Best Bar on Grand Anse Beach?

CaribbeanBound

When on St. Martin, Orient Beach has a number of great bars and everyone has a favorite (ours was Beach Pirate). They all offer you a package deal that includes 2 padded chairs, umbrella, drink and restroom access.

Is Grand Anse like this too? And if so, which is your favorite bar to sit in front of and why?

There ar lots of vendors that sell drinks and chairs on Grand Anse but if you want a beach bar the locals go to that has great food at reasonable prices, good drinks and is fun try Umbrellas. About 20min walk south along beach from watr taxi dock - or get a bus (if you have a group) and go right there. Note it is shut on Mondays- like most other places in Grenada

• 4 months later...

I am looking at going to Grand Anse Beach in December 2014. I will take a water taxi or bus or a taxi to this area. I understand Umbrella is about a 20 minute walk down the beach. Is there another place before Umbrellas that we could go to??? I might not make it that far once we start to walk down the beach. Can you swim here? Is there a place to snorkel in this area???

Thanks for all of your help,

Relax and enjoy life.

I am looking at going to Grand Anse Beach in December 2014. I will take a water taxi or bus or a taxi to this area. I understand Umbrella is about a 20 minute walk down the beach. Is there another place before Umbrellas that we could go to??? I might not make it that far once we start to walk down the beach. Can you swim here? Is there a place to snorkel in this area???

Thanks for all of your help,

Relax and enjoy life.

YOu can swill along Grnad Anse Beach but the quality of sand varies :) My personal preference is actually in front of the Coyaba Hotel which is next to Umbrellas. If you don't want to walk then definitely get a land taxi and it will take you right there. Have a fab day :D

We were going to go to umbrellas, but when we got off the water taxi we started walking a little way and we stopped because it looked like a good place and we only had about 2 hours to enjoy... So we just went a little bit down the beach and it was good.

Perfect for just a couple of hours.

It's much more rustic than orient beach... But the water and sand were beautiful.

The water taxi workers and boats are a bit rough too

We were going to go to umbrellas, but when we got off the water taxi we started walking a little way and we stopped because it looked like a good place and we only had about 2 hours to enjoy... So we just went a little bit down the beach and it was good.

Perfect for just a couple of hours.

It's much more rustic than orient beach... But the water and sand were beautiful.

The water taxi workers and boats are a bit rough too

• 1 month later...

Umbrellas is a great bar with awesome food, and it's really inexpensive.

On our second trip we hoped to take it easy on Grand Anse Beach, a non-snorkeling 2-mile crescent stretch of sand not too far from the ship. Most folks take a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach for about $6 per person each way. The water taxi is about 1/2-block to the left of the ship (as you face the island).

We opted to take a local bus ($1 US). The bus depot can also been seen from the ship. Just look for the 2-deck parking garage with a hundred mini-vans another half block from the water taxi dock. It's easy to catch a water taxi or bus in either direction to and from the cruise pier.

If you take the bus, you want the Zone #1 bus to Grand Anse (and back to St. George). It's clearly written on the windshield. The bus holds about 14 passengers and the driver (working with a conductor) will work to keep it as full as possible throughout the trip. You will not save time taking the bus. You take it because you want to get a better flavor of the island and it's residents.

If you arrive by bus, get off at the Spiceland Mall, cross the street and walk 1 block down a driveway where you'll find yourself at a great beach bar and grill called Umbrellas. It's an airy, clean, comfortable restaurant with great food. Don't panic when you read the menu. The prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars and $1 USD = $2.70 ECD. We enjoyed their grilled barracuda (two thick nicely grilled mild flaky white filets) with a side of "rocket and potato salad". Rocket is a non-bitter local leafy vegetable. Lunch was awesome. We also ordered a locally bottled ginger ale and a bottle of their local Carib Lager. There was plenty of food for two to share. With tip, the total was $58 ECD (about $22 USD). Upon exiting Umbrellas, you'll find yourself on the less crowded section of the beach (3/4 down the beach from the water taxi dock). When your beach day is done, reserve your steps and take either the bus or water taxi back to the ship.

If you take the water taxi, upon arrival you'll get swamped with offers for chairs and umbrellas (among other things). I suggest you walk away from the dock, past the spice market, and settle in an area away from the heavier crowds. (If you're looking for Umbrella's, walk to your right when you get off the water taxi).

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports. With photos!

• 7 months later...
There ar lots of vendors that sell drinks and chairs on Grand Anse but if you want a beach bar the locals go to that has great food at reasonable prices, good drinks and is fun try Umbrellas. About 20min walk south along beach from watr taxi dock - or get a bus (if you have a group) and go right there. Note it is shut on Mondays- like most other places in Grenada

Thanks for the recommendation IslandStar. We're doing an island tour with JNJ Tours which includes some time at Grand Anse Beach. Think it will be a problem to have him drop us off at Umbrellas? Are there chair rentals there?

There shouldn't be a problem with getting him to drop you but you need to make sure you arrange either with him or another your route back to the ship.

There used to be a guy with chairs right in front of Umbrellas but has since been moved on as had a tendency to attract a little group of locals that had unsavoury language and smoking habits. :o

There shouldn't be a problem with getting him to drop you but you need to make sure you arrange either with him or another your route back to the ship.

There used to be a guy with chairs right in front of Umbrellas but has since been moved on as had a tendency to attract a little group of locals that had unsavoury language and smoking habits. :o

Stan (of JNJ Tours) is returning us to the ship after our beach time. I'll check with him about Umbrellas. Thanks again for your advice. :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the recommendation IslandStar. We're doing an island tour with JNJ Tours which includes some time at Grand Anse Beach. Think it will be a problem to have him drop us off at Umbrellas? Are there chair rentals there?

QUOTE=southernbreezes;44411224]We were at Umbrellas Beach Bar in April 2015 :mad: - I read good reviews and we are not very picky but found the following.......... No chairs to use on the beach (they do not have any) service to say poor is a understatement, they were not very busy and waited for ever to get waited on and then it took a hour or longer to get our food, the food was fair at best. I would never waste my time going here even if the food and drinks were free. The beach area here is not that nice so I have no idea why anyone would bother stopping here. Plus there is a ugly parking lot between the bar and the beach. We did find a beautful area about half way between here and where the water taxi drops people off. We took a cab from the ship to the beach and back. Loved the beach just will not go to Umbrellas again, please trust me.

Sorry that SouthernBreezes had a bad experience there but I never had so its obviously going to be down to your personal preference of what you want.

If you want beach loungers this may not be the place for you. If you want a bar right next to the water then Coconuts next to the water taxi dock will be for you (10 steps and you are in the water). If you want something in between then you'll need to walk the beach and check out Lazy Days.

If you want more info on Umbrellas check their facebook page and TripAdvisor and make up your own mind :)

I hope wherever you choose you have a good day.

• 3 months later...

We really liked Umbrellas. They had good food and good drinks at very reasonable prices. The service was prompt and friendly. After having lunch we walked a few steps to beach, threw our towels down and grabbed some sun. Grand Anse is a very pretty beach and we really enjoyed our time there.

The beach in front of Umbrellas was not too crowded either, unlike the area near the water taxi drop off.

Umbrellas does not have their own chairs, but there is someone that came by and we got 2 chairs from him and put them right under the tree in front of Umbrellas on the beach. I think I gave the gentleman 10$ for 2 chairs that he brought to us and took away when we were done. We had an excellent and enjoyable meal on the top deck of the restaurant with an excellent view.

Here was 'Our' tree...

ry%3D400

And 'our' beach in front of Umbrellas:

ry%3D400

View from the top deck:

ry%3D400

And, Our lunch of many plates..

ry%3D400

Picture of the top deck where we sat to eat:

ry%3D400

Umbrellas does not have their own chairs, but there is someone that came by and we got 2 chairs from him and put them right under the tree in front of Umbrellas on the beach. I think I gave the gentleman 10$ for 2 chairs that he brought to us and took away when we were done. We had an excellent and enjoyable meal on the top deck of the restaurant with an excellent view.

Here was 'Our' tree...

ry%3D400

And 'our' beach in front of Umbrellas:

ry%3D400

View from the top deck:

ry%3D400

And, Our lunch of many plates..

ry%3D400

Picture of the top deck where we sat to eat:

ry%3D400

Love your pictures. We walked almost the entire beach from end to end-- Umbrella's location was our favorite spot.

• 9 months later...
Sorry that SouthernBreezes had a bad experience there but I never had so its obviously going to be down to your personal preference of what you want.

If you want beach loungers this may not be the place for you. If you want a bar right next to the water then Coconuts next to the water taxi dock will be for you (10 steps and you are in the water). If you want something in between then you'll need to walk the beach and check out Lazy Days.

If you want more info on Umbrellas check their facebook page and TripAdvisor and make up your own mind :)

I hope wherever you choose you have a good day.

Arriving by water taxi and then facing the water, in which direction do we walk to get to Umbrellas? Not sure which way to walk or how long the walk would take, thanks for your help!

Arriving by water taxi and then facing the water, in which direction do we walk to get to Umbrellas? Not sure which way to walk or how long the walk would take, thanks for your help!

Facing the water, its on your left a bit down the beach. Basically, walk with the water on your right and it will be about 10 minutes down the beach.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We were at umbrellas today. Arrived at noon. Got our lunch at 1:15 pm. The service was excruciatingly slow.

The fish sandwich was everyone's favorite main. The pineapple baked beans was our favorite side dish.

We rented beach chairs out front from a local vendor. The water taxi was USD $10 return. There were plenty of water taxis running on this two ship day.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at umbrellas today. Arrived at noon. Got our lunch at 1:15 pm. The service was excruciatingly slow.

The fish sandwich was everyone's favorite main. The pineapple baked beans was our favorite side dish.

We rented beach chairs out front from a local vendor. The water taxi was USD $10 return. There were plenty of water taxis running on this two ship day.

We prefer to say "waitress was on island time" rather than slow service ;p Glad you had some wonderful meals - am heading there now to try the pineapple baked beans xx