Sand toys for port days?

beachlover777

Sounds like a silly question, but we are taking my son who will be almost 2 at the time to the Bahamas. We are on RCI enchantment of the seas. We are planning for two beach days, one at cococay and one in nassau. Are sand toys available or how do people "pack" them? We are flying into FL so won't be able to pack it in my car. I'm just thinking that some sand toys would help occupy them. I wasn't sure if the islands or cruise ships have this kind of stuff.

We bought our in FL before a cruise the first two times. The first time we left them with some kids in the last port in Mexico. The last time though, we packed them a brought them home. If you nest them just right, you can get them to fit quite nicely. We brought them again this summer and we're taking them this fall. For any remaining "holes" in the nesting, I just packed socks. If your ds is like our dd, he will love it and they are worth bringing. They may have them onboard in the gift shop, but if they don't or they are sold out, I wouldn't want to take the chance.

1st...most kids will be happy with a couple of plastic cups, and a stick! You really don't need actual "toys". But, if you want to bring a pail and shovel, pack it! Stick underwear, socks, pjs,...whatever won't wrinkle into it, and put it in the suitcase! Doesn't weigh anything! You can bring a cheap blow up float...saves you about $14 each on Coco Cay for the rental of a float!

In reality, if your kid has ANY imagination at all, toys won't really be needed...they will find sticks, shells, leaves, etc...and make do.

Thanks! He will be almost two so I was just thinking it may occupy him to have a shovel and bucket. I don't think he will need anything extravagant. I think there is a Walgreens near our pre-cruise hotel that may be a good way to go if I can't maneuver it in my luggage. It's bad enough I have to pack diapers that will weigh me down and take up space.

Edited by beachlover777
Hit reply too fast

We were in Cuba when my son was 18 months and we've cruised a lot when kids were little. The BEST thing we packed were things like a decent sized pail with a handle (like a large quantity of mayonnaise would come in), a few shovels and other good leave behind sand pails. He was entertained the entire week with those items, and it also attracted other little ones to play with him so those few items were worth their weight in gold.

I agree kids find ways to entertain themselves. But it is easy to pack a few toys......put underwear & socks inside the pail for packing..really doesn't take up much room. Try to avoid buying toys at Coco cay...........they cost a fortune.

Thank you! I guess it's best to pack it if possible or buy it before we board. I would think they would have stuff on the private islands but I doubt it's likely.

Yes, there are things for sale on the private island(Coco Cay) but the toys are expensive. They have an open air market that sells all sorts of things like tee shirts, beach bags, etc.

My grandson had a great time playing in the sand with sticks and my flip flops.

Edited by Marie51

Yes, there are things for sale on the private island(Coco Cay) but the toys are expensive. They have an open air market that sells all sorts of things like tee shirts, beach bags, etc.

My grandson had a great time playing in the sand with sticks and my flip flops.

True! Who am I kidding? I will probably be stuck chasing him down the beach haha! Maybe I'll just pack a shovel and he can use plastic cups from drinks (assuming them have plastic cups around).

I have brought shovels and buckets onboard with us quite a few times and they have always been used.My kids love to dig sandcastles on the beach.They enjoy giving them to local children on the beach our last beach port day…especially when we were in Nassau the children were soo excited and even the mother came over and thanked us. It was a good feeling and a memory my children have not forgotten. :)You could definitely just use a beer bucket but I would reccomend bringing a shovel (it doens't take up much room).

Edited by FlaMommy75

buy a bucket of beer on the cruise.....use the bucket (sans beer) for the beach...plastic spoons and cups to fill it....

Smart idea! Lol

I have brought shovels and buckets onboard with us quite a few times and they have always been used.My kids love to dig sandcastles on the beach.They enjoy giving them to local children on the beach our last beach port day…especially when we were in Nassau the children were soo excited and even the mother came over and thanked us. It was a good feeling and a memory my children have not forgotten. :)You could definitely just use a beer bucket but I would reccomend bringing a shovel (it doens't take up much room).

I'll definitely bring a shovel. Good idea leaving items behind for other children there!

I agree with others to bring your own or improvise with cups, spoon, etc. I have some cheap dollar store sand toys I pack for my son that I don't care if they get lost or broken. They did sell sand toys on the last few cruises I went on but they were marked up to something ridiculous-I think $14.99 for a few small toys and bucket.

We have always brought some sand toys with us when cruising. I always bring a bucket and a shovel and a few of the sea animal cut outs. They all nicely fit into the bucket and I simply just put it in the suit case and pack things around it. (I also bring some of my daughters favorite sea creature figures like a shark, dolphin, starfish and so on. They are small and plastic and fit in there as well). :)

Sounds like a silly question, but we are taking my son who will be almost 2 at the time to the Bahamas. We are on RCI enchantment of the seas. We are planning for two beach days, one at cococay and one in nassau. Are sand toys available or how do people "pack" them? We are flying into FL so won't be able to pack it in my car. I'm just thinking that some sand toys would help occupy them. I wasn't sure if the islands or cruise ships have this kind of stuff.

I purchased these from amazon--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A0IBV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the zippered bag is pretty compact and I can easily fit them in the suitcase. Plus it wasn't very expensive so in case I decide to leave it behind and not bring it back home.

On another topic- can I offer a suggestion on the diapers? If you're flying they take up so much room! When we cruised last year with our 2 year old we used diapers.com - they offer free 2 day shipping and will deliver them directly to your hotel so they'll be there waiting on you when you arrive. Highly recommend them!

This does not directly answer your question, but when we realized we forgot to bring sand toys and the kids were looking for something to do I just came up with a new game: let's do a rock/seashell collection! They kids were entertained for hours digging and looking through the water for them. They got excited every time they found a new one, showing it off to the everyone and admiring how big/colorful/different they were. Even some of the other kids joined them in the "adventure", so they made new friends too. They were definitely entertained longer with that game than they ever were making sand castles :o

Just a thought-sometimes getting creative produces better results than you expect.

We drove down, but we ended up buying sand and water toys in Port Canaveral before heading to the ship. Not sure you will have that option if you are shuttling from the airport. I am pretty sure I saw some for sale in a gift shop at just about every port though....and I almost want to think that there was some for sale in the shop on the ship (Freedom of the Seas), so could check into that also.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A0IBV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the zippered bag is pretty compact and I can easily fit them in the suitcase. Plus it wasn't very expensive so in case I decide to leave it behind and not bring it back home.

We got this exact set. It's really small and kept him and some other kids we met entertained. (Thus, allowing us to relax)

We got this exact set. It's really small and kept him and some other kids we met entertained. (Thus, allowing us to relax)

On another topic- can I offer a suggestion on the diapers? If you're flying they take up so much room! When we cruised last year with our 2 year old we used diapers.com - they offer free 2 day shipping and will deliver them directly to your hotel so they'll be there waiting on you when you arrive. Highly recommend them!

Thank you! I will have to call the hotel and see if they will hold the delivery for our arrival.