Last report on missing passengers

Do not know if this has been posted or not.

July 27, 2012 Update: ABC Radio reports that the cruise passengers apparently left the ship with their belongings and the Jamaican police found them safe and sound in a villa on the northern coast of Jamaica. Here is the ABC account:

Three Americans who failed to return to their Carnival Cruise ship after a stopover in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Thursday, were found safe and unharmed this afternoon at a villa in Discovery Bay -- approximately 40 minutes west, on Jamaica's northern coast.

The three passengers, whom the cruise line earlier identified as members of the same family, went missing after disembarking the Carnival Freedom for a day-long port call in Ocho Rios, the cruise line said in a statement obtained by ABC News.

Jamaican authorities had classified the disappearance as a missing persons case, saying it was odd that the family took all of their belongings off of the ship before vanishing. The family has no known ties to anyone in Jamaica.

It was not immediately clear why the family left the ship and never returned. They are in the custody of Jamaican police and will be questioned about their mysterious departure. Police have not yet said whether charges will be brought against the three passengers.

July 27, 2012 Update: ABC Radio reports that the cruise passengers apparently left the ship with their belongings and the Jamaican police found them safe and sound in a villa on the northern coast of Jamaica. Here is the ABC account:

Three Americans who failed to return to their Carnival Cruise ship after a stopover in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Thursday, were found safe and unharmed this afternoon at a villa in Discovery Bay -- approximately 40 minutes west, on Jamaica's northern coast.

The three passengers, whom the cruise line earlier identified as members of the same family, went missing after disembarking the Carnival Freedom for a day-long port call in Ocho Rios, the cruise line said in a statement obtained by ABC News.

Jamaican authorities had classified the disappearance as a missing persons case, saying it was odd that the family took all of their belongings off of the ship before vanishing. The family has no known ties to anyone in Jamaica.

It was not immediately clear why the family left the ship and never returned. They are in the custody of Jamaican police and will be questioned about their mysterious departure. Police have not yet said whether charges will be brought against the three passengers.

Yes, it's on a couple other threads. Wondering if there will be any consequences for them...

thanks op for the update i hadnt read that yet.. i dont follow every single post in every single thread so this was news to me..

what charges could be brough aganist the family? entering the country illegally maybe?

thanks op for the update i hadnt read that yet.. i dont follow every single post in every single thread so this was news to me..

what charges could be brough aganist the family? entering the country illegally maybe?

Exactly--they didn't go through Customs. Last I read, the Jamaican authorities were considering pressing charges.

Maybe it was cheaper to cruise there than flying there.:eek:

But it will defiantly change how security looks at people leaving the ship in a port

i dont know any of the particulars of this event, but you would think someone from the ship would've noticed passengers leaving the ship with all their stuff before the cruise ended?

If our family ever tried to depart the ship in port with all our belongings, everyone would notice! It would look like the Beverly Hill Billies go cruising--- we bring soooo much stuff!!

Maybe it was cheaper to cruise there than flying there.:eek:

But it will defiantly change how security looks at people leaving the ship in a port

1. If this is so, I wonder how exactly they were planning to return to the US.

2. I think Jamaica will press charges to mKe an example of them for anybody else that tries something stupid like this

This has been posted on at least 2 other threads.

Ive never understood why exactly that matters? Could you explain? Is the Internet running out of space that a update news story cant make a new thread? I hadnt read the other 2 threads so i enjoy this one..

cash fits in small backpacks, if they were leaving the country cash is all id take

there may be something to that.. Wouldnt be suprised to hear the family is running from something that happened in the usa rather be a recent crime or maybe they witnessed a crime..

there may be something to that.. Wouldnt be suprised to hear the family is running from something that happened in the usa rather be a recent crime or maybe they witnessed a crime..

I guess they didnt do such a good hiding job then. Will be interesting to hear the rest of the story

Thank you for saying this. I do not read every single post either, and wanted to pass this along to anyone who had not seen it...I guess some folks just want it exactly their way , or it upsets them. Like the country song says, God is great , beer is good , and people are crazy..Again , thank you for your nice comment.:)

Ive never understood why exactly that matters? Could you explain? Is the Internet running out of space that a update news story cant make a new thread? I hadnt read the other 2 threads so i enjoy this one..

I wonder which day of the cruise this was. If it were towards the end they may have decided (or pre-planned) to extend their vacation in Jamaica and fly home on their own.

Since they didn't disembark the ship illegally, they may have no idea that they did not enter the country correctly. Some people are not world travelers.

Thank you for saying this. I do not read every single post either, and wanted to pass this along to anyone who had not seen it...I guess some folks just want it exactly their way , or it upsets them. Like the country song says, God is great , beer is good , and people are crazy..Again , thank you for your nice comment.:)

OP, I think people may just be responding to the first line of your original post and not necessarily meaning to be snarky. At least I wasn't. :o

Since they didn't disembark the ship illegally, they may have no idea that they did not enter the country correctly. Some people are not world travelers.

They may not have disembarked the ship illegally but they didn't enter the country legally.

And if you think they will go easy on them due to ignorance, think again. When you are in a foreign country, you need to know and follow their laws.

Archived