formal nights, you can eat in the buffet and there is one lounge/bar area where you can go. Even "informal" nights are petty dressy by some standards, i.e. jackets needed for men (ties optional), and nice dresses or "smart" pants for women. Same type of evening rules apply, so you'll never see people changing out of their outfits after dinner and into jeans, shorts or work-out type clothing.

But it's an interesting point about the pitfalls of sitting out on deck in one's "good" clothing. Hmmm... We're going on a Queen Mary 2 westbound transatlantic crossing in October so I'll have to check out what the evening deck chair situation might be (but October may be too cool in the north Atlantic for evening deck chair sitting). We did a prior eastbound QM crossing in early June, and I recall it being pretty nippy outside in the evening--and very windy.

Unless I've spilled dinner on myself.

Funny Above! :D This can happen or someone could spill red wine on you.

The last thing we want of do is get dressed again.

The exception was when we were watching a Football Game after dinner and needed to get into our team's logo shirts. :)

LuLu

The only times I've changed after dinner is if I'm going to be outside, like for the movie under the stars or to watch a football game. But I tend to dress pretty comfortable. A dress and some sort of strappy sandals or ballet flats. Maybe if I wore heels then I'd want to ditch those after dinner.