Snacks for the Beach

We are going on our 1st cruise in less than a week. I was wondering if any of the frugal folks here pack up food to bring to the beach. Like deli sandwiches or something.

I plan on having the kids eat before we go, but you know how kids are with the "I'm hungry" especially when they are swimming.

I would prefer NOT to pay $19 for a burger while we are in port.

Any suggestions on the types of portable snacks we would find on board or from room service would be great. I am planning on bringing bottled water/soda with us on the cruise to pack in a little soft cooler to take to the beach too.

We are on the Carnival Sunshine.

Thanks!

Andrea

You cannot bring food off the ship unless it is factory pre packaged foods, such as protein bars, trail mix/nuts, etc. I'm sure you can bring the mini boxes of cereal found in the buffet. Bottled waters and such are fine. Fruits and veggies are no nos, as would be sandwiches. I really do recommend bringing some type of snack at least. Food can be pricey depending on where you are, or trying to figure out where to eat.

You cannot bring food off the ship unless it is factory pre packaged foods, such as protein bars, trail mix/nuts, etc. I'm sure you can bring the mini boxes of cereal found in the buffet. Bottled waters and such are fine. Fruits and veggies are no nos, as would be sandwiches. I really do recommend bringing some type of snack at least. Food can be pricey depending on where you are, or trying to figure out where to eat.

Thanks! I may just pack some granola bars, chips and other pre-packaged stuff. In Nassau the port I am concerned about, we don't get there until 12pm, so they can have an early lunch on the ship and with some snacks they should be able to make it until dinner.

I have read that the penalties/fines are high in some ports if you are caught bringing food off the ship that isn't pre-packaged. You'd be wise to bring granola bars, peanut butter crackers, etc that you've brought from home. :)

Thanks! I may just pack some granola bars, chips and other pre-packaged stuff. In Nassau the port I am concerned about, we don't get there until 12pm, so they can have an early lunch on the ship and with some snacks they should be able to make it until dinner.

I don't know if your into conch fritters or not, but there is a stand in Nassau. It's in the building that you must walk thru to get out to the city. It's called Linda's Place. Last I was there it was right before you exit the building. $3 for 6 pieces of fritters. She has other stuff too. Outside in the town fritters are more like $8-11. Great place to try it if you've never had it!

P1050814.jpg.17317147e45fe8dc54f3e3f3ba5b0c54.jpg

P1050815.jpg.93f1a8da23d4d0eb7eff60dd93741f30.jpg

P1050816.jpg.ac830926d0d580765e3344cdb45d30e5.jpg

I don't know if your into conch fritters or not, but there is a stand in Nassau. It's in the building that you must walk thru to get out to the city. It's called Linda's Place. Last I was there it was right before you exit the building. $3 for 6 pieces of fritters. She has other stuff too. Outside in the town fritters are more like $8-11. Great place to try it if you've never had it!

Thanks! I will look for it when we get there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another good tip when traveling with kids: Bring a few quart sized ziploc baggies. Use them to bring back shells they pick up on the beach. AND bring a couple of inexpensive wash cloths or rags from home - wet them and put them in a baggie for quick clean-ups while in port.

Edited by SLR+

Here's another good tip when traveling with kids: Bring a few quart sized ziploc baggies. Use them to bring back shells they pick up on the beach. AND bring a couple of inexpensive wash cloths or rags from home - wet them and put them in a baggie for quick clean-ups while in port.

i didn't think you were allowed to bring back shells from the beach?

can someone verify?

thanks

michael