Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Arrow Princess Cruises Alcohol Policy

Check out this brand-new feature article from Cruise Critic:

Princess Cruises Alcohol Policy

Old October 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default General information re. alcohol in staterooms

FYI,
We took a Mediteranean cruise with Princess in spring 2009. We were advised by Princess staff that no alcohol is allowed to be brought on board and consumed in staterooms unless purchased on the ship. This turned out to be false! My husband and I purchased (along with several other people) 4 bottles of wine on a wine tour in Italy and brought them back on board with us. They allowed it - no problem!

Old October 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No Problem!

Yes, we always bring wine and beer aboard with us at the beginning of the trip and just grab glasses at the bars to pour it in. Never a problem

Old October 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Surfer View Post
FYI,
We took a Mediteranean cruise with Princess in spring 2009. We were advised by Princess staff that no alcohol is allowed to be brought on board and consumed in staterooms unless purchased on the ship. This turned out to be false! My husband and I purchased (along with several other people) 4 bottles of wine on a wine tour in Italy and brought them back on board with us. They allowed it - no problem!
If the wine tour was a "Princess Tour" it maybe different.........but I think you just got lucky.

24 Princess, 2 Carnival, 1 RCL, 1 Celebrity

Last edited by westham; October 25th, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Old October 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Princess wine policy for 15 day xmas cruise

As a large family group, we are doing the 15 day xmas cruise on a Princess ship out of FLL. We plan on bringing on board several bottles of wine for dinners etc. We are willing to pay the corkage fee per bottle. Should we carry these on or can we package them securely with bubble-pack etc and include in luggage because we will have a large quanity for our group and I don't really enjoy pushing cases of wine thru the checkin lineups? Additionaly, last year our waiters charged us the same corkage fee for the 750 ml size bottle as for the 1.5 litre bottle of wine! Is the corkage fee per bottle, regardless of its size(within reason)? Thanks in advance.

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned from LA-Hawaii return on the Golden Princess. We purchased 3 bottles of wine and carried in our carry-on luggage on embarkation. I believe this is more of an issue, when the ship is visiting duty-free ports. In those ports, hard liquor is held until the end of the trip, but they still allowed wine & beer to be brought on board. I hope Princess does not take on the same policy as NCL.

Old November 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not sure if this is going to be right...i am a "no tech" computer person!!! i love animals and have had them all my life as friends...have 1 grouchy old cat whom i love dearly and 2 pit bulls whom i also love dearly....my buddies....

Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Okay, so back to the original topic! We boarded the Island Princess on Saturday, 10/31. Nobody checked anything, and all the wine we carried on was not an issue at all.

Cheers!

Next: Emerald Princess Caribbean 2015

2013 Crown Princess, Trans-Atlantic, Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale
2010 Ruby Princess, Mediterranean, Venice to Barcelona
2009 Island Princess, Panama Canal
2008 Viking River Cruise/Land Tour, Shanghai to Beijing
2007 Coral Princess, Alaska Land Tour & Southbound Cruise
2006 Costa Magica, Trans-Atlantic, Genoa to Ft. Lauderdale
1988 Some Small Ship, Caribbean
1987 Carla Costa, Caribbean

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrigic View Post
Not sure if this is going to be right...i am a "no tech" computer person!!! i love animals and have had them all my life as friends...have 1 grouchy old cat whom i love dearly and 2 pit bulls whom i also love dearly....my buddies....
What?

[size="1"]
6/80 Festivale
1/05 Legend,
4/05 Inspiration,
4/06 Fantasy
1/07 Caribbean Princess -East
9/07 FASCINATION - KeyWest
2/27/08 Miracle--CC Group Leader
7/05/08 NCL Majesty- Bermuda

1/10/09-Ruby Princess -W.Caribbean,
5/17/09 Pride-Bahamas,1/21/10
Destiny-
B2B -

1/25/10 Destiny,
7/11/10 Valor - W. Caribbean
1/25/11 NCL Sun-Bahamas -
B2B-
1/29/11 Dream
9/10/11Dream
2/06/12 RCCL Enchantment
6/02/12
RCCL Oasis,
09/24/12 Ecstasy
Cruise #20-
01/12/13 RCCL Oasis,

07/12/
2013 RCCL Grandeur-Bermuda
01/09/14 Sensation B2B
01/12/2014RCCL Freedom OTS

05/04
/2014 Pride

Sensation B2B 9/18 and 9/21 Kansas concert
02/07/2015 Caribbean Princess

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been cruising with Princess for a number of years and have brought on wine in our carry on and have even brought back a few 6 packs of beer from different ports we have been in.
Cheers!

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

The article does say that it is OK to bring wine onboard. It even says its okay on Princesses website as well. It seems they are only concerned about hard liquor. So I don't think anyone would face any issues with just wine, if they do, then simply quote the website, or bring a copy to show them.

Prior Sailings: 12/99 Crystal Harmony

Old November 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just what I was looking for but.....

the policy says one bottle per person, does security make a big deal about it if they find more than one bottle?

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not entirely accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Surfer View Post
FYI,

This statement is somewhat accurate, the devil is in the details. You are allowed to bring two bottles of wine or champagne that can be consumed in the dinning room with dinner. However, if you purchase any Spirits, cordials, other alcohols, they are put on a cart as you enter the ship and returned to you with your luggage on the pier.

I didn't find the alcohol to purchase for your stateroom to be exhorbatant, it was $22 for a 375 ML bottle or Gin and about the same for vodka (name brands) it was the mixers that were expensive, $11.75 for 6.

This policy is clearly mentioned in the cruise planner booklet, as one of the terms of passenger contract.

Last edited by eddienca; December 10th, 2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something and to correct a spelling error

Old December 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Read your contract of passage

Your cruise contract stipulates no liquor, but beer and wine are allowed on board with NO limitation as to quanity or that it must be consumed in the DR. The CC post is in error by stipulating only 2 bottles of wine. Princess may prefer that, but their legal contract with passengers is silent as to quantity.