Silversea letting down Ventian Society Members

beaujolais

I have been a Cruise Critic Member for a number of years and rather than do any posts I like to to be entertained and informed by the many other members with their experiences and comments but I now feel I must comment on Silversea attitude to it's Venetian Society Members

I have sailed over 500 days with Silversea and now feel rather let down by them with their on-board booking discounts. We always used to have at least 12 future cruise booked with Silversea for up to 2 years in advance, depending when they produced their future cruise programe. We used our travel agent shore side for most bookings and after we had done a booking we received our on board booking discount when we did our next cruise but no longer, now all you receive is an on board credit for use on that cruise, which to us is no use as we have been to most ports before and have done all the tours we wish to do, you can only eat in the Champagne a couple of time each cruise and for other paying restaurants we do not use the Silver Spirit, 60 days was enough and we do not use the spar, So apart of trying to spend in the shop, which is very difficult when you consider their range, we have no use for the on board credit.

Silversea are trying to get us to book on board but also now I understand from other postings that there are many "blackout cruises" when an on board discount is not offered

We certainly get other benefits,early embarkation, chocolates etc.,in the suite but these could disappear.Other noticeable things that have changed

are flowers in the bar, all gone, not your 6 star.

Silversea is certainly not tempting Venetian Society Cruisers to return in fact we are now going to other cruise lines and have managed to do over 120 days with RSSC and have just booked our first cruise with Tauck and are looking at Seabourn

Up to now we have always used Silversea but they seen to be driving us away. At the moment we have 9 cruise booked with them but we are now booking elsewhere

The Cloud situation is also very worrying,in July in Norway the ship completely broke down once,lost all electrics at sea and on numerous occasions the companion ways and suites were flooded with sweet water and guests had to be moved, suites 638 and 640 had problems at night with noise from the swimming pool equipment, we were moved and I had a letter with our compensation confirming that the ship knew that there was a problem. Whilst we were on board they stopped the swimming pool equipment at night

We are off in a couple of days for a 4 cruise back to back on the Cloud and all the other 5 cruises are again on the Cloud, as it is ,even with all the problems our favorite Silversea ship, I must have my head in the sand. We are on over Christmas and I will certainly contact duct tape and introduce myself so we can grouse together as I see you will be on board and like me

you enjoy the Cloud

Sorry but I do not know all the abbreviations that regular contributors use I must post more regularly

The Cloud situation is also very worrying,in July in Norway the ship completely broke down once,lost all electrics at sea and on numerous occasions the companion ways and suites were flooded with sweet water and guests had to be moved, suites 638 and 640 had problems at night with noise from the swimming pool equipment, we were moved and I had a letter with our compensation confirming that the ship knew that there was a problem. Whilst we were on board they stopped the swimming pool equipment at night

Very sorry to hear about your problems with SS. Also sorry to hear that the Cloud still has problems with the noise from the pool equipment. This was a problem on our t/a on the Cloud in April and caused the occupant of the Owners Suite (just above 638 and 640) to cancel all his future Cloud voyages.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Beaujolais,

Sorry to hear about your SS problems especially as you are a loyal and regular client.

I used to sail just with SS but no longer since I discovered Seabourn eight years ago.

A 5%on board discount is given for all cruises and as a first time guest you would also qualify for a $400 on board credit from Seabourn.

The loyalty programme is the best in the luxury sector and after 140 days you will be eligible for a free seven day trip which you can combine with another to make it any length that you wish.

Tonight I am going to visit the Seabourn Legend for dinner as she is coming to London and will moor near Tower Bridge.

SS and Seabourn are the nearest two luxury lines by comparison but Seabourn will wow you after your first cruise.

Try one cruise just so that you can see the difference for yourself,you will wonder why you did not try them years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As written in the other thread, the floating on board discount was introduced several years ago, and later rescinded. Everything you mentioned has been in play at SS for several years. It was a generous future booking discount from a Cloud mishap during 2009 that enticed us to book four more cruises. I'm not sure which of the four was worse, none being satisfactory. My tolerance level for poor management is not as high as others.

Everything Luxury stated + a few other items you will find at SB will make you wonder why you had not jumped before 2014.

Silversea's kick in the butt convinced us to not be so wrapped up in one company. We have (repeat) bookings with Celebrity, Crystal, and Europa. Have used QM2 for several crossings. And about to board Shadow to confirm the great decision made a few years ago. Get out and see what others offer. You will probably find a much better fit.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by oregon50

Beaujolais - I'm a bit confused by what you posted. Are you saying that if you book a future cruise while on board, the 5% discount is given to you as an on board credit during the current cruise rather than a discount off the future cruise price? If that is accurate then you might have thousands to spend as an OBC?

Thanks for clarifying.

I have been a Cruise Critic Member for a number of years and rather than do any posts I like to to be entertained and informed by the many other members with their experiences and comments but I now feel I must comment on Silversea attitude to it's Venetian Society Members

I have sailed over 500 days with Silversea and now feel rather let down by them with their on-board booking discounts. We always used to have at least 12 future cruise booked with Silversea for up to 2 years in advance, depending when they produced their future cruise programe. We used our travel agent shore side for most bookings and after we had done a booking we received our on board booking discount when we did our next cruise but no longer, now all you receive is an on board credit for use on that cruise, which to us is no use as we have been to most ports before and have done all the tours we wish to do, you can only eat in the Champagne a couple of time each cruise and for other paying restaurants we do not use the Silver Spirit, 60 days was enough and we do not use the spar, So apart of trying to spend in the shop, which is very difficult when you consider their range, we have no use for the on board credit.

Silversea are trying to get us to book on board but also now I understand from other postings that there are many "blackout cruises" when an on board discount is not offered

We certainly get other benefits,early embarkation, chocolates etc.,in the suite but these could disappear.Other noticeable things that have changed

are flowers in the bar, all gone, not your 6 star.

Silversea is certainly not tempting Venetian Society Cruisers to return in fact we are now going to other cruise lines and have managed to do over 120 days with RSSC and have just booked our first cruise with Tauck and are looking at Seabourn

Up to now we have always used Silversea but they seen to be driving us away. At the moment we have 9 cruise booked with them but we are now booking elsewhere

We are off in a couple of days for a 4 cruise back to back on the Cloud and all the other 5 cruises are again on the Cloud, as it is ,even with all the problems our favorite Silversea ship, I must have my head in the sand. We are on over Christmas and I will certainly contact duct tape and introduce myself so we can grouse together as I see you will be on board and like me

you enjoy the Cloud

Sorry but I do not know all the abbreviations that regular contributors use I must post more regularly

I understand your pain, but may I respectfully suggest that perhaps you need to think about this just a tad differently. Forget about all the variables and concentrate on the constants. Accept that they are clueless to greater or lessor degrees. Arguing about on board discounts is a bit like us all discussing which cheese is cheapest and ignoring which cheese we really enjoy eating. The cost follows the choice. Or should do.

You seem to be fixated about the on board discount rather than which line best fullfills your needs. With your level of cruising - which seems to be a sizeable chunk of your life- you need to decide which line is thevery best fit including all the constants ie your unchangeable constants with product and personal benefits and then secure the best bottom line deal you can on the specifc cruises with the specific line you want by looking at different TAs.

I can predict and play out why so many will disagree with this view if the lines are all differnet then I suggest you work out which line gives you the best days experince per buck FOR YOU and then work out how to get as much of that as you can as cheaply as you can.

Good luck.

Jeff

No I'm saying that if you book a cruise on board you will get, not always, an up to 5% discount off the cruise you are booking, as has been in the past

In previous times if you booked a cruise with your travel agent, shore side, when you were on board your next cruise, before the cruise booked with your travel agent, you saw the cruise consultant and you were given up to 5% off the cruise booked shore side with your travel agent

This no longer applies, all you now get is up to 5% cruise credit to be used on board the cruise booked with your travel agent

That was difficult explaining, hope that you now understand

You appear to ignore or omit two of the significant Venetian society benefits for people who have cruised with Silversea as many nights as you have: free laundry and a 10% just count on all future cruises (Combinable with other discounts such as back-to-back or Venetian society).

No I'm saying that if you book a cruise on board you will get, not always, an up to 5% discount off the cruise you are booking, as has been in the past

In previous times if you booked a cruise with your travel agent, shore side, when you were on board your next cruise, before the cruise booked with your travel agent, you saw the cruise consultant and you were given up to 5% off the cruise booked shore side with your travel agent

This no longer applies, all you now get is up to 5% cruise credit to be used on board the cruise booked with your travel agent

Hi, yes I did fully understand your point.

Jeff

Jeff

I agree with all your comments, it's just that Silversea has a great product and at the moment they seem to be loosing their way and in this day and age repeat business is very important,that's all I was trying to get over

Observer

"We certainly get other benefits,early embarkation, chocolates etc.,in the suite but these could disappear.Other noticeable things that have changed

I don't think I've ignored, " other benefits" as the above from my post mentions

Jeff

I agree with all your comments, it's just that Silversea has a great product and at the moment they seem to be loosing their way and in this day and age repeat business is very important,that's all I was trying to get over

I share your sentiments, but would only say they seem to have been losing their way a bit longer than "at the moment".

They make no effort whatsoever to cultivate existing customers.

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaujolais viewpost.gif

Hi, yes I did fully understand your point.

Jeff

Jeff I wasn't posting to you I was posting to EMTBSAM who didn't seem to understand, see a post above yours

I never can understand why, when someone posts a legitimate feeling about a cruise line on these boards, everyone always seems to try and convince them that their feelings are wrong. Beaujolais has every right to feel the way he does. Anyone who has sailed over 500 days has come to expect a certainly level of loyalty. Silversea certainly wants that loyalty from its passengers. Well, it works both ways.

I never can understand why, when someone posts a legitimate feeling about a cruise line on these boards, everyone always seems to try and convince them that their feelings are wrong. Beaujolais has every right to feel the way he does. Anyone who has sailed over 500 days has come to expect a certainly level of loyalty. Silversea certainly wants that loyalty from its passengers. Well, it works both ways.

Everyone tried to convince him he is wrong? :confused:

Which posts exactly.

Beaujolais, I look forward to meeting you. I will be the one in the pool with a hat and gloves!

Hi hope the pool is repaired and open more than the 7 out of 28 days we experienced on our recent cruise ending 1st Sept.Unfortunately our views coincide with Beaujolais experiences recently and having completed over 600 days it is the first time we have disembarked without a future booking in place for 15 years.The Cloud crew were fantastic and we have posted a very positive review of our recent cruise but it appears SS top management is not in touch with the product as they seem to be mismanaging so many situations and in doing so are undermining the valiant efforts and excellent service provided by the crew on board.A sad situation which we can only hope improves sooner rather than later.

Hi hope the pool is repaired and open more than the 7 out of 28 days we experienced on our recent cruise ending 1st Sept.Unfortunately our views coincide with Beaujolais experiences recently and having completed over 600 days it is the first time we have disembarked without a future booking in place for 15 years.The Cloud crew were fantastic and we have posted a very positive review of our recent cruise but it appears SS top management is not in touch with the product as they seem to be mismanaging so many situations and in doing so are undermining the valiant efforts and excellent service provided by the crew on board.A sad situation which we can only hope improves sooner rather than later.

Quite right. It's amazing how many of the basics seem to have been lost. Interesting when you compare SS with how other service businesses try to retain their customers.

If enough of their customers like you and the OP wrote to Manfredi, perhaps it would sink in. They can't afford to lose you.

Jeff

I never can understand why, when someone posts a legitimate feeling about a cruise line on these boards, everyone always seems to try and convince them that their feelings are wrong.[/Q

I know that feeling :D On another board I was criticised for daring to cancel an Oceania voyage due to the NCL takeover of O and RSSC for a similar Silversea voyage......no one seemed to have read my wish to cruise with smaller, independent lines. :rolleyes:

As a generalisation about CC generally, and your experience elsewhere, that may be true. However in this thread, I don't think any post said that SS are doing a great job with Venetian members or on board credits. I think the tone has been to try and be constructive and sympathetic and providing additional views and information.

I'd say that it is equally a shame to attempt to stir up an argument in a thread where posters seem to me to be genuinely trying to be helpful and where no one has said the OP is wrong. It simply isn't helpful to anyone is it, and simply deters people from trying to be helpful and participate.

Just an opinion .....:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We have only sailed with SS and are new to cruising only 70 days however, we too have noticed subtle changes in the way they operate and not for the better.

Small things like the on board credit and a 5% discount do make a difference. I am now thinking of jumping ship (no pun intended) and trying Sebourne, we may be pleasantly surprised?

If Silversea HAS a great product, is your issue the cost?

The Silversea advantage for me is 1) great staff, 2) small ships, 3) great itineraries, 4) open seating at meals and 5) good prices.

For my last two cruises, SS came in cheapest so I stuck with them. But there have been enough changes of late and concerns that my next cruise will be with Crystal (chosen because of itinerary.) There are just too many slip-ups in service and product to make me want to be solely with SS.

It will be a chance to see what other companies offer in the way of a luxury experience.

In my case, though, I'm extremely price sensitive so may end up with SS for the majority of our cruises since I find they are significantly cheaper in the class I travel and offer exceptional value. So, yes, they may have slipped in comparison with the competition, but for non-expedition cruises, they seem to have dropped their price accordingly and may not be going after the same class of clientele that many of you belong to but are starting to focus on the class of wealth that I belong to.

Edited by CanadianKate

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Beaujolais - we are now back in the UK and if you are who I think you are ( ? ) we raised a Glass or two to you and your lovely wife whilst eating our Baked Beans last Evening!!!! ( If you are not he I apologise ).

We had a great time aboard Cloud and as I was one of the Guests who endured 18 Days of misery in 638 due to constant ' Unidentified Noises ' I share your concerns as I also do regarding the changes re OBD/OBC.

We wish you a wonderful continuing Cruise and hope the missing Container with the Chardonnay eventually turns up - Give our good wishes to Marius and David.