Mondoo tours

jfhtn

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
We are on Celebrity Summitt in January and are looking at Mondoo 1/2 day spice tour. Anyone have any experience withis tour?

For the cost of the tour it is hard to beat but I would not use him again. I asked him how many in the group and was told 10 to 12 max. so great we booked with him I did not want a big group to slow us down plus we wanted to spend the afternoon at the beach. Well 10-12 per van he had 3 vans in the group so 36 people? :eek::eek:Not what I wanted, he told us to meet at 8:30 he told others 9:00 and others 9:30 so we sat there a hour waiting on the rest of the group of 36. First stop we got off the van all was fine the stop was for 30 minutes we come back to the van and it was gone. We were told he had to run back to town for two more people we sat again and waited 45 more minutes.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

We had limited time so I was more than a little upset with him.

The tour was good the price is great but my time is worth so much more.

For the cost of the tour it is hard to beat but I would not use him again. I asked him how many in the group and was told 10 to 12 max. so great we booked with him I did not want a big group to slow us down plus we wanted to spend the afternoon at the beach. Well 10-12 per van he had 3 vans in the group so 36 people? :eek::eek:Not what I wanted, he told us to meet at 8:30 he told others 9:00 and others 9:30 so we sat there a hour waiting on the rest of the group of 36. First stop we got off the van all was fine the stop was for 30 minutes we come back to the van and it was gone. We were told he had to run back to town for two more people we sat again and waited 45 more minutes.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

We had limited time so I was more than a little upset with him.

The tour was good the price is great but my time is worth so much more.

Thank you for your perspective! We will be there in January and your experience is exactly what I want to avoid, especially the deception of the # of px on the tour. 24 people that you didn't anticipate is a large # of extras!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite surprised to read the unhappy report above as we returned about a week ago from a cruise that stopped in Grenada and had a fabulous tour with Mandoo...actually, it turned out to be just my husband and I. He was such an informative guide, well versed on everything about the island. Comfortable vehicle, knowledgeable commentary (actually, we almost felt as if we were touring with a college professor). One stop was a spice plantation, and the guests on a ship tour that was stopped there broke away from their guide to gather around to hear Mandoo's far more interesting and complete explanation of what we were seeing. He was extremely courteous, even to these folks "auditing" his course. And, as someone else mentioned, very reasonable cost. We have taken tours on almost every island in the Caribbean, and I do recommend this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the not pleased and would never book with him again group - our guide was arrested during our tour - our driver took us back to the beach and tried to be nice about the whole thing - we were shaken - could not get back to the ship quickly enough - not only never want to tour with Mandoo again but also no intention of ever returning to Grenada...

When we got back to the states, I emailed Mr. Mandoo and asked him for an explanation - I did not get a satisfactory one - also did not get any sort of refund, apology or anything....

Like I said - we were just happy to be getting out of there on time and intact... I don't scare easily and generally enjoy going off the beaten track - this was scary! Clearly no quality control of his guides... would. not. use.

Couple of years back, we had problems on another island with a well-known guide, who came highly recommended on CC and TripAdvisor. Well, you were apparently OK, so long as you got him -- and not his lazy cousin, friend -- whatever -- for your tour guide. :rolleyes:

So, it was understandable that we specifically asked Mandoo (in our e-mails) whether he would personally be conducting our Grenada Spice tour. He replied affirmatively, and gave us specific instructions on where to meet him, in the terminal. We had a van with about 10 people (not quite full), and Mandoo gave us a great tour of the island. He is passionate about his homeland, and conservation in general. We learned a great deal about that beautiful island and its history, on that tour. I would highly recommend Mandoo -- especially the spice tour. But, as with any other popular tour guide, I would want to make sure that he is personally conducting the excursion. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Mandoo is not reliable. We ended up with his lazy brother and the tour was horrible.

We booked with Mandoo for a half day tour on December 1, 2014. I made it 100% clear that we only wanted Mandoo as our tour guide. He loaded us into our van and we ended up with his brother, who didn't give us a true Island Tour. His brother was silent for most of the day. :-( I had heard about him doing this with other people, so I can't recommend him as a reliable tour company.

• 2 weeks later...
I did the half day Mandoo Island Tour last month. I have pictures and details of the tour in my photo review - this excursion starts on thread #127 - page 7.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41632069#post41632069

Thanks for your picture review of Grenada :) ! Seems like you enjoyed your tour with Mandoo.